PDA

View Full Version : Stupid dishwasher

Twoboos
09-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Our dishwasher is about 6 yo. It stopped working yesterday. I called the appliance guy and he said, "Let me guess, it's about 6 years old." Why, yes it is! He brought over the heating thing to replace which apparently goes on these things in 5-7yrs.

Well, this one managed to short circuit the whole panel too. So he spent 1.5 hrs installing the new stuff and realigning the dishwasher so it fit again. Yah, doesn't work. Cost to replace the panel plus heating thingy more than new dwasher. Have to buy a new dishwasher.

Did I mention our house is on the market so I don't want to spend any $$$ on a dishwasher??? But I have to b/c our house is on the market. Right now I have a nice drying rack with a door. UGH!!!!

On the bright side, he only charged me for the service call ($70), not the heating thingy he installed, which was $165! :thumbsup:

HannaAddict
09-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Don't you love replacing things to sell your house! BTDT. No fun. Get a stainless steel decent brand builder grade unless your neighborhood needs a name (Miele, Bosch). Sorry.

PunkyBoo
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Can you live without it until your house sells?? I hate to say it, but I think you're better off leaving it and if you get a buyer on the house, just have the realtor tell them the d/w just broke and needs to be replaced, and give them a couple hundred dollar credit on the house sale. That way they can get what they want and you won't notice the cost as drastically in your budget...

Twoboos
09-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Nah, I definitely wouldn't leave it til the house sells. I feel like someone will see that and think, "They haven't replaced the dwasher, what else has broken that they haven't replaced?"

Plus we have dishes everywhere right now (dirty/clean/in process) and I HATE washing dishes, especially utensils.

I am going cheapest stainless. It's just so annoying and I don't have time for this foolishness!!

hellokitty
09-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Ugh, that sucks! I have hated all of our DW since we've been living in our house. Bil sends us free DW every couple of yrs, they are all very fancy schmancy models, but they SUCK at cleaning. I want to do violent things to our current DW, b/c I hate it so much, it barely cleans, it's like it's too snobby to do its job, b/c it is pretty looking, kwim? My DH installed this one, despite reading poor reviews online, I told him to keep the prior one, b/c it worked ok, although not perfect. Now bil wants to send us another one, but it has crappy reviews as well. It seems like these days, everyone is unhappy with their DW. They all crowd the racks together now, use less water, so that they are, "green" and DW detergents are more green now, but also don't work as well as before. Sorry to vent, but yeah, I totally get you on how aggravating DW are, even though the last three we have gotten have been free ones (and they still suck). I would just buy whatever cheapo one you can get that matches the rest of your appliances' colors and cross your fingers that it does ok until the house sells.

Twoboos
09-15-2011, 07:25 PM
all very fancy schmancy models, but they SUCK at cleaning.

What brand name, so I don't buy it, either now or in the future!!

If you don't want to say PM me!

The cheapest stainless is about $329 at Lowes, but it gets such horrible reviews... like don't even last a month. UGH.