PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash your infant's hair?

rolypoly27
09-15-2011, 12:28 PM
We've been using a Primo Eurobath to wash our 7mo since she was a newborn. We still use the reclined newborn side to wash her hair so soap and water don't get in her eyes. I use a cup with a handle to pour water over her hair to rinse out the shampoo. It worked well when she was smaller, but now she wants to sit up, splash around, and play with her toys. I tried sitting her up and bathing her that way, but then water gets in her nose and throat and she starts coughing and crying and getting really upset. I was thinking of getting one of those removable showerheads if that would help. Any tips for a FTM?

BabyBearsMom
09-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I think I may be a bad mom, but I just poor a cup of water over DD's head. Her shampoo is tear free. She doesn't like it, she whines while I do it, but then I wipe her face with a wash cloth, give her a kiss on the nose and let her play with the cup in the water. They do make these little visors that you put on kids so that the water doesn't flow onto their faces if you are so inclined.

Trigglet
09-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I do the same thing as I do when washing my dogs' heads (!) - I click my fingers above their head so they look up and then quickly empty a container of water over their hair/fur :ROTFLMAO: - et voila, no soap/shampoo in doggy or baby faces yay!

You do have to be quick, but it works.

JBaxter
09-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I bathed my kids in my kitchen sink so I would bath them then wrap in a towel then hold their head under the sprayer

waitingforgrace
09-15-2011, 12:42 PM
We just pour water over the head. I usually shield her face with my hand but water does get on her and she doesn't like it but it's over fast and she has to get used to it. Now at 19 months she'll take showers with me which I love because it's so much easier.

BDKmom
09-15-2011, 12:45 PM
I think I may be a bad mom, but I just poor a cup of water over DD's head. Her shampoo is tear free. She doesn't like it, she whines while I do it, but then I wipe her face with a wash cloth, give her a kiss on the nose and let her play with the cup in the water. They do make these little visors that you put on kids so that the water doesn't flow onto their faces if you are so inclined.

We do this with DS, also. DH started it, and he doesn't really cry, but it always makes him want to stand up. So I dump one cup to wet his hair, soap it up, the one cup to rinse. I wouldn't say he likes it, but it doesn't seem to bother him too much. He's easily distracted, so when I'm done, I just quickly redirect him to his bath toys.

I have always wondered if the visors actually work.

rolypoly27
09-15-2011, 12:54 PM
I guess everyone else does the "cup of water over the head" thing too. I'll just keep doing that and eventually she'll get used to it and learn to cope with it, right? Thanks for the tips!

sunshine873
09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
We did the cup of water over the head thing too. The sputtering & getting mad didn't last for long. We turned it into a game - part of the fun of being in the tub is splashing around a little. DH will purposefully & randomly splash DD in the face with water. Somewhere after a year old she started to laugh at it. Now she's a water baby - blowing bubbles, dunking her head on her own, taking showers etc. I think it's a good thing for them to get used to a little water on their face & realize that it's not going to hurt them & can actually be fun.

BabyDahl
09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
We use a plastic watering can. That way we can direct the water back away from her ears. But her face does get wet.

momm
09-15-2011, 01:29 PM
We just pour water over his head, so as to get him used to water in his face.

lizzywednesday
09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I think I may be a bad mom, but I just pour a cup of water over DD's head. ... She doesn't like it, she whines while I do it, but then I ... let her play with the cup in the water. They do make these little visors that you put on kids so that the water doesn't flow onto their faces if you are so inclined.

:yeahthat: (Edited to show what I do, which is pretty much the same thing as BabyBearsMom, minus the washcloth. And I don't think that we are bad moms to do this; it's just if we fussed over it, I think we'd never wash our LOs' hair!!)

Though, lately, DD has been joining me in the shower and that actually works out the best!

maestramommy
09-15-2011, 01:33 PM
We use a hose for bathing our kids. So for a baby that young, when it was time to wet or rinse, we'd lean her back and hose down her head. When we didn't have the hose we used cups for pouring.

lovebebes
09-15-2011, 01:43 PM
i use a shower with a hose, really helps. i installed it there just for this reason.

sweetsue98
09-15-2011, 02:04 PM
I taught her to lean her head back and I pour a cup of water over her head. It's either that or water in her face.

Giantbear
09-15-2011, 02:13 PM
i think i have a strange child, i just pour a couple of cups of water over her head and she erupts in laughter. I use no tears. I used to try and get her to lean back to avoid her face, but she would always lean forward, so i just went with it. She saves her tears for when it is time to get out of the tub, kid sure does like her water.

Giantbear
09-15-2011, 02:14 PM
We use a hose for bathing our kids. So for a baby that young, when it was time to wet or rinse, we'd lean her back and hose down her head. When we didn't have the hose we used cups for pouring.
front or backyard??
:hysterical:

khalloc
09-15-2011, 02:18 PM
with shampoo and water...and the help of the pull out faucet in my kitchen sink. I kept the baby reclining.

twowhat?
09-15-2011, 02:32 PM
1) I put baby shampoo into a foam pump - easy to work foam into the hair and even easier to easily rinse clean

2) I got really good at using my hand as a "visor" - just in front of the hairline with curved palm towards the back of the head. If you dump the water on and then immediately make a sweeping motion with your hand from front to back, most of the water stays out of the face. Just 4-5 cupfuls rinses all the foam off. Mine are 3 and I STILL do this (though now I ask them to look up first).

Though I will say - DH cannot, for the life of him, do the "visor" like I can. I think it's super easy but he just can't do it and I can imagine that maybe this is easier for some people to do than others.

rin
09-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I tilt her head back a bit, using one hand to sort of form a visor over her face (basically I cup her forehead with my left hand so that my thumb extends over one side of her forehead and my index finger & the other fingers over the other side of her forehead), and just pour the water over. It seems to work!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-15-2011, 03:43 PM
count me in as another one of the "bad moms" who just pours water over DC's head. DS gets annoyed, but i've tried getting him to lean his head back, and he NEVER listens. so he gets water in his eyes, mouth etc. i dont know, he gets annoyed but then within seconds he's back to playing with his toys.

i remember when i was really little my mom teaching me how to look up when she poured water on my head. that worked the best. but i think the kid has to be old enough (2 or 3?) to understand to do that. i've tried "tricking" DS to looking up with a toy or whatever, but never works.

maestramommy
09-15-2011, 04:22 PM
front or backyard??
:hysterical:
:11::p All right, a SHOWER hose, Mr. Smartypants!

mackmama
09-15-2011, 04:52 PM
I usually bring DC into the shower with me and wash with a shower hose. Otherwise I wrap DC in a towel and use the shower sprayer.

indigo99
09-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Sometimes I trick DS into looking DOWN when I pour water over his head. Usually if there's a toy in the tub (outside of his tub) then he'll want to lean over and try to get it. When he's looking down, the water doesn't get in his face all that much. He doesn't complain about it as much when DH does it though, and he just pours cups of water over his head. I don't want him to be weird about getting his face wet, but I do rinse his hair a lot more thoroughly than DH too.

baileygirl
09-15-2011, 06:03 PM
We always just poured water over our kids' heads. We did count to 3 before dumping it, so they knew to expect it.