PDA

View Full Version : Can a vendor charge an expired CC?

alien_host
09-15-2011, 06:20 PM
I had a CC listed for Angie's List and it was expired. I purposely left it that way b/c I thought we might not renew our membership. I forgot that the renwal date was approaching and they charged my expired VISA card.

What's the point of having an expiration date if they can continue to use it? Anyway it was totally my fault that I didn't cancel the membership itself, but it seemed odd that the CC company would take the charge.

Any thoughts? Is that the policy of most CC that you can still use the expired CC? I thought that providing the expiration date was a way of verifying the card? Am I off in my thinking?

YouAreTheFocus
09-15-2011, 06:24 PM
That seems really strange to me. I have had several instances of charges not going through b/c the card has expired. Amazon, Zagat, and other websites have sent me notifications that I have to go update my cc on file due to the expiration issue.

Melaine
09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Whhaat? That makes no sense. I have had my card rejected when it is expired so I don't see how it can take charges.

hellokitty
09-15-2011, 06:48 PM
My newspaper subscription ended, b/c my cc expired. I find it odd that the charge went through if the cc was expired. I'd be calling the cc company to complain.

ett
09-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Yes, my AAA membership was renewed even though the card was expired.

american_mama
09-15-2011, 10:20 PM
I've had both happen. A few years ago, a phone payment via autopay was rejected because of an expired card and I got charged a late fee from the phone company. I was ticked.

Three weeks ago, a charge for AOL autopay went through on an expired card. So did a payment for Verizon Wireless for DH's phone.

I think you ask good questions, and I have nothing to offer except my contradictory experiences.