PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? School activity

lovin2shop
09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I Co-Manage an after school team activity with another mom, and teams are limited to 7 members. The activity has become very popular and we have lots of kids interested, but not enough parent volunteers to start any new teams. We don't necessarily need to Co-Manage (and it might actually be easier for me not to have to coordinate with another mom), but we would then have to split our team up into two. This could get tricky, and our two boys would likely be disappointed to be separated. So, would you split the team up in order to allow more to participation, or keep the existing team together to avoid a hassle over who goes with which team?

ellies mom
09-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I would probably keep the original team together and have one of you take that team and then form a new team of seven with the other of you. One of you will not have your child which could be a bit of a bother but at the same time you wouldn't have to divide up the team and dealing with the bother of that either. And more children could participate.

fivi2
09-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Honestly, I would keep my team together and expect one of the other parents to step up and volunteer to lead a new team. I would help that person get started and learn the ropes, maybe have some meetings (practices? not sure what exactly we are taking about) together to help them out. But I don't think you are expected to split your existing group up just because other parents don't want to volunteer for their own kids.

But I should qualify this by admitting that I am exceptionally cranky this evening!

buddyleebaby
09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Honestly, I would keep my team together and expect one of the other parents to step up and volunteer to lead a new team. I would help that person get started and learn the ropes, maybe have some meetings (practices? not sure what exactly we are taking about) together to help them out. But I don't think you are expected to split your existing group up just because other parents don't want to volunteer for their own kids.

But I should qualify this by admitting that I am exceptionally cranky this evening!

I agree. If it would be easier not to co-manage, and I had it in my heart to continue to volunteer, I *might* leave the original team as is, continuing to send my child to that one, while I headed up the other one. But most likely, I would just leave things as they are and stay put.

kristenk
09-16-2011, 08:33 PM

:yeahthat: If other parents aren't bothered enough about their boys not participating to step up and volunteer to help in some way, I don't think that you need to do it for them.

mjs64
09-17-2011, 12:57 AM

:yeahthat:

Except for the "exceptionally cranky" part. I am only mildly cranky this evening! :ROTFLMAO:

I think that if there's a lot of interest, it's really up to other parents to step up to meet the needs of their DCs. Can you advertise this fact? And say that you'd be willing to help them get started? I don't think it's up to you to split up the original team that's working out so well.