PDA

View Full Version : The stuff of NIGHTMARES!

Kymberley
09-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I went to the bathroom and glanced into the tub, as you do, before taking care of business. Causually lounging on the side of the tub was a GIANT FREAKING WOLF SPIDER. After my heart resumed beating, I remember I stashed the Ortho bug killer spray (my Jedi lightsaber against all things with eight legs) in the hall closet. With my trusty spray in hand, I doused the spider. Only he didn't curl up and die like a decent arachnid. Instead he crawled into the drain and disappeared into the depths. Of course I ran the hot water for a good long while. Surely this will kill it, yes? Except DH told me about finding a giant spider in the tub a few days ago, and he assured me he killed it by drowning it with hot water. I am no longer convinced that it died. I just know that it will crawl out when I take a shower. I KNOW it! I've been checking for it all day, but he's biding his time down there in the dark pipe. I hate spiders in my house, I hate them I hate them I hate them! I hate this house too! Bats, fleas, mice, possum, snakes, centipedes, and spiders. I am ready to move NOW.

HonoluluMom
09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Eeek! I'm such a chicken that I'd be too scared to use that tub until I knew the thing was gone.

BabyBearsMom
09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Maybe pour some liquid plumber down there to push it all the wya out? Yuck!

willow33
09-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe pour some liquid plumber down there to push it all the wya out? Yuck!

:yeahthat:

secchick
09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Can you close the drain plug when you aren't using it to keep him from crawling out?

Kymberley
09-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Can you close the drain plug when you aren't using it to keep him from crawling out?

Technically, yes, but it's a plug that's not connected to the drain. So I'd have to stick my hand down there. *shudder* I did just give DS a bath after check for the spider, and he's still gone, so here's hoping Ortho did it's job.

MamaMolly
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Shudder! Wolf spiders! EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww! But IIRC they usually travel in pairs, so maybe DH really did kill one and you killed the other?

Ew. Ew. Ew. I just don't think I could take a bath in a tub where I knew a huge spider had gone down the drain. My imagination is just toooooooo vivid.

I could just see those

hairy

creepy

legs

climbing

up

as I bathed.

:eek: !!!!!

Kymberley
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Shudder! Wolf spiders! EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww! But IIRC they usually travel in pairs, so maybe DH really did kill one and you killed the other?

Ew. Ew. Ew. I just don't think I could take a bath in a tub where I knew a huge spider had gone down the drain. My imagination is just toooooooo vivid.

I could just see those

hairy

creepy

legs

climbing

up

as I bathed.

:eek: !!!!!

:rotflmao: We have the same terror inducing imagination!

Kymberley
09-14-2011, 10:11 PM
...wait... They travel?!...IN PAIRS??!?!???

hellokitty
09-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Lol, the spider that would not die! That is nightmarish!

JoyNChrist
09-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm ALWAYS finding ginormous spiders in my bathtub too. What's up with that??

PunkyBoo
09-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Ok, I hate to tell you this, but we saw a National Geographic show about spiders recently (Punkin is VERY into animals - I could not watch 1 second of it but I could hear what they said from the other room). And they said that most spiders can go into a "water coma" for 3-4 DAYS, then come out unscathed. So if they call ball up and/or hold onto something in your drain, they can be underwater for 3-4 days and then come out like nothing happened. You actually do have to poison or smush them for them to die. I recommend the liquid plumber or bleach or something, even if it happened a couple days ago!!!

Yes, I realize this is not helping the nightmares, but imagine how freaked out you'd be seeing it come back out of the drain tomorrow!!!:47:

BabyH
09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok, I hate to tell you this, but we saw a National Geographic show about spiders recently (Punkin is VERY into animals - I could not watch 1 second of it but I could hear what they said from the other room). And they said that most spiders can go into a "water coma" for 3-4 DAYS, then come out unscathed. So if they call ball up and/or hold onto something in your drain, they can be underwater for 3-4 days and then come out like nothing happened. You actually do have to poison or smush them for them to die. I recommend the liquid plumber or bleach or something, even if it happened a couple days ago!!!

Yes, I realize this is not helping the nightmares, but imagine how freaked out you'd be seeing it come back out of the drain tomorrow!!!:47:

Stop it.

My hand immediately covered my mouth when I read this post.

Ok. From now on, I'm stepping on all spiders I see.

Kymberley
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Stop it.

My hand immediately covered my mouth when I read this post.

Ok. From now on, I'm stepping on all spiders I see.

Yuck! The... CRUNCHING! Swiffers are really great spider killers. Especially for ones on the ceiling.

hellokitty
09-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Wow, talk about super powers. That's neat, yet disturbing. I guess I will make sure I pound the heck out of any spiders that I see, just in case they go into a water coma and come back and get me, lol.

DrSally
09-15-2011, 03:16 PM
OMG! I like the bleach/liquid plummer idea. Let's hope DH got the first one, and the one you got was the 2nd in the pair.

Clarity
09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I can sympathize! I never knew that Wolf Spiders grew so large until we moved last year and started finding them in the house.
I thought I'd share our weekend catch:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315533_10150281496662651_591917650_8135009_1330792 85_n.jpg

And a different spider we caught a year ago:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/149608_450931162650_591917650_5925596_7130569_n.jp g

We don't kill them they'd make too much noise. We (Dh we, not me we) capture them and take them to the neighbor's woodpile where we release them.

Toba
09-15-2011, 04:35 PM
*vomits with the added knowledge of a spider water coma*

OP, did your wolf spider show back up??

I think I'd carry bleach and drain cleaner anytime I walked back into your bathroom.

maestramommy
09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I am wishing I never clicked on this thread.

BabyH
09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
I can sympathize! I never knew that Wolf Spiders grew so large until we moved last year and started finding them in the house.
I thought I'd share our weekend catch:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315533_10150281496662651_591917650_8135009_1330792 85_n.jpg

And a different spider we caught a year ago:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/149608_450931162650_591917650_5925596_7130569_n.jp g

We don't kill them they'd make too much noise. We (Dh we, not me we) capture them and take them to the neighbors woodpile where we release them. He doesn't pull the wood, it's just a pile.

I think I just had a panic attack.

Those.
Are.
AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Tondi G
09-15-2011, 08:16 PM
WOW thats a big hairy beast! YIKES!

Yeah to the OP I think a gallon of bleach would be going down my drain!

MamaMolly
09-15-2011, 11:51 PM

Bye, I'm going to my happy place now. Where there aren't any breath holding super spiders traveling in packs like some arachnid version of Hell's Angels.

Crunch indeed.

Assuming the fetal position, with the covers over my head. Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaa

elizabethkott
09-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodo hmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodoh mygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HHHH!!!!
Clarity!!! What! The! HELL!!!!!!!!!
Where do you live so I can NEVER, EVER go THERE?!?!?!?!?!
:shudder:
This thread sucks.

JTsMom
09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodo hmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodoh mygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!

This thread sucks.
:yeahthat:

Clarity, you may be the first person ever on my ignore list! ;)

kdeunc
09-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I did not click on this thread for days because I knew that it had to be about a spider! I have a completely irrational fear of all spiders, any size any shape. But finally I couldn't help it anymore and had to click only to be confronted by clarity's dang pictures. Let me tell you if I saw a spider like that the house would have to be sold "as-is" because I would never be able to set foot in it again!! Geez! Note to self...Go with your gut instinct on opening threads. :)

almostamom
09-18-2011, 01:11 AM

This thread sucks.

First thing I did when I saw those pics was to look and see where Clarity lives. Between what lake and what river. I need to never, never, never go there!!

BTW, had a wolf spider in my bedroom years ago. It did die when doused with a gallon of bleach. Totally worth having to replace the carpet!

Linda

EllasMum
09-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Many years ago, I spent a year in Australia with my family. We had more wolf spiders than I ever care to see ever again. EVER again. Most of them were at least the size of your hand. Hairy and grey. Did I mention they were the size of your hand?? <shudder> This thread is bringing back long repressed fears. :rotflmao: I also recall cockroaches that were so hardy it was downright terrifying. Case in point - a large one (maybe 2-3" long) was crawling across our living room carpet. My dad grabbed a broom and SMASHED it a good 5 times. The thing huddled for a second, then got up and carried on. My dad finally got up the nerve to grab it with a paper towel and tossed it in the toilet and flushed it. The horrible creature clung to the edge of the bowl, water rushing all around, and then climbed up the side of the bowl! Insects that cannot be killed are wrong. WRONG. On so many levels. ;)

mikala
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I read the first post of this thread and thought, "Spiders? What's so bad about spiders?" And then Clarity's pictures did me in. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

trcy
09-19-2011, 10:11 PM
I am wishing I never clicked on this thread.:yeahthat: Another vote for bleach down the drain.