PDA

View Full Version : blood in dd vomit is this ok?

chozen
09-17-2011, 11:57 PM
UPDATE IN POST #15 dd started to throw up about 2 hrs. ago now she is just throwing up byle and the last time there was what looked like blood in it, is this normal?

infomama
09-17-2011, 11:58 PM
NO! Go to the ER.
ETA-yes it could be a broken blood vessel but I would not diagnose that one myself.

Uno-Mom
09-18-2011, 12:00 AM
I would call for medical advice at a minimum. Do you have an RN advice line?

The questions they'll ask will probably include: how much blood? What color? Is her stomach distended, etc. If the blood is fresh and bright red, it's one thing. But if it's dark or looks like coffee grounds, it's another.

I hope she gets past this quick!

chozen
09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
its not bright red, kindof brownish red.

infomama
09-18-2011, 12:12 AM
I hope you are calling someone or heading to the hospital by now.

crl
09-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Call your ped (if they have a twenty four hour answering service) or go to the ER, now. It may or may not be blood in that color, but I would not risk it.

Catherine

Uno-Mom
09-18-2011, 12:13 AM
its not bright red, kindof brownish red.

I'm trying to remember my medical protocols from work. I think that means it's either coming up from deeper in her tract or it's spent some time in her stomach mixed. There must be a goodly amount, for it to be noticeable in the vomit.

Is there any chance at all that she swallowed some blood earlier, like from a nose bleed?

I would certainly call or go in to get her checked if it's a noticeable amount. Certainly, if she is having any pain or a hard tummy. Not to be too nosey... but has she pooped recently? If it's been a long time since her last BM (like, days and days) I would rush her in to get check - the vomiting might be caused by some kind of obstruction or impaction in her bowel.

Hugs to you guys... it must be awful! I bet you anything she's ok but please get her checked out just in case! Don't rely on anybody's advice here!!!!

cntrymoon2
09-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Absolutely, thats an urgent care or ER visit, IMO. BUT, I would be extra sure she didn't eat anything reddish/brownish that you could be mistaking for blood.

Good luck, OP! So sorry your DD is sick :(

lalasmama
09-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Absolutely, thats an urgent care or ER visit, IMO. BUT, I would be extra sure she didn't eat anything reddish/brownish that you could be mistaking for blood.

Good luck, OP! So sorry your DD is sick :(

:yeahthat: ....like red grapes... :innocent: Not that it's happened to us or anything....

ThreeofUs
09-18-2011, 07:22 AM
How is she this morning?

FWIW, Usually, there's a little bit of blood in vomit when you've thrown up a lot, just from burst capillaries from the strain. But it looks like a light tint or a few strands of red or brown.

wellyes
09-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Hope she is ok! Please update, op. Poor kid.

infomama
09-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Thinking of your liittle one this morning. Hope she is doing better. Let us know!

kep
09-18-2011, 10:43 AM
How is she today? Did you go in last night? Hope all is well!

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Update??? I hope all is well!

Beth

todzwife
09-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Hoping for an update on your little one!

chozen
09-19-2011, 01:25 PM
i did call her pd. and she told me to give her one small ice chip every 15 min. and to try this for 30 min. if i felt it was not getting better to take her into er. well i got her a few ice chips and went to give her one and she continued throwing up so we took her into er within 15 min.. they said that it was from her vomiting so much(every 5-15min.for a total of almost 4 hrs.) they gave her a tablet of zofran and it stopped thank God. then while we were still in the room waiting to be checked out i started throwing up, need less to say we have spent the last day or so in bed or running to the bathroom. THANK YOU all again for your help.:):):)

crl
09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Oh you poor things. I hope everyone is well soon.

Catherine

Melaine
09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh my goodness. I hope the worst is behind you now, I'm so sorry.

ThreeofUs
09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Oh, NO, what a weekend for you all. Hope everyone is on the road to recovery.

Very glad to hear your DD was okay and got some meds to stop the vomiting.

gummibear
09-20-2011, 03:14 AM
I really hope you guys feel better soon. DS started throwing up in the middle of the night last night, plus fever. While I can't say I know exactly how you feel because we didn't end up in the ER, and I haven't picked up whatever he has (knock on wood), I can definitely empathize. As soon as I got him cleaned up, after the first bout, I was online searching for info about whether to call the doc or what.

People today keep telling me some bug is going around. 12 hours of vomiting followed by diarrhea, and then gone. Hopefully that's all it is, for your family and mine. Hope you like chicken soup!

happymomma
09-20-2011, 06:06 AM
I hope you guys are both feeling better.

hillview
09-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Good grief. I am so sorry and hope you are both better really soon!