PDA

View Full Version : Weaned and now we've lost our groove

kristac
09-18-2011, 01:24 PM
DS is 22 months and self weaned over the past 2 months or so. This week he is not interested at all. We used to nurse a bit (usually just a few minutes) and then I would put him in his bed and he would fall asleep. Now he is angry if I try to hold him, angry if I put him in his bed, just mad about me trying to get him to sleep in general. He is much more agreeable to DH but since DH works I still need to figure out naptime etc. Lately DS has been dozing in his high chair nearly every lunch and dinner. But he gets mad at me if I try to take him up to bed. He's just drifting in and out in the highchair so I don't think I could get a quality nap out of him even if I left him there. Any ideas of how to forge a new routine after weaning?

hellokitty
09-18-2011, 04:28 PM
:hug: If it will make you feel any better, my 25 mo old is still nursing, but we are also going through sleep troubles. He is very resistant to sleep (even though he needs it). He fights naps, so he is *maybe* only napping 3-4 days each wk, and he also gets upset at night too. I have to have a talk with him at night before I lay him down. I talk to him about being a good boy and going to bed w/o crying and making a huge fuss. Sometimes he does ok, sometimes not and I have to send DH in there, and of course, when DH goes in there, he can give him a hug and everything is fine, but if I go in there, the dramatics ramp up. So, I don't have any good advice, except to try to get a nap and bedtime routine set up and stick to that and eventually he will get used to it. That is what I have always done with my older boys and it worked, hoping that if I just stick to it, DS3 will figure it out as well.

hoodlims
09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Kids will change sleep habits often, or at least mine does. We have been weaned for about 6 months now, and we have gone through nap training, great naps, great sleep, and now more sleep training. I let her cry it out, because I honestly don't think she needs anything, and is just being difficult. What she needs is sleep! When I weaned her off the boob originally, I would rub her back. Then I stopped doing that and she got mad. Then she was easy. Now she is crying before sleep again, wanting her back rubbed. I am cutting her off of that again too. Seems to be never ending.