PDA

View Full Version : Really angry that gymboree will not take a return without my license.

Edensmum
09-15-2011, 05:47 PM
I spent a good bit of money there recently for uniforms, these are different items than I usually buy there. I have to allow a sales associate to copy the info off my license or pay to ship the clothes back. As I have a defective item I asked to include the other items with the pre paid label and was told they would send anything not defective back to me, and they would not issue a label for the other items so take care of the shipping charge for a loyal customer when this ID policy was written no where at the time of my order. I thought this was against consumer protection laws in many states.

geochick
09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Did you have your receipt with you?

http://www.gymboree.com/our_company/help_template.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306 254236

"Returns without a Receipt
Refunds over $5 will be issued in the form of a merchandise credit or merchandise exchange for the current selling price. Valid identification is required for all returns and exchanges without an original receipt or to receive or redeem a merchandise credit. Valid identification includes driver's license, military ID, state/province issued ID or passport. "

Edensmum
09-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes it is require for ALL returns. It is not on their website or my receipt, it's new and there are no exceptions according to the 1800.

Melaine
09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
That really is nuts!

geochick
09-15-2011, 06:11 PM
You know, I really HATE giving my id numbers out for stuff like that. I'd write a letter of complaint. The return policy online doesn't say anything about handing over your ID if you have your original receipt. If it is a new policy, I'll think twice about buying from them.

Returns with an Original Sales Receipt
Bring the purchase receipt or entire packing slip to any Gymboree store. Credits typically post within 1-2 billing cycles. Merchandise may be exchanged or a refund will be issued in the original form of payment for price paid when returned within 60 days of purchase. A merchandise credit will be issued for returns more than 60 days after the purchase date for the price paid. A return/exchange or gift receipt does not serve as an original receipt.

Returns with a Gift Receipt
Refunds over $5 will be issued in the form of a merchandise credit or merchandise exchange for the price paid.

Returns without a Receipt
Refunds over $5 will be issued in the form of a merchandise credit or merchandise exchange for the current selling price. Valid identification is required for all returns and exchanges without an original receipt or to receive or redeem a merchandise credit. Valid identification includes driver's license, military ID, state/province issued ID or passport.
Gift Cards and Merchandise Credits
Gift Cards and Merchandise Credits may be redeemed at any U.S. location for merchandise only, except to the extent required by law. Gift Cards and Merchandise Credits are valid in the country of issuance only. Lost, stolen, or damaged gift cards or merchandise credit cards may be replaced for the remaining balance upon presenting an original sale or gift receipt. Merchandise Credits are non transferable. Merchandise Credits cannot be used as a form of payment in conjunction with Gymbucks issuance or redemption. Merchandise Credits may not be used online.

wellyes
09-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Radio Shack has done that for years. It's one reason I never shop there. Even if you buy something them immediately want to exchange it before you leave the store, you still have to go through the whole identity verification process. It is very irritating.

I bet gymbofriends is up in arms...

AnnieW625
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
It's rare that I actually return something to Gymboree, but yeah it kind of bothers me too.

Over on Gymbofriends people have said that the reason they are doing it is to track returns to try and get people to stop returning items from a previous sale like COF and buying things from the Baby Sale with the 20% off coupon that ends up being a better deal. Both times I returned stuff last week (one was a return from the COF because I saved an additional $15) no one scolded me for returning stuff though but I too hate that they are asking for a drivers license. People on Gymbofriends are still buying like crazy though.

Honestly I wish they would put in dressing rooms so you could try clothes on their stores and not have to take them home to try on. I bet that would cause a lot less returns esp. now that DD1 is getting old enough and it's easier for me to try her clothes on in the store.

ett
09-15-2011, 07:00 PM
TCP returns are like that. It's a total pain.

jvs195
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Returns are getting more and more inconvenient. I've always hated that Gymboree requires your actual credit card for online orders (difficult when you use the online generated Discover #s and they don't match your card...) and TCP recently would only give me merch credit for an online order that I paid with paypal. I emailed their customer service to be told that was incorrect because their policy states return in form of payment, but they ask for so much id etc.. it makes you feel like a criminal.

star04
09-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah I needed my ID at TCP a week or so ago. It took the return like 3 times longer than it should have, whatever they were doing with it...

OKKiddo
09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
It's rare that I actually return something to Gymboree, but yeah it kind of bothers me too.

Over on Gymbofriends people have said that the reason they are doing it is to track returns to try and get people to stop returning items from a previous sale like COF and buying things from the Baby Sale with the 20% off coupon that ends up being a better deal. Both times I returned stuff last week (one was a return from the COF because I saved an additional $15) no one scolded me for returning stuff though but I too hate that they are asking for a drivers license. People on Gymbofriends are still buying like crazy though.

Honestly I wish they would put in dressing rooms so you could try clothes on their stores and not have to take them home to try on. I bet that would cause a lot less returns esp. now that DD1 is getting old enough and it's easier for me to try her clothes on in the store.

I FORGOT ABOUT THAT COUPON!! Dang it! I just went to Gymboree today and forgot all about it. Would it be horrible of me to go back? I'd get over $40 back if I did.

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2011, 10:54 PM
When I worked in retail ages ago (like 12 years ago) it was SOP to get their ID. There must have been a lot of fraudulent returns within the company. It was stated on the return policy though.

Beth

Kungjo
09-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Yep. TCP does it. That's one of the reasons why I don't shop there very often. Make it's very inconvenient.

mum-to-be
09-16-2011, 01:33 AM
I FORGOT ABOUT THAT COUPON!! Dang it! I just went to Gymboree today and forgot all about it. Would it be horrible of me to go back? I'd get over $40 back if I did.

I'd totally go back with the coupon.

citymama
09-16-2011, 02:51 AM
TCP returns are like that. It's a total pain.

Even if you are mailing back a return? They sent me a prepaid UPS label to send back a defective item and I was going to include another item in the package, both with receipts. Are you saying they won't accept it?

SnuggleBuggles
09-16-2011, 07:59 AM
What info do they want from your ID that you don't want to give? B/c if it is an online order than they already have your name and address, which is usually the only thing they take down off of a license.

Beth

ett
09-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Even if you are mailing back a return? They sent me a prepaid UPS label to send back a defective item and I was going to include another item in the package, both with receipts. Are you saying they won't accept it?

It was a return in store. I don't know about mailing back a return.

dukie41181
09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
What info do they want from your ID that you don't want to give? B/c if it is an online order than they already have your name and address, which is usually the only thing they take down off of a license.

Beth

:yeahthat:

wellyes
09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

Beth

Online purchases always come with privacy statements and an option to opt-out of promotional mailings. Giving a license doesn't have either of those things. That means the retailer is free to sell your info over and over to other mailing lists. Plus, when I buy online, I often use a fake name or a different version of my name (first initial only, or a nickname) so I can keep track of how my info is sold. For example, I can tell every catalog that I get from Bed Bath & Beyond selling my registry info since I bought stuff there as "FirstInitial MiddleInitial Lastname".

Plus online info goes to a secure server. Having the clerk at the store write down your info does not offer the same level of security.
Mainly it's irritating since it takes 4x as long.

Reina
09-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Online purchases always come with privacy statements and an option to opt-out of promotional mailings. Giving a license doesn't have either of those things. That means the retailer is free to sell your info over and over to other mailing lists. Plus, when I buy online, I often use a fake name or a different version of my name (first initial only, or a nickname) so I can keep track of how my info is sold. For example, I can tell every catalog that I get from Bed Bath & Beyond selling my registry info since I bought stuff there as "FirstInitial MiddleInitial Lastname".

Plus online info goes to a secure server. Having the clerk at the store write down your info does not offer the same level of security.
Mainly it's irritating since it takes 4x as long.

:yeahthat: I did the same thing! Haha!!!
I misspelled my last name for my BuyBuy Baby registry on purpose. Also used my middle name as my first name for the landline phone through Verizon (which I no longer have). Both of them have sold my info to sooooo many catalog and credit card companies I'm about to lose my mind!

As for ID info request for legitimate returns, that is complete and utter BULL CRAP! If you have a receipt, there should be no questions. The corporate friendliness/unfriendliness policies always reflect on the individual retail employees. GAP has a very upbeat & positive corporate vibe which reflects to the store employees. They are always happy and willing to help. You make a return at any Gap and they thank you for having shopped there. Please come again!
But Carter's & Osh Kosh group and TRU/BRU group both have this "customer is our enemy" kind of negative vibe which reflects on their store employees as such. Returns are a pain in the neck. Never shopped at Gymboree but from what you are experiencing, Gymboree must have the same "customer is the devil" attitude stemming from corporate, trickling to the retail branch...

TwoToTote
09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Yep. TCP does it. That's one of the reasons why I don't shop there very often. Make it's very inconvenient.

I agree. I have essentially stopped shopping at TCP, too, because of their return policy. The thing that really bothers me there, though, is that they limit the number of returns you can make within a 60d period which is tracked through your driver's license. I always return with receipt and tags still attached so this completely bothers me. So far, Gymboree has not limited the number of returns even though they are tracking it. If they do, it'll drive me to be a GapKids- and Target-only kind of shopper.

emily
09-16-2011, 10:48 AM
:yeahthat: I did the same thing! Haha!!!

As for ID info request for legitimate returns, that is complete and utter BULL CRAP! If you have a receipt, there should be no questions. The corporate friendliness/unfriendliness policies always reflect on the individual retail employees. GAP has a very upbeat & positive corporate vibe which reflects to the store employees. They are always happy and willing to help. You make a return at any Gap and they thank you for having shopped there. Please come again!
But Carter's & Osh Kosh group and TRU/BRU group both have this "customer is our enemy" kind of negative vibe which reflects on their store employees as such. Returns are a pain in the neck. Never shopped at Gymboree but from what you are experiencing, Gymboree must have the same "customer is the devil" attitude stemming from corporate, trickling to the retail branch...

I have stopped shopping at Gymbo stores for this reason. If I need/want something from Gymbo, I will only do it online and pay the $5 shipping. For some reason, that store just rubs me the wrong way. I hate being told to shop for $15 more stuff so I can get another Gymbucks and being treated like I'm committing a crime for returning something. I did one return at Gymbo a few years ago and never again! I dont buy anything from there that I couldnt deal with keeping even if I dont love it.

ckso
09-16-2011, 12:18 PM
I've always had really great customer service and never really had attitude for doing returns. Places like target also tracks your returns....it's a way for them to monitor abuse even if you have a receipt (ie buying something, use it then return it). I used to work for a stock photography co and they buy a lot of stuff for their photoshoots. In actuality, they return most of the stuff becuz they didn't use it but bought it in case they needed it. Thats when I found out that most stores do track and limit the # of returns.

AnnieW625
09-16-2011, 12:58 PM
I have stopped shopping at Gymbo stores for this reason. If I need/want something from Gymbo, I will only do it online and pay the $5 shipping. For some reason, that store just rubs me the wrong way. I hate being told to shop for $15 more stuff so I can get another Gymbucks and being treated like I'm committing a crime for returning something. I did one return at Gymbo a few years ago and never again! I dont buy anything from there that I couldnt deal with keeping even if I dont love it.

I usually do shop online way more than I do in the store because online they have a better selection of stuff, and the $5 shipping is easier than dealing with the mall. I think I have returned 3 things (and 2 returns were last week; the other was in 2007!) to the store in 6 yrs. because I have usually been buying ahead, but this time I was sucked into COF, but then since the pjs I bought were on sale for $10 four days later so I got them for $8 with the coupon it was worth it for me to return stuff and rebuy. I also decided I'd take a chance on playdress for DD1 still being around during Gymbucks promo and maybe on sale so it would make it an even better deal than the COF sale.

poohbear
09-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Every retail company I have ever worked for (including Gap) or shopped at has asked for an ID when returning without a receipt. It's pretty standard because it is a loss prevention issue. I have never worked or shopped anywhere you needed an ID to make a return with a receipt though.

ett
09-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Every retail company I have ever worked for (including Gap) or shopped at has asked for an ID when returning without a receipt. It's pretty standard because it is a loss prevention issue. I have never worked or shopped anywhere you needed an ID to make a return with a receipt though.

OP had her original receipt. It's a new Gymbo policy. Same with TCP, ID is required for all returns even with receipts.

Kungjo
09-16-2011, 03:48 PM
OP had her original receipt. It's a new Gymbo policy. Same with TCP, ID is required for all returns even with receipts.

Yep. I've returned things to TCP two times and I had a receipt and the original form of payment (CC). They still asked you for ID and made it seem like I was doing something wrong. Like I was trying to take advantage of them or something so I really don't shop there unless it's a screaming deal that I know I won't be returning.

3blackcats
09-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't see any issue with asking for Id. It is my understanding that they aren't taking the DL#, just verifying your identity. It's to stop the abuse. Unless you pay cash, they have all the information of your DL anyways.

TwinFoxes
09-17-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't see any issue with asking for Id. It is my understanding that they aren't taking the DL#, just verifying your identity. It's to stop the abuse. Unless you pay cash, they have all the information of your DL anyways.
Your understanding is incorrect for some stores, they swipe your DL. I also don't think they have your home address and DOB if they have your CC info.

TwoToTote
09-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Yep. I've returned things to TCP two times and I had a receipt and the original form of payment (CC). They still asked you for ID and made it seem like I was doing something wrong. Like I was trying to take advantage of them or something so I really don't shop there unless it's a screaming deal that I know I won't be returning.

Same here. And what makes it worse at TCP, IMO, is that they limit the number of returns you can make per 60d period, even WITH a receipt.

jenstring95
09-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Gymboree is definitely using the license number. I'm sure I've got a black mark on my record - I exchanged two things (two seperate trips, too) this week. In both cases it was the same item, just a different size, but I did have to show my license, and the SA was using the number.

KKCmomof3
09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
So here's the scoop if you're confused about Gymboree's "officially-unofficial" new return and exchange policy. As a long time Gymbo customer and loyalist (9 years, 3 kids, $1000's later) I can no longer shop there. What happened to me and is happening to many other faithful customers is simply unbelievable. So I spent $100's in August during the Back-To-School sale, shopping with confidence as always, since I know if something doesn't fit, they don't like, etc I have 60 days to get my money back with my receipt. THEY ARE NO LONGER HONORING THE STATED POLICY AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RECEIPT, STATED ON THEIR WEBSITE, OR POSTED IN THEIR STORES. They are "rolling-out" a new policy that is being test-marketed in several states right now. So it goes like this: months before they implement the new policy, you'll notice they start scanning your DL on any and all returns, and even exchanges, and even WITH your receipt. Then, one day, the new policy is implemented in your state (by the way- NO WARNING OR UPDATE TO THE POLICY WHATSOEVER, SO YOU ARE COMPLETELY SHOCKED AT THE REGISTER WHEN YOU GET A "WARNING". ) They partnered with a company called TRE to track all returns/exchanges. You are now limited to 4 returns and/OR exchanges within 60 days. On my 4th exchange, I got a WARNING receipt out of Gymboree's register. The manager couldn't explain the new policy, so I called the 1-800 on the TRE receipt and THEY explained Gymboree's sneaky new policy to me. UNBELEIVABLE!!! I wouldn't be so angry if I had just been fairly advised on the policy BEFORE plunking down so much money on my purchases. Even though my receipt still states the same old policy, they will not honor that. So consider yourselves warned, and be sure to do a "gymboree listens", make your feelings known on their Facebook page, and any other blog sites out there. Unless they hear from their customers and feel the pressure to abandon this insanity, they will roll it out to every state. Until they wake up, I am personally not spending another dime at Gymboree! This is just wrong! (Interesting reading at TRE's website about how they are "watching" your purchases/returns... they make you feel like a criminal! www.theretailequation.com)