PDA

View Full Version : LeapFrog Tablet

oneontheway
09-17-2011, 07:30 AM
I think these were on sale last week at TRU for $99 but wondering if anyone else got a better deal (I would need two).

Also is it worth the $$? Is it better than the Leapsters? DC are 6 and 4. Sort of outgrowing the Leapster and need something new for Xmas.

emschwar
09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Ds has one and it's fabulous. It does eat through batteries though.

k_null81
09-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Saw these at Best Buy tonight for $99...Not any cheaper then TRU though.

oneontheway
09-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Ds has one and it's fabulous. It does eat through batteries though.

How old is DS? I'm wondering if my DS (age 6) is too old? Thanks!

emschwar
09-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Sorry, forgot to say. It's my 4 year old. I think I'd hesitate to get one for a 6 year old (though my 7 year old does play with it some). The skills it teaches are definitely more for the preschool range. Though there are some games you can program spelling lists and such into. But still, I think a 6 year old would be happier with a nintendo ds.

oneontheway
09-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Sorry, forgot to say. It's my 4 year old. I think I'd hesitate to get one for a 6 year old (though my 7 year old does play with it some). The skills it teaches are definitely more for the preschool range. Though there are some games you can program spelling lists and such into. But still, I think a 6 year old would be happier with a nintendo ds.

Thank you for the info! I might skip DS and just get one for DD age 4. Are there educational games for Nitendo DS? I dread having to buy a ton of games all over again. Oh well.

kboyle
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
i have one for ds3 (will be 4.5y at christmas, which is when he'll get it) and i hated buying it because we have an ipad and he's got his own ipod touch, but i feel the learning games on there are so much easier for kids to grasp. he loves the ipad and can play well with it but the learning apps we have just aren't as they are on the leapster explorer. he picks up more things (educational aspect) playing leapster games/watching leapfrog movies vs doing almost the exact same thing on the ipad minus Tad and Friends, lol.

while i hated spending the money on the tablet and games, i know it'll be more beneficial for him as a "learning toy".

there are now learning stuff for the ds, but i havent tried them. for xmas i plan on getting a math game for ds1, the jumpstart Kinder game for ds2 and i *think* there is a JumpStart PreK game too. I'm ALL ABOUT kids learning their academics in school with good ol' paper and pencil, but at home i like to supplement their homework and drill skills with electronic games.

janine
09-19-2011, 09:37 AM
i have one for ds3 (will be 4.5y at christmas, which is when he'll get it) and i hated buying it because we have an ipad and he's got his own ipod touch, but i feel the learning games on there are so much easier for kids to grasp. he loves the ipad and can play well with it but the learning apps we have just aren't as they are on the leapster explorer. he picks up more things (educational aspect) playing leapster games/watching leapfrog movies vs doing almost the exact same thing on the ipad minus Tad and Friends, lol.

while i hated spending the money on the tablet and games, i know it'll be more beneficial for him as a "learning toy".

there are now learning stuff for the ds, but i havent tried them. for xmas i plan on getting a math game for ds1, the jumpstart Kinder game for ds2 and i *think* there is a JumpStart PreK game too. I'm ALL ABOUT kids learning their academics in school with good ol' paper and pencil, but at home i like to supplement their homework and drill skills with electronic games.

What is the advantage of the IPOD touch? I don't have any Apple items so not too familiar, but DD is so into my laptop, I'm trying to come up with something for her that is suitable (she is 3) but not too toy like. She navigates my laptop, selects programs, etc. so the typical toy laptops are not interactive enough for her.

Sorry for the tangent, thx.

emschwar
09-19-2011, 11:04 AM
What is the advantage of the IPOD touch? I don't have any Apple items so not too familiar, but DD is so into my laptop, I'm trying to come up with something for her that is suitable (she is 3) but not too toy like. She navigates my laptop, selects programs, etc. so the typical toy laptops are not interactive enough for her.

Sorry for the tangent, thx.

FWIW, Our 4 year old has his own computer (and has had access to one since he was 18 months old - he shared with his older brother until about a year ago). We took one of our old computers, deleted most of the software and loaded it with kids games. He loves it, and we love not having to share the grown up computers :)

kboyle
09-22-2011, 09:06 AM
we got ds3 an 3rd gen ipod touch for his 3rd bday, it was cheaper (because the 4th gen just came out and it was an apple refurb) than a DS, plus games are much cheaper. I like it because he can watch movies, play games, educational and non-educational. you can download music/tv shows.

but it just doesn't have the leapfrog content/games that seem to help pre-k early readers.

this is definitely not toy-like.

bbbreader
09-23-2011, 10:20 PM
FAO Schwarz (www.fao.com) has $10 off $100 if you sign up for their emails and free shipping. Plus, until tomorrow (24th) you can buy 2, get 3rd free on Leapfrog games. So, you could get the Leap Pad ($99) and 3 games with $10 off the total and 3rd game free. Best deal I've found so far. Plus free shipping.