PDA

View Full Version : Lodging around Grand Canyon

mom_hanna
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Places to stay just outside Grand Canyon Natl Park? We (me, dh, ds-5 and dd-7) will be there in November and are hoping to find somewhere reasonably priced. I have not read too much positive about lodging in the park unless it is one of the really expensive places. Thanks!

pb&j
09-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Lodging in the park is basic, but the location can't be beat - you're literally on the rim.

If your intent is to spend time in the park, deal with the tiny towels and no TV and stay in the park. Lodging outside the park is pretty far away, and if you want to spend most of your visit in the park, would be pretty inconvenient. If cable TV and a swimming pool figure prominently in your plans, by all means stay outside the park.

StantonHyde
09-20-2011, 03:07 PM
We made plans to stay outside the park this past spring, but we were going early and the weather was not going to be so we cancelled. So I can't give you an actual report but I can tell you my plan:

Stay at the Holiday Inn (express?) that has suites just south of the park. In Tusyan (??) It isn't that far into the park and it has a pool and TV and more restaurants.

We just did a Yellowstone trip with the kids and you pretty much have to stay int he park in order to see it. It was ok but the kids LOVED the hotels we stayed in just outside the park on our way there/home. And to be perfectly honest--so did I!!!!!!

mom_hanna
09-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks! I am actually looking at the Holiday Inn Express as it is one of the more affordable (cheaper) places that I have found. And since we will be there in November and not necessarily great weather for hiking, etc. a pool and other activities would be nice options to have. If it were spring/fall, I would be more open to staying in the park.

justlearning
09-21-2011, 11:16 PM
The Holiday Inn Express looks lovely from the pics. We booked through Hotwire last year and ended up staying at the Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn in Tusayan. We had no problems there and enjoyed the breakfast buffet before heading to the canyon.