PDA

View Full Version : Need quick recipe help!

gatorsmom
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Please someone explain to me the difference between finely chopped pecans and ground pecans. Is there a difference?

I have some ground pecans and a lot of coarsely chopped pecans. The recipe calls for "finely chopped pecans." The recipe calls for baking them in the oven lightly and then mixing them into the dry ingredients before mixing with the eggs/wet ingredients and baking. I"m trying to make a cake.

any ideas?

infomama
09-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Ground is flour texture. I think your recipe wants the texture and flavor from the toasted pecans. Just take your chopped pecans and chop them a little more before you toast them.

gatorsmom
09-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Ground is flour texture. I think your recipe wants the texture and flavor from the toasted pecans. Just take your chopped pecans and chop them a little more before you toast them.

I think you are probably right. The words "finely ground" made me wondering how close to powdered they should be.

Thanks!

crl
09-16-2011, 12:01 PM

I agree.

Catherine

ThreeofUs
09-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I think you are probably right. The words "finely ground" made me wondering how close to powdered they should be.

Thanks!

A lot of coarsely chopped are finely ground, imho. I wouldn't use powdered, I would just make sure the pieces are less than 1/4" wide.

Maybe put in a baggie and crush a little with the flat blade of a wide knife?

ABO Mama
09-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Maybe put in a baggie and crush a little with the flat blade of a wide knife?
:yeahthat:
But, instead, I'd whack them with a rolling pin, otherwise I'd end up cutting myself :tongue5: