PDA

View Full Version : Good price for Magnatiles?

lhafer
09-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I plan on getting my girls (5.5yrs and 20 mo at Christmas) magnatiles for Christmas.

What are good prices for these? I like the clear ones better I think. Amazon has a clear 32 piece set for $51 right now. What [roughly] are good prices for these?

And what sized set is good for my age girls? I would probably go with a smaller set at Christmas because they have birthdays in Feb and March, and if they are a hit - I can always add on to the collection.

Minnifer
09-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I was on the lookout for them for a while - discountschoolsuppy has a 20% deal running through 9/19 (code: BESTDEAL) that is the best price I found. Personally, I think you need at least a 100 piece set, if not two sets, to really have fun building - I got one set for DD a couple of months ago and could see right away that two sets would be more useful/fun, so I recently ordered a second. I don't think you *need* to get 2 sets up front but I would really recommend getting at least the 100 piece set - I don't think there's much to be done w/32 pieces, LOL. There's free shipping on the bigger set too (b/c orders above $79 ship free). I got (and like) the clear ones and it seems that's what most people prefer. HTH!

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?category=0&keyword=magna-tiles&scategoryid=0

lhafer
09-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks Minnifer. Is there a different between the 100 piece classroom value pack vs the regular 100 piece? If there is, I can't see it. They are the same price, same number of pieces, same kind of pieces....so why the difference?

ETA: I just tried the BESTDEAL code, and it said it wouldn't work for me.

KrisM
09-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks Minnifer. Is there a different between the 100 piece classroom value pack vs the regular 100 piece? If there is, I can't see it. They are the same price, same number of pieces, same kind of pieces....so why the difference?

Did you type in the code or cut/paste? I just typed it in and it worked fine. I find sometimes cut/paste brings along odd spaces and things that don't work.

I agree about the bigger sets. We also have 2 100-piece sets and have for 4 years. They get a lot of play still and it's nice that all the kids can play and mostly have the pieces they want.

Minnifer
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM

No, no difference between the sets - I recall on the last thread about these someone asked the same question and the verdict was they were the same - I think one is just the more recent packaging, but no substantive difference.

Definitely just try typing the code in, should work. If you go to the main page of the site they have a big banner w/the code at the top, so it's definitely still in effect.

wellyes
09-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I agree about the bigger set. DD has 1 set and I am planning to buy a second. 20% off is a good deal for this particular toy. It doesn't get usually get cheaper, even near the holidays.

lhafer
09-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I tried it again and it worked!! For some reason there was already a code in the little box when I tried before, and it was giving some weird message. Anyway, worked the second time!!

I went ahead and got the 100 piece set (came to $97 after tax, no shipping). I figure we can add on with birthdays a couple of months later!

I'm slowly getting Christmas stuff done for the girls. That way I won't be doing last minute shopping. And we will be out of town for Thanksgiving/Black Friday, so we won't probably shop - but I might do Cyber Monday.

WatchingThemGrow
09-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Yay, glad you got them! I was going to go look back to see what you thought of my magnatiles suggestion. now I know :)

khalloc
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks, I bought them too! Saving them for Christmas!

toby
09-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Magnatiles are one of the best purchases that we made. DS still plays with them a lot and he is almost 7. He makes structures for his Playmobil and Lego people. We both prefer the clear ones.

pastrygirl
09-22-2011, 08:51 PM
The sale was extended until 9/23, and applies to in-stock only. Unfortunately, all the clear Magna-Tiles are OOS.