PDA

View Full Version : Toddler boots not made of lead?

Uno-Mom
09-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Ok... I'm going to make a confession. Ever since it dawned on me that I might procreate someday, I've looked forward to buying rubber boots for my toddler. You know that stage where little girls wear boots + tutu + fireman hat? This is the only clothes-related developmental stage that gets me sentimental and gooey. :love5:

Sprog is now at that stage, except substitute a pirate hat or bucket (don't ask) for the fireman helmet.

So. I stopped at a store yesterday to check out rubber boots. I cannot believe how heavy those things are! My clutzy kid would fall down every three seconds. Granted, I only checked out one store so far.

Tomorrow is my day off for shopping - does anybody have a suggestion for toddler boots size 5-6ish that don't have an amazingly heavy tread? Oh, and they must be super-cool and coordinate well with pirate regalia. I'd like to narrow down my search and I'd like to find them IRL if possible. Stores I could hit include: Target, Payless, Walmart, Old Navy, HA outlet (do they do rubber boots?)...

Melaine
09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
My favorite boots are unfortunately no longer being made, but you might be able to find them on ebay. My girls had the pink Crocs Georgie and I thought they were JUST adorable. The best part about them is they are light as a feather and can be rinsed inside and out because they don't have fabric inside like some others. My girls loved them and I'm SO bummed I didn't buy extra pairs when they were on clearance.

robinsmommy
09-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I love, love, love Wellipets boots for that age. BUT they are impossible to find here nowadays, unless you find them used somehow (or have family in Britain).

They are very light, cute (frogs, ladybugs, ducks) and really durable. They also run a size or so big, IMO.

Not sure what else is comparable - maybe the Kamiks for little kids? I think those were a bit lighter and more flexible than the super-cheap ones. They aren't as light as the Wellipets, but better than many.

http://www.zappos.com/kamik-rain-boots-girls-shoes/CK_XAcABA-ICAgEY.zso?t=kamik+rain+boots

TwinFoxes
09-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I have a "don't buy" recommendation. The Crocs Crocsally's were super lightweight and cute, and absolutely impossible to get on. It wasn't a size issue, because I put S's boots on D's feet, so the should have been huge, and I could barely bend her foot to fit. Once they were on, they were of course, huge. Too bad too, because they are very cute.

WatchingThemGrow
09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
target has some

Ladybug47
09-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I was wondering this, too -- I just ordered a pair of the Missoni toddler rainboots in size small (size 7-8 toddler) in purple rose print from Target.com to save for my daughter to grow into, but in the store that same type of boot in a different print seemed pretty heavy and I also wondered how easy they would be to get off and on. Is it best to find boots for toddlers that have some sort of side-opening or zipper up the side? My son is about size 8 right now and he's still trips over his feet a lot even in Stride Rites, so I wonder if those types of boots and their weight at his age and coordination-level would make it hard for him to walk and make him frustrated or increase the tripping accidents...

Ladybug47
09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
These are the ones I ordered, but I am worried about the weight now!

http://www.target.com/p/Toddler-Girls-Missoni-for-Target-174-Rose-Print-Rain-Boots-Multicolor/-/A-13479029

lovebebes
09-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Aigle rain boots are the BEST.

Uno-Mom
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Those purple boots are super-cute. I followed your link to Target. I notice there is another style...

http://www.target.com/p/Toddler-Sprinkle-Dot-Rain-Boots-Navy-Multicolor/-/A-12301216

...that has a buckle and seems to allow the boot to open up bit. Has anybody had that style (not necessarily the target brand) and does that make it easier to get on / off?

I linked to the dot style but there's also a frog print with less color. In the frog print, you can tell that the upper part of the boot is thinner (maybe stretchy?) and the shoe part is thicker rubber.

AnnieW625
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
My dad bought DD1 some pink polka dot rainboots from Target when she was 2/1/2 and she had no problems walking in them; she'd been walking for about a year then. I was tempted by the Missoni boots too, but I didn't buy them because I wasn't sure how much DD1 would like them so if they are at my Target then maybe we'll look at them.

Uno-Mom
09-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I just realized that many people could assume I'm concerned about literal lead content in the shoes ... oops. :)

lizzywednesday
09-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I got DD's from the OshKosh outlet; they're green with little pink scottie dogs on them:

http://www.carters.com/oshkoshbgosh/Scottie-Dog-Rainboots/V_OKF11RB06,default,pd.html?cgid=oshkosh-baby-girl-shoes

They're a bit big and they go up to her knees, but she doesn't care because they mean she's allowed to splash in the puddles outside.

mommytoC
09-15-2011, 04:33 PM
My favorite boots are unfortunately no longer being made, but you might be able to find them on ebay. My girls had the pink Crocs Georgie and I thought they were JUST adorable. The best part about them is they are light as a feather and can be rinsed inside and out because they don't have fabric inside like some others. My girls loved them and I'm SO bummed I didn't buy extra pairs when they were on clearance.

:yeahthat:
We love these, too...I bought them up to size 3, and I'm so glad! We also have two pairs of Crocs Jaunt for DD#2, in 8/9, and in 10/11. They're a little narrower at the top, but otherwise also really great.

Link:
http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=41777&vid=1&pid=781219&scid=781219002
and in blue:
http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=41777&vid=1&pid=781218&scid=781218002

Melaine
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I just realized that many people could assume I'm concerned about literal lead content in the shoes ... oops. :)

That was definitely my first thought!

willow33
09-15-2011, 06:54 PM
DD has iplay rainboots that I love!

http://www.amazon.com/I-Play-Solid-Rubber-Rainboots-PARENT/dp/B002OEBE96

They are lightweight and a very soft rubber.

zag95
09-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Uno mom-
We live in the Portland area- the best boots I have found for my DD have been at Coastal Farm and Ranch (there is one in the little shopping center just before the 205 overpass going in on 99e toward Oregon City).

We like these because they have handles which make them easy to pull off and on. The first pair DD had were red. The current pair is yellow- the next pr will probably be another fun primary color. They run about 11-12 bucks and last all year. We wear them to the pumpkin patch, the park, and pretty much all winter when it rains (basically all yr!)

Hope you find something that works for you!

ThreeofUs
09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Crocs! ITA, super light, very useful, majorly cute colors and patterns.

Uno-Mom
09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Uno mom-
We live in the Portland area- the best boots I have found for my DD have been at Coastal Farm and Ranch (there is one in the little shopping center just before the 205 overpass going in on 99e toward Oregon City).

We like these because they have handles which make them easy to pull off and on. The first pair DD had were red. The current pair is yellow- the next pr will probably be another fun primary color. They run about 11-12 bucks and last all year. We wear them to the pumpkin patch, the park, and pretty much all winter when it rains (basically all yr!)

Hope you find something that works for you!

Hmmm... I'm intrigued. I haven't gone in there since we stocked up on organic fertilizer 5 years ago. And as a bonus, if I'm already heading south I might as well keep going, cross into Lake Oswego and hit the Hanna Anderson outlet, right? (This is a stretch, I realize.)

Thanks for all the tips, folks! Btw - I stopped at Target today and they had very few in the store. So don't waste your time yet, if you're looking. Like Zag pointed out, it's pretty damp in our neck of the country so I bet we get the ealier rain gear shipments!

Uno-Mom
09-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Ok, Zag: I took your advice and stopped in there. Love the boots! The size 5 swims on Sprog's feet and she refuses to walk in them, oh well. She seems to be addicted to pulling them off and on but will.not.stand.

I'm sure she'll change her mind soon.

zag95
09-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Uno-
Glad you had success! Have fun- isn't this fall weather crazy so far? One week its 90s.... next we in the 60s- ahhh the life of Oregon!

BabyBearsMom
10-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I know this post is old, but I wanted to add that I just got DD rain boots from Next Direct and they are adorable and not too heavy at all. I tried her in the ones at Target and those do weigh a ton but the Next Direct ones are significantly lighter. Also tons of cute patterns. The pair we bought was $14which was cheaper than at Target too. DD loves them.

crl
10-28-2011, 07:32 PM
I know this post is old, but I wanted to add that I just got DD rain boots from Next Direct and they are adorable and not too heavy at all. I tried her in the ones at Target and those do weigh a ton but the Next Direct ones are significantly lighter. Also tons of cute patterns. The pair we bought was $14which was cheaper than at Target too. DD loves them.

We like our Next Direct rain boots too. :D I haven't bought Target boots lately so I can't compare though.

Catherine

Ladybug47
10-28-2011, 08:03 PM
I'd never heard of Next Direct before, but it looks cool. What's it all about? (How is the quality? Is it all a Next Direct brand name or do they sell all kinds of brands? What do people normally get from there for a good deal?)