PDA

View Full Version : Just A Pulled Muscle?

Raidra
09-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Starting early last week, my husband started complaining of both back pain and chest pain (on the left side, about midway down). He said it feels like it's pain in his muscle, not his heart. At first he described it as two distinct pains, but now he says it wraps around.. the back pain is a little lower down than where the chest pain is. The area is tender to the touch, too. It's pretty consistently painful, it doesn't come and go except that it abates some with Motrin.

So, it hasn't been getting any better at all. Motrin helps with the pain, but doesn't get rid of it completely (even on high doses). He went to see the nurse practitioner on Monday and she prescribed a high dose of Motrin and a muscle relaxant. She also did an EKG, which was normal. Tonight was the first night he tried the muscle relaxant, and took Motrin at the same time. He was still having a little bit of pain even with all that, and felt pretty lethargic (to be expected, I know).

My question is.. it seems like a muscle strain should be healing by now, right? It's approaching 10 days. He doesn't remember injuring himself at all. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

twowhat?
09-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I pulled a rib muscle from coughing. It took TWO MONTHS to heal. And for a week I took the high dose of motrin, which took the edge off but it still hurt.

Elilly
09-15-2011, 06:03 AM
Truly an injured muscle or stress.

fortato
09-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Honestly?
Karma.

I'm pretty sure it's Karma.

JBaxter
09-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm with Kristen. A little suffering may do him good

elektra
09-15-2011, 11:56 AM
My first thought was that it is a ploy to get pain killers. I could be way off of course but I am cynical after all he has put you through, and also based on what I know about addictive behavior.
I do think it could be a pulled muscle still even after 10 days though. And I also think that stress is a likely contributor.

Raidra
09-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Honestly?
Karma.

I'm pretty sure it's Karma.

Thanks for the laugh. ;)

I didn't realize muscle injuries could last that long, ugh. I was just surprised that there hasn't been *any* improvement.

I don't think it's a ploy to get pain killers. I forced him to go to the doctor, because I was concerned it was cardiac - he has high cholesterol, and his dad has serious heart problems. He refused to try the muscle relaxant until I insisted.. he had told the NP he didn't want the script, I ended up calling two days later to ask for it (I was thinking that maybe the muscle relaxant would give the muscle a chance to heal more quickly? I dunno).

I read something in one of my books that mentioned how the stress he's under could cause physical pain, so maybe that's some of it, too. He thought it was from how he was rocking Niall to sleep, since he cradles him on that side. But that seems kind of unlikely to me.

JBaxter
09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
and sleeping on the sofa probably isnt the most comfortable. ( snarky here) suggest he sleep on the nice firm floor.

o_mom
09-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the laugh. ;)

I didn't realize muscle injuries could last that long, ugh. I was just surprised that there hasn't been *any* improvement.

I don't think it's a ploy to get pain killers. I forced him to go to the doctor, and he refused to try the muscle relaxant until I insisted (I was thinking that maybe the muscle relaxant would give the muscle a chance to heal more quickly? I dunno).

I read something in one of my books that mentioned how the stress he's under could cause physical pain, so maybe that's some of it, too. He thought it was from how he was rocking Niall to sleep, since he cradles him on that side. But that seems kind of unlikely to me.

I had a pulled chest muscle about 4 years ago from a really bad cold (probably pertussis). It took a long, long time to heal. I remember it taking over a month to get back to the point where I could really do most daily living activities, longer for anything outside of that. What really, really helped in the end was the Thermocare heat patches. I wore them for the max time indicated on the package for about 4 days and it made a huge improvement. I didn't want to go with narcotics because I was BF and taking care of the kids (they make me really loopy). I improved more on those than I had in the month prior.

Don't discount the rocking theory, either. DH has a shoulder that started as just overuse from carrying DS3 around. Because of his job and daily life, he has not been able to let it fully rest so it is always there, just waiting to flare when he uses it too much or the wrong way.

PT may be a bigger help if he thinks it could be an overuse injury. Strengthening the other muscle properly and learning new movement patterns can really be beneficial.

I'll stay out of the Karma speculation. :tongue5:

pb&j
09-15-2011, 12:22 PM
DH had muscular pain in his ribs for nearly two years, a combo of hoisting the kids and lugging his work equipment daily. He had all kinds of diagnostics, had big time muscle relaxants, pain meds, and PT and none of it really worked. It was seriously impacting his quality of life - being in constant pain and not sleeping well for so long.

He finally went to a D.O. who basically did a chiropractic adjustment on him, and he was completely without pain after just two visits. We couldn't believe it.

elektra
09-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't think it's a ploy to get pain killers.

Glad to hear that. :)

Jo..
09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Deep tissue and muscle injuries last for months.

DH hurt the back of his knee six months ago and it is still a little swollen and painful.

Karma also lasts a long time. :)

I say let your DH suffer a little and you take care of YOU and make sure that you are happy and well. Don't worry about him! Let him be in a little pain...It will toughen him up.

I'd walk by and kick him in the back and say "That hurts, doesn't it? That is about 1% of the hurt you have made me feel. Now deal with it. Talk to me when you feel as awful as you have made me feel".

BabyBearsMom
09-15-2011, 12:37 PM
DH had muscular pain in his ribs for nearly two years, a combo of hoisting the kids and lugging his work equipment daily. He had all kinds of diagnostics, had big time muscle relaxants, pain meds, and PT and none of it really worked. It was seriously impacting his quality of life - being in constant pain and not sleeping well for so long.

He finally went to a D.O. who basically did a chiropractic adjustment on him, and he was completely without pain after just two visits. We couldn't believe it.

I know some people aren't keen on this, but I would see a chiropractor. I will have pain that I swear is a muscle pain, but come to find out the way my spine is resting is pushing on a nerve which is impacting the muscle. One or two adjustments and I feel great again. I don't take pain medication at all if I can help it (I have bad reactions to it), and chiropractor has been a life saver to me. And I am not a crunchy granola person at all and really don't believe in most new agey stuff.

Raidra
09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
All joking aside, I don't actually want him to be in pain. On a purely practical level, I need him to be able to do his normal stuff around the house. ;) I'm not offended by the joking or anything, don't worry.. it's nice to have a laugh. But I'm really not a vindictive person, and plus, I want him to be able to do what he needs to do without being in pain (he hasn't been begging off any chores or anything yet).

I'll ask to see if he thinks heat packs might help. Are the Thermocare things reusable? We have a pack that we can heat up somewhere.. I'll have to dig around for it.

Neither of us have a problem with chiropractic care in theory, but money is incredibly tight right now, and I'd hate to shell out a lot of money and not get results. Maybe in another week or two if it's not improving at all.

BabyBearsMom
09-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Neither of us have a problem with chiropractic care in theory, but money is incredibly tight right now, and I'd hate to shell out a lot of money and not get results. Maybe in another week or two if it's not improving at all.

Check your insurance. Mine covers chiropractic care. I pay a $12 co-pay per session.

Indianamom2
09-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Stress can cause all sorts of chest/back/neck pains.
The other thought that came to mind was a possible kidney issue/infection. I once had pain that sounds very similar and ibuprofen barely touched it. Turns out I had a raging kidney infection (this pain had been going on for about 3 weeks and by the time it was done, I couldn't bare to even rest against a pillow it hurt so much).

Uno-Mom
09-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I know some people aren't keen on this, but I would see a chiropractor. I will have pain that I swear is a muscle pain, but come to find out the way my spine is resting is pushing on a nerve which is impacting the muscle. One or two adjustments and I feel great again. I don't take pain medication at all if I can help it (I have bad reactions to it), and chiropractor has been a life saver to me. And I am not a crunchy granola person at all and really don't believe in most new agey stuff.

Raidra, I'm staying out of the karma speculation with difficulty.

Because lots of people might read this thread for info: I'll give another vote for chiropractic. I have a pain very similar to Raidra's husband and it is a combo of muscle adjustment and rib/spine position. My chiro does very tiny adjustments along with an exercise regimen to strengthen the muscles into their proper alignment. She's trying to work herself out of a client.

My issues are from doing things lop-sided. The worst part was that I wore my daughter in a sling over only one shoulder (you're supposed to alternate) for about 5 months. And I carry heavy messenger bags over one shoulder.

Chiro saved my poor DH who was crippled from back pain. His was muscular, too, and also posture/alignment. The exercize regimen was key for him.

oneplustwo
09-15-2011, 01:33 PM
I think others have given great suggestions and real life experiences for you to draw on, so I'll stick with the karma question. If it were really karma, it would be a very different part of his body that would be in pain. ;)

o_mom
09-15-2011, 01:34 PM
A
I'll ask to see if he thinks heat packs might help. Are the Thermocare things reusable? We have a pack that we can heat up somewhere.. I'll have to dig around for it.

They are not reusable, but you can get generic ones at Dollar Tree. They are about the same size as the Neck/Wrist/Shoulder ones, but if he needs a larger area you could probably put two of them on next to each other. There are also coupons on the Thermacare website. Each one last about 8 hrs and you are not supposed to use more than one in 24 hrs.

mariza
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM
First of all, I love that you are maintaining your sense of humor :heartbeat: second, if you are looking for something reusable for heat, put some plain old dry rice in a sock/pillowcase, whatever you have laying around and heat in the microwave for a minute or two (test to make sure its not too hot) and apply to the affected area. It's cheap and it works.

pb&j
09-15-2011, 01:39 PM
All joking aside, I don't actually want him to be in pain. On a purely practical level, I need him to be able to do his normal stuff around the house. ;) I'm not offended by the joking or anything, don't worry.. it's nice to have a laugh. But I'm really not a vindictive person, and plus, I want him to be able to do what he needs to do without being in pain (he hasn't been begging off any chores or anything yet).

The D.O. that DH saw was actually covered by our insurance, and is a sports med and rehab guy, not a chiro (which wouldn't have been covered by insurance).

Raidra
09-15-2011, 02:06 PM
I think others have given great suggestions and real life experiences for you to draw on, so I'll stick with the karma question. If it were really karma, it would be a very different part of his body that would be in pain. ;)

Yes, but if *that* area were in pain, he'd be in for a you-know-what kicking. That would definitely be the time to exact some revenge. ;)

billysmommy
09-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Check your insurance. Mine covers chiropractic care. I pay a $12 co-pay per session.

:yeahthat:
Most insurances in MA cover chiropractic. It would either be written on your card or you can call the cust service # on your card and ask if your plan covers it.