PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite (EASY) crockpot recipe?

rolypoly27
09-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I got out my crockpot last night that I've been neglecting since we bought it last year. Anyone care to share a favorite recipe? And the easier the better, since I work full-time and don't have much time to prep/cook dinner.

BabyBearsMom
09-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I make a really yummy super easy pot roast. I get an eye of round roast, and I put it on the bottom. Then I sprinkle the top with a package of Lipton onion soup mix. Then I put a can of 97% fat free cream of mushroom soup in and a cup of beef broth. Then I cut up carrots, onions, potatoes and celery (and sometime parsnips, turnips, whatever hearty veggies I have in the house at the time) and through them on top. I mix everything together and then cook it on low for somewhere between 6 and 8 hours. It gets really yummy. I've also added extra garlic to this and it is great. It sounds kind of gross with all the prepackaged ingredients but it comes out good and makes plenty of left overs.

brittone2
09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Salsa and chicken breasts in the crockpot. Cook for a few hours and shred w/ a fork.

CHicken adobo. Vinegar, soy sauce, sliced onions, a little chopped garlic, and chicken breasts or boneless thighs. I like a little fresh ginger grated in. You can tweak this to be really easy and just do the chicken plus soy sauce and vinegar. Soy sauce/vinegar ratio is about 1:1 but you can tweak this (several recipes online). DS1 likes this one.

elbenn
09-15-2011, 04:02 PM
This is really easy. Just put pork tenderloin in the crockpot and pour barbecue sauce on top.

scrooks
09-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I love this website... http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

These are my 2 favorites....

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/12/supuer-simple-cranberry-roast-beef-or.html

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-brown-sugar-chicken-recipe.html

Both are extremely simple....
And right now I have brown sugar chicken in my crockpot almost ready for dinner! It smells great!:D

lhafer
09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I make a really yummy super easy pot roast. I get an eye of round roast, and I put it on the bottom. Then I sprinkle the top with a package of Lipton onion soup mix. Then I put a can of 97% fat free cream of mushroom soup in and a cup of beef broth. Then I cut up carrots, onions, potatoes and celery (and sometime parsnips, turnips, whatever hearty veggies I have in the house at the time) and through them on top. I mix everything together and then cook it on low for somewhere between 6 and 8 hours. It gets really yummy. I've also added extra garlic to this and it is great. It sounds kind of gross with all the prepackaged ingredients but it comes out good and makes plenty of left overs.

I just got through prepping dinner for this meal a few minutes ago! With a few changes:

I use a dutch oven because I can...if I was away I would a crock pot.
I season my meat (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and brown it on either side first.
I put my veggies on the bottom, and put meat on top.
I mixed my onion soup mix and cream of mushroom soup in a mixing bowl, then poured on top of everything.
THen I poured in a can of dr. pepper.
Cover and cook in the oven at 375 for about 3-4 hours, or until very very tender..

Indianamom2
09-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Sweet and Sour Meatballs:

Frozen meatballs
1 jar chili sauce
1 jar grape jelly

Throw it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.

Sounds gross, but tastes great! This is a great appetizer as well.

This isn't a whole meal, but I've found that cooking chicken breasts (I've only done this with fresh, but I think frozen would probably work too) with a can or two of cream of chicken (or whatever flavor you like best) soup is a great way to make them come out super tender and falling apart so that you can use shredded chicken in casseroles /tacos/enchiladas/chicken salad/etc.... Just cook on high for 8 hours or so, until the chicken is falling apart.

Indianamom2
09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I love this website... http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

These are my 2 favorites....

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/12/supuer-simple-cranberry-roast-beef-or.html

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-brown-sugar-chicken-recipe.html

Both are extremely simple....
And right now I have brown sugar chicken in my crockpot almost ready for dinner! It smells great!:D

Oooo...I bookmarked that brown sugar chicken recipe. That sounds yummy!

kbud
09-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
chicken breasts (I put them in frozen)
pour some buffalo sauce and ranch dressing over it
cook on low all day
shred with a fork and put a few pats of butter on
serve on buns

HonoluluMom
09-15-2011, 04:41 PM

I did this just earlier this week and yes, very yummy. I had mine on low for 8.5 hours.

lyt202
09-15-2011, 04:43 PM
For short ribs in a red wine sauce, I season and brown some boneless short ribs (the ones from Costco are the best) and cook with some tomato paste, a cup of red wine, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, and enough beef broth to cover the meat. Add some carrots cut into one inch chunks and cook for 10 hours. Serve over polenta for a perfect cold weather meal. You can reduce the sauce but if I'm running low on time I don't bother to take this extra step.

For spicy shredded beef for tacos, I put a seasoned eye of round roast in the slow cooker with a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, a few chipotle peppers, some garlic and enough broth to cover the roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

elliput
09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
1 Pikes Peak Roast
1 Large Onion
2 Green bell peppers
2 Large tomatoes
One bunch fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp ground cumin
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup red wine

Brown roast on all sides using bacon drippings or olive oil. Slice onion, peppers, and tomatoes into rounds. Place roast into crock pot and layer vegetables on top of it. First the onions, then the peppers, and then the tomatoes on the top. Trim the stems off of the cilantro, rinse, and place on top of the tomatoes. Pour soy sauce and red wine over the top. Add cumin. Cover and cook on medium-low for 5-6 hours. When done, slice and place on a serving tray. Cover with the cooked vegetables and some of the liquid to keep the meat juicy. Serve hot. Plenty for 4 people.

AnnieW625
09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Pulled Mexican Chicken (I made this up):

2 to 3lbs of chicken breasts (you could probably use thighs too)
1 can of diced chiles
1 can of kidney beans
1 bell pepper sliced
1 to 2 cloves of garlic
1 onion chopped
1 bottle of Trader Joe's (or other brand) enchilada sauce
Mexican spices as needed or to taste

Cook on low all day. Is great for tacos, filling for enchiladas, or making Mexican lasagne.

mezzona
09-15-2011, 05:26 PM
kalua pork (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/kalua-pig-in-a-slow-cooker/detail.aspx). 3 ingredients. 16 hours. heheh but it's soooo good! when it's done you shred w/ a fork. you can also julienne some head cabbage and toss with the hot shredded pork.

eta (from allrecipes)

1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.

fivi2
09-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Random questions...

Can I put frozen meat in a crockpot?
(Like uncooked chicken breasts straight from the freezer)

Do I have to brown the meat before putting it in if the recipe tells me to?

Do things like onions get weird if they sit in the crockpot all day?

Can I brown meat (maybe with onions) ahead of time, stick in freezer, and then put in crockpot? (combo of 1 and 2, lol)

Most recipes seem to top out at 10 hours on low, but it is generally closer to 12 hours between leaving the house and eating dinner... What does one do?

TIA!

brittone2
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Random questions...

Can I brown meat (maybe with onions) ahead of time, stick in freezer, and then put in crockpot? (combo of 1 and 2, lol)

Most recipes seem to top out at 10 hours on low, but it is generally closer to 12 hours between leaving the house and eating dinner... What does one do?

TIA!

I don't think they recommend putting frozen meat directly into the crockpot because it can take longer to come up to temperature (sitting in teh zone for bacterial growth longer). I'm not 100% sure if it is a no no but I think it is, although I've done it. If I put something semi frozen or frozen in there, I usually start it on high and then turn it down after a bit.

I would not brown something, freeze it, and then crockpot it later.

You can skip browning for many recipes. It just improves the texture and sometimes the taste. Sometimes I prebrown roasts if I have the time, but if I don't have the time I don't worry about it.

fivi2
09-15-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't think they recommend putting frozen meat directly into the crockpot because it can take longer to come up to temperature (sitting in teh zone for bacterial growth longer). I'm not 100% sure if it is a no no but I think it is, although I've done it. If I put something semi frozen or frozen in there, I usually start it on high and then turn it down after a bit.

I would not brown something, freeze it, and then crockpot it later.

You can skip browning for many recipes. It just improves the texture and sometimes the taste. Sometimes I prebrown roasts if I have the time, but if I don't have the time I don't worry about it.

Thanks :) I am just trying to figure out how/if a crockpot would fit in my life. These were just random questions I have had!

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Chicken breast, taco seasoning, water, 1T oil. Shred the meat 20-30 minutes before serving and put it back in the sauce to get all the pieces tasty. Serve on taco shells and call it a day. :)

Beth

DrSally
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
bookmarking the brown sugar chicken!

ray7694
09-15-2011, 09:13 PM
EASY CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP
1 30oz. bag of frozen, shredded hash browns {I used Ore Ida}
3 14oz. cans of chicken broth
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 pkg. cream cheese {don’t use fat free. It WON’T melt!!!}

Cook all except cream cheese on low for 6 hours. Add cream cheese an hour before serving

Jen841
09-15-2011, 09:22 PM
A few of our stables...

This is based on the story Stone Soup, so feel free to improvise based on what you have on hand.

I got this from a Betty Crocker Cookbook. My adaptations are noted below.

Cook time - 9 to 11 hours on low

In a Crockpot put:
1 bag of frozen meatballs (I get TJ's Turkey ones, but they are on the large side) - defrosted
2 cans of beef broth
1 can of water or chicken broth
1 medium potato, diced (no need to peel)
1 medium onion, diced (I used @ a cup of frozen chopped onion)
1/4 garlic powder (I forgot this and it was just find)
1 16 oz. bag of mixed veggies
1 huge can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs undrained

Cook and serve with bread. You can top with parmesan cheese if you want. It makes the house smell amazing!

Here is another recipe we are enjoying:
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/slow-cooker-green-chili

My stand-bys:
Italian Sausages
Turkey sausages (we like the Hot ones)
Sliced peppers (I used the trader joes ones)
Sliced onions
Can of diced tomatoes (to add spice I used Rotel tomatoes)
Cook on low all day and serve on buns
For the kids, I added TJ's meatballs and the spice was good! They loved the spicy balls.

Overnight Oatmeal - I put 1/2 the fig b/c with all of them it is too sweet for me http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

Apple Pie Chicken
Chicken - boneless/skinless pieces
Jar of Apple Butter
1/2 cup of water
Cool all day on low
At meal time serve over rice and top with crumbled gorgonzola cheese (or cheddar)

Elilly
09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Italian beef

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/original-homemade-italian-beef/detail.aspx

randomkid
09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I also make pot roast in the crockpot - very easy and comes out great. Here's another family favorite:

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Whatever pork roast you like - I like to use lean pork, so sometimes tenderloin if I get a good deal at Costco.
Season with your favorite dry rub
1/2 cup water or broth
Cook on low until tender - will vary depending on type and size of roast

Drain off juices, but save some to add back in. Shred meat with a fork, add small amounts of juice back to the meat to moisten. Add bbq sauce and mix well. I like to put just a little bbq sauce in the meat to flavor, then let everyone add more to their liking. Serve on buns.

Be aware that you can overcook meat in the crockpot. It will come out dry and tough if you cook too long.

fauve01
09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Random questions...

TIA!

i just wanted to say i always use frozen chicken breasts straight from the freezer. I have also made beef stew with frozen meat that was all cut up into pieces before frozen. i haven't cooked a big frozen piece of meat like a roast, so i don't know about that.

I hardly ever brown meat before adding to crock, but it does taste better if you do.

onions (and other veggies) get more and more soft/mushy the longer they cook in the crock.

I would think you could brown the meat ahead and then freeze and cook later, but only if the meat wasn't previously frozen. not sure about this though since i've never done it!

i'm not sure about your last question. there is a yahoo group for slow cookers and i bet you could get an answer there. i think some people have a timer for their crock pot so it goes on after you leave, but i don't know how that works. Personally i don't think i would use a timer feature because it would make me nervous to have stuff sitting out at room temp and have the heat come on later.

i just googled and found this
http://southernfood.about.com/od/slowcookerfaq/f/cpfaq7.htm

http://lifehacker.com/5516337/use-a-light-timer-for-perfectly-timed-crock+pot-meals

it looks like there is a crockpot you can buy with a timer built right in.

HTH!
anne

mimosa
09-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Salsa and chicken breasts in the crockpot. Cook for a few hours and shred w/ a fork.

:yeahthat:

This one is in heavy rotation here. DS1 would eat it twice a week if he could.

I usually add a can of kidney beans or black beans, rinsed (or sometimes both) and a half bag or so of frozen corn. The roasted corn from Trader Joe's is really good, too. Let it all cook till chicken shreds easily with a fork and then cook a little longer so the juice soaks in.

We use this to make tacos, enchiladas, or nachos; serve over rice or even eat plain. Yummy!

Jen841
09-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I have this in my crockpot now to have with steaks tonight.

The Cheese Potato Recipe:
2 lbs frozen hash brown( no red peppers).

1 can mushroom soup.

1 pint sour cream.

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.

2 tablespoons or more of minced onion - about 1/2 onion.

Bake on low for 6-8 hours, will get a bit crispy which is fine.

fivi2
09-17-2011, 09:58 AM
i just wanted to say i always use frozen chicken breasts straight from the freezer. I have also made beef stew with frozen meat that was all cut up into pieces before frozen. i haven't cooked a big frozen piece of meat like a roast, so i don't know about that.

I hardly ever brown meat before adding to crock, but it does taste better if you do.

onions (and other veggies) get more and more soft/mushy the longer they cook in the crock.

I would think you could brown the meat ahead and then freeze and cook later, but only if the meat wasn't previously frozen. not sure about this though since i've never done it!

i'm not sure about your last question. there is a yahoo group for slow cookers and i bet you could get an answer there. i think some people have a timer for their crock pot so it goes on after you leave, but i don't know how that works. Personally i don't think i would use a timer feature because it would make me nervous to have stuff sitting out at room temp and have the heat come on later.

i just googled and found this
http://southernfood.about.com/od/slowcookerfaq/f/cpfaq7.htm

http://lifehacker.com/5516337/use-a-light-timer-for-perfectly-timed-crock+pot-meals

it looks like there is a crockpot you can buy with a timer built right in.

HTH!
anne

Thank you! That is useful information! Maybe I will take the plunge and buy one. These recipes sound good.

Thanks, Brittone also!

icunurse
09-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Just made Caramel Rice Pudding in my crockpot.....

3 c cooked rice (I used brown)
1 can evaporated milk (I used fat-free)
1 can condensed milk (I used fat-free)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 c raisins

Combine in slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours until liquids absorbed to the consistency that you want. Add sugare and cinnamon to taste (I added minimal cinnamon sugar). I also doubled the recipe and it turned out fine (and a ton of rice pudding!).

justlearning
09-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I rarely use my crockpot and when I have it's been for a beef or pork roast following similar methods already described in this thread.

But last night I came across this blog that's designed to provide healthy recipes (along with listing WW points values per serving). She has quite a few crock pot recipes, so I'm going to give some of these a try soon:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Crock%20Pot%20Recipes

alien_host
09-24-2011, 08:20 PM
I do the salsa chicken that I got on BBB with minor modifications:

1 can of corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 boneless chicken breasts - season with taco seasoning
1 jar salsa, pour on top.

cook on low for 6 hours. Shred chicken with two forks.

I serve over rice the first night w/ sour cream and shredded cheese

the second night I put the chicken in tortilla and make quesadillas (mircowave chicken, place on tortillas and add shreded cheese, heat in a skillet until cheese melts) or just wrap in a tortillas

Pulled Pork
I just take pork tenderlions or pork butt. Put a dry rub (like a mesquite rub) and let sit overnight in a ziplock.

Chop one large onion and place rings in the bottom. Place pork on top and cook on low 6-8 hours. I take out the pork and shred. You can use some of the liquid if you like.

I heat BBQ sauce on the stove and mix in w/ pork (I don't cook the BBQ sauce w/ the pork in the crockpot since depending on the cut, a lot of fat can come out.

clc053103
09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Crockpot white chicken chili. I follow this recipe, but marinate the chicken in garlic and lime juice beforehand for better flavor.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotchicken/r/bl118c19.htm

crl
11-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I recently made up this recipe for french dip type sandwiches based on a couple of different recipes I saw online. It is very easy and was well received by both dh and ds (a nearly impossible feat).

Combine a beef roast (an inexpensive cut), a can of beef broth, a bottle of beer and an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix in the slow cooker. Cook on low for about nine hours. Take the lid off, shred the meat and leave it while you toast the sandwich rolls (sourdough is yummy). Put the meat on the rolls. Dip the juice out into cups/bowls for dipping.

Catherine

mrshalco
11-27-2011, 12:25 PM
I picked up this recipe along the way (over the years) so sorry if it's someone's recipe from here :D

Swiss Chicken Casserole

4-6 bonless chicken breasts
1 pack of Stove Top Stuffing
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
4-6 slices of Swiss Cheese
1/4 cup milk
Stick of butter

Place chicken in the crock and put cheese slices on top. Mix the soup and the milk and pour it over the cheese. Melt butter over stuffing in the microwave, stir, and pour that over the soup. Cook on Low for 8 hours or high for 4

We serve it with cranberry sauce and vegetables. But you MUST have cranberry sauce - YUM YUM!

mikala
11-28-2011, 12:20 AM
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tortilla-soup-iii/detail.aspx

This recipe works well in the slow cooker and is flexible based on what I have on hand. I usually just add thawed chicken breasts at the beginning of the cook time and remove and shred them at the end. I've tried sauteeing the onion/garlic beforehand and just adding them to the soup raw at the beginning and haven't noticed enough difference to warrant the extra dirty dish.

If you're trying to reduce canned/processed ingredients you can omit the cream soup and probably even the creamed corn. Black beans and frozen corn are great additions. It doesn't need anywhere near that much half and half and I usually sub in 2% or whole milk for most or all of it.

ETA: This post has great instructions for cooking black beans in the slow cooker. I often do this the day before the tortilla soup and then use beans in soup and other dishes that week. They also freeze well, are cheaper than canned, and are BPA free. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/cooking-dried-beans-in-crockpot.html

Liziz
11-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Random questions...

TIA!

Just wanted to add that I also do frozen meat in my slow cooker all the time...the previous poster is right that it isn't recommended if you look at official sources, but I've never had any problems and use an instant-read thermometer if there's ever any doubt how hot something is. I've even done a big frozen roast, I just give it a couple extra hours.

I've also definitely browned ground beef and onions then frozen in meal-size servings to dump into a crockpot recipe later, works great!

I'm gone from the house for long periods of time like you are, and I love the 2 crockpots with self-timers that I have. I don't think I'd use the slow cooker nearly as much without the timers!

sntm
12-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I tend not to use frozen meats, but I frequently prepare everything the night before (including browning) and put in the crockpot insert, then put the whole thing in the fridge. It's cold when it starts up, and I usually add another hour on low to make up for that.

I also am usually away from the house for 12 hrs plus, and the crockpots with timers are a Godsend. They will keep it warm for a long time. Just be sure to add a little extra liquid to it, and be prepared that bigger pieces of meat (like roasts) will get a little dry on the top part that is sticking out of the liquid. They still taste excellent though.

I don't use a lot of preprepared ingredients, but I really like two cookbooks called gourmet slow cooker (or something like that.) There's a lot of prep, but if I do it the night before, it isn't as bad. The best use of the slow cooker, IMO, is soups, which involve mostly a lot of chopping.

@Lizi - browning then freezing is brilliant! I always make mirepoix and freeze when I buy celery and carrots for a recipe, since we never finish those off. That's a great idea too. I read somewhere about freezing grated gingerroot too, since it's rare to need much of that.

artvandalay
12-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I picked up this recipe along the way (over the years) so sorry if it's someone's recipe from here :D

Swiss Chicken Casserole

4-6 bonless chicken breasts
1 pack of Stove Top Stuffing
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
4-6 slices of Swiss Cheese
1/4 cup milk
Stick of butter

Place chicken in the crock and put cheese slices on top. Mix the soup and the milk and pour it over the cheese. Melt butter over stuffing in the microwave, stir, and pour that over the soup. Cook on Low for 8 hours or high for 4

We serve it with cranberry sauce and vegetables. But you MUST have cranberry sauce - YUM YUM!

Ooh, this looks good. I will try it, but substitute Cream of Chicken for the Cream of Mushroom. I LOVE mushrooms but DH really hates them. Thanks!