PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT eat any sweets before 1 hour glucose!

hoodlims
09-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Argh. My directions before the 1 hr glucose test stated to fast after midnight if I wanted to be really careful. I ate ice cream after dinner the night before, and failed the 1 hour test. The cutoff point is 140 (140 what, I don't know), and I got a 158. I had no problems with my first pregnancy.

So, I had to take the 3 hour glucose test. I was STARVING, lightheaded, and dizzy, had to drink the nasty orange soda (sugar concentration twice as high), and my results came back....NEGATIVE. Like, below negative. In the 80s. Damn. So for those of you who have ice cream temptations like myself, save yourself and don't do it!

flygirl555
09-16-2011, 09:06 AM
My doctor didn't tell me to fast, but did recommend eating protien for breakfast - such as eggs, bacon and cheese. NO fruit or carbs!

daniele_ut
09-16-2011, 12:41 PM
My doctor didn't tell me to fast, but did recommend eating protien for breakfast - such as eggs, bacon and cheese. NO fruit or carbs!

I have the same instructions from my doc and it's worked the last 2x for me. I'm so sorry that you had to take the 3 hour OP!!

eh613c
09-17-2011, 12:55 AM
I was told to fast for 12 hours! I was ravenous after the test. I think I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner in one sitting!

veronica
09-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Because of stories like yours, I always fast and do not eat any dessert the night before.

sorry it was tough but glad it worked out in the end.

amldaley
09-17-2011, 07:44 AM
I think the disparity in how one hour tests are administered is one of the most frustrating and bizarre things.

There have been a couple of threads here in the last few months on this topic. I had to take mine early and I think my instructions were "eat a normal dinner the night before and a small breakfast and wait x amount of hours before coming in.

I fasted and ate only a handful of almonds and tested 2 or 3 hours later and still failed. But I passed my three hour with flying colors.

I think alot of women fail the one hour and pass the three hour.

And yes, the three hour test feels like torture. When I was there, one woman left to vomit and another passed out on her blood draw.

Multimama
09-17-2011, 09:36 AM
IMO the one hour test is just not very reliable. It may not have mattered what you ate, you might have failed it anyway. It's just a screening test and most women who fail it don't have gestational diabetes. In some countries they just don't do the one hour test because it's not very useful clinically.

katydid1971
09-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I failed the test when I was pregnant with DS#2. I took it the day after Easter and had had a ton of cadbury eggs the day before. :bag My doctor understood and let me take the 1 hour test again and I passed.

LizLemon
09-17-2011, 07:33 PM
IMO the one hour test is just not very reliable. It may not have mattered what you ate, you might have failed it anyway. It's just a screening test and most women who fail it don't have gestational diabetes. In some countries they just don't do the one hour test because it's not very useful clinically.

I agree with this. I don't think the OP should blame her dessert (or herself for having dessert) for the test result. If you body processes glucose normally (and didn't have dessert really late, like 2 or 3 in the morning), the sugar from your dessert should have been long gone. The 1-hour test is a screening test, which means that having a lot of false positives is preferential - in terms of public health, not what individuals have to put up with - to missing a lot of cases. Stinks that you had to go through the 3-hr, but the good news is that you don't have GD!

I had ice cream the night before and scored < 70 on mine. I actually had a lot of carbs the day before, because I heard it can help you do well on the test. (I hate needles and didn't want to have to do the three hour!)

hoodlims
09-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I agree with this. I don't think the OP should blame her dessert (or herself for having dessert) for the test result. If you body processes glucose normally (and didn't have dessert really late, like 2 or 3 in the morning), the sugar from your dessert should have been long gone. The 1-hour test is a screening test, which means that having a lot of false positives is preferential - in terms of public health, not what individuals have to put up with - to missing a lot of cases. Stinks that you had to go through the 3-hr, but the good news is that you don't have GD!

I had ice cream the night before and scored < 70 on mine. I actually had a lot of carbs the day before, because I heard it can help you do well on the test. (I hate needles and didn't want to have to do the three hour!)

Well, I had my ice cream around 11pm (just short of midnight, my fasting cut off time!) and took the test at 8am the next morning. But yes, thank goodness I don't have GD. Not even sure what I would do if I did, as I already eat pretty healthily (minus the near midnight ice cream temptations). I did have a rather large baby for being such a small person the first time around, and I heard consecutive babies get even bigger...God help me.

jjordan
09-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I think it is odd the way different doctors give different recommendations regarding the 1 hour test. I didn't get any instructions whatsoever for this last one, ate my lunch (which had significant carbs) on the way to the test, and passed. So.... who knows.

joules
09-18-2011, 12:12 AM
I honestly accidentally ate an oatmeal cookie before my 1hr test. I think mine was scheduled for 2pm or something. I fasted for the time they told me to, but an hour or so before I left work for the test, someone brought out cookies and I grabbed it and ate it w/o thinking. I failed by ONE point. I think my cutoff was 130. I was at 131.

I also failed the 3 hour by like TWO points or something. I think you need to pass 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 measurements or something like that. The ones I failed were by like 2 points.

I was so upset. But for me, it really wasn't that bad. I just followed the diet (which made me eat way more than I usually would eat...but for some reason I didn't gain much weight at all) and only had to take 1/2 of a TEENY TINY pill at night. The only number I couldn't control with diet was the morning one. I was always off by a point or two. Hence, the pill.

I was so paranoid b/c I heard so many times that b/c I had GD, I would have a huge baby. DS was only 6 pounds and all skin and bones.

ETA: Looking back, I'm glad I failed the 1 hour. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have watched what I was eating as much. I don't eat un-healthy at all, but I think my body really couldn't handle excess carbs. Because if I strayed too far from the diet, my blood sugar levels would go over the limit. I wouldn't have known that if I passed the 1 hour.

ETA2: This time when I take the 3 hour, I am going to bring something to eat so I can eat immediately after the test. I didn't last time. I drove to work, settled in, then went to buy lunch. I was shaking so badly, I thought I was going to collapse.