PDA

View Full Version : You're leaving after only 4 weeks?

DietCokeLover
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
I am so tired of people thinking that children should just go with the flow and be unaffected by change.

I found out THIS morning, that DS's preschool teacher is leaving Friday. She's only been at the school for 4 weeks. Her husband got a job offer back where they moved from and they are going back. No one has told the children in her class yet. We live in a very tiny, remote area, so likely this class will be without a consistent teacher for a very long time now.

Then, I've been waiting to hear from DD's speech therapist who comes to her school to see her. I find out Monday, that the ST moved to Dallas over the summer and someone else will be seeing her.

I know these are small things in the grand scheme of life, but when you have children who have difficulty with change/ transitions, it's a big deal. And a teacher who you've connected with, just ups and leaves you with not much notice. I'm sorry, I just think that's wrong.

I'm sure I should be happy for their family that they are going back to where they obviously want to be, and if it weren't affecting my child, maybe I would be. But, she got a very cold response from me this morning as I was trying to peel my child off of me to drop him off at preschool.

If you're going to work with children, how about trying to have some regard toward their feelings, ok?

lkarp
09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I totally understand how you are feeling. FOUR teachers from DD1's preschool last year left quite suddenly at different times during the past year and the year before that her prek3 teacher ended up leaving a few months into the school year. It made me sick to my stomach. DD was always so sad to find out a teacher was not coming back. DD2 is now going to a different preschool in which the director assured me that teachers are under contract to finish the year.

I'm so sorry you and your kiddos are having to go through this. Change is so difficult for little ones.

LBW
09-15-2011, 07:07 AM
In our elementary school we've had a handful of teachers in the past few years who start the school year, teach for a couple of months, and then go out on maternity leave until the start of the next school year. It bugs the crap out of me because these kids have bonded with their teachers and gotten used to their routines, and then they get handed off (usually) to a series of subs before a permanent replacement is found. These teachers are timing their pregnancies in order to max their maternity leave + summer break time. I get that they can do this, I just think it's unfair to the kids.

OP, sorry your little one has two major adjustments to go through soon.