PDA

View Full Version : CNN on dental X ray safety

brittone2
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/15/health/living-well/dental-x-rays/index.html?hpt=hp_bn6

I thought I'd post as I've seen this topic come up on the boards before. I thought there were several interesting points in this piece.

Our previous pedi dentist didn't do routine xrays in children (eta: every 6 months) and felt they weren't necessary at every visit. He was very "mainstream" but didn't overdo the xrays. DS1 had a few because he had an early cavity and he has an extra adult tooth that is being monitored. Even then, we did not get xrays every 6 months. I like that he didn't overuse them. Our current (non pedi) dentist does not do routine xrays every visit either.

eta: obviously there are times they are warranted (and as I mentioned, my oldest son has had a few that I do think were warranted), but I thought the FDA/ADA guidelines were interesting and something to be aware of.

MommyofAmaya
09-15-2011, 02:18 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/15/health/living-well/dental-x-rays/index.html?hpt=hp_bn6

I thought I'd post as I've seen this topic come up on the boards before. I thought there were several interesting points in this piece.

Our previous pedi dentist didn't do routine xrays in children and felt they weren't warranted. He was very "mainstream" but didn't overdo the xrays. DS1 had a few because he had an early cavity and he has an extra adult tooth that is being monitored. Even then, we did not get xrays every 6 months. I like that he didn't overuse them. Our current (non pedi) dentist does not do routine xrays every visit either.

eta: obviously there are times they are warranted (and as I mentioned, my oldest son has had a few that I do think were warranted), but I thought the FDA/ADA guidelines were interesting and something to be aware of.

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, DS just had dental xray #3. They take him alone to do the xrays so I am not sure if they are doing the thyroid collar. I will make sure a the next visit when they are planning to do xray #4 (tooth injury and decay issues). :/

Raidra
09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks! It's good to know there are actual guidelines. When I would go into the room with the kids, I would decline the x-rays sometimes (preferring once a year instead of every 6 months) and they always looked at me like I was nuts. Now I'm wondering, because the past couple of times I didn't go in with them, and I kind of assumed that they'd ask if it was okay, but maybe I should have said something. Hmm..

brittone2
09-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks! It's good to know there are actual guidelines. When I would go into the room with the kids, I would decline the x-rays sometimes (preferring once a year instead of every 6 months) and they always looked at me like I was nuts. Now I'm wondering, because the past couple of times I didn't go in with them, and I kind of assumed that they'd ask if it was okay, but maybe I should have said something. Hmm..

My parents (who were not particularly holistic or crunchy LOL) started having my dentist only do xrays every other visit when I was a kid. That was sometime in the 80s. It was kind of met with an eyeroll but they complied ;)

I've heard of parents who are disappointed or surprised when their dentist doesn't provide xrays at every visit.

I didn't realize there were guidelines already in place, other than assuming that might be the possibility since our pedi dentist didn't believe in doing them every visit (which surprised me, as he was not a holistic type guy at all). It was nice to not have to make an issue out of it.

mommylamb
09-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Well, I have a dental appointment this afternoon, and while I would have refused x-rays anyway because I'm pregnant, this makes me even more concerned about it. I've had 2 cavities my entire life, yet I think I've had bitewings annually always.

pinkmomagain
09-15-2011, 03:03 PM
My dentist and my kids' dentist both only do xrays 1x a year (every other visit). I wasn't even aware that some practices do them every 6 mos. Seems excessive.

hanaum02
09-15-2011, 03:05 PM
As someone with Thyroid Cancer, I was thrilled to see the actual guidelines in this article. My kids haven't had any xrays since my diagnosis almost 2 years ago. But, now knowing the guidelines, I will allow the occassional xray but ALWAYS with a tyroid collar.

Good article - thanks!
Michelle
DS 9/04
DD 10/07

DrSally
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I've refused them for my kids so far (5 and 3). The last time DS went in, they asked about doing Xrays, and I said I'd think about it. They went ahead and did them w/any apron (have never seen a thyroid collar at this office)!! I was mad. WTH. I'm glad to see the guidelines and will go by those, and also insist on the thyroid collar and apron every time. Each time I've asked for it, they sort of phoo phoo it and act as if it's totally unnecessary, and they don't offer the thyroid collar.

ourbabygirl
09-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for posting! I was surprised that my dentist only does x-rays once a year, but if that's normal, then I guess it's good. I would advise everyone here, though, to schedule your appts. & have your x-rays done between pregnancies if at all possible!
My kids were born almost exactly 2 years apart, and I missed one or two sets of x-rays because I was pregnant. Then after I had DD, I was so caught up with the new baby; as a SAHM I couldn't find a baby-sitter and ended up going more than 6 months between appointments, and ended up needing a root canal which I think could've been prevented if we'd been more vigilant. And those are *really* not fun to have done when you've just had another baby! ;)

Luckily we're done having kids and I'm going to do my best to stay more on top of my dental health! (I've heard that pregnancy is hard on a woman's teeth, too- is that true? I definitely have been grinding my teeth more with the added stress of pregnancy and little kids!)