PDA

View Full Version : How to deal?

boilermakermom
09-18-2011, 03:45 PM
How do you deal with the days that make you want to scream? Apparently, I am not coping. I think I might crack soon.

You know the days that make you wonder WHY you had kids? And promise yourself to NEVER do it again?

crl
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Chocolate. Wine. TV for the kids. Pizza delivered for dinner. Sometimes all on the same day.

Catherine

maestramommy
09-18-2011, 03:56 PM
TV and popcorn for kids. WINE with dinner. And dessert, with more wine if you wish. :hug5:

hillview
09-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Chocolate. Wine. TV for the kids. Pizza delivered for dinner. Sometimes all on the same day.

Catherine
:yeahthat:

TV and popcorn for kids. WINE with dinner. And dessert, with more wine if you wish. :hug5:

BOTH of the above! And a long hot shower while the kids watch TV. Early bed time.

Melanie
09-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Early dinner and bedtime...chocolate, television or a movie. And I craft during that time, and on a day like that I will often pick needlefelting b/c then I repeatedly get to stab things with sharp needles in a socially-acceptable way. ;) Somehow it is very tension-releasing for me.

Meatball Mommie
09-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Wine, wine, lots of wine ;)

Seriously, when I stayed at home and DH came home to me with a half-drunk bottle of wine and dance music blaring, he knew it was a bad day! De-stressing by dancing with the kids with a good buzz on goes a long way.

I like nice long baths and a good book, but that would be contingent on DH being home to entertain the kids or the kids already being in bed. Didn't always work out that way...

I've also been known to go outside, scream my head off and stomp around, then come back in... Some days are really tough... hang in there :)

SkyrMommy
09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Chocolate and a long hot shower with good music when she's finally to sleep. I'm just grateful those days have been few and far between.

:hug: I hope things calm down for you.

Seitvonzu
09-18-2011, 04:50 PM
reading the other responses make me feel a little bad about this weekend, and then this upcoming week (dh out of town, so i'm anticipating)... yesterday was my birthday -- both lunch and dinner were out (we were at the gardens all day and then came home and picked up cupcakes and irish food). this morning we ate breakfast out. i actually reheated something i cooked (with DHs help, heehee) for lunch but dinner? POPCORN AND COLDSTONE CREAMERY BABY! ;)

and this week? i'm thinking early bedtimes, a few lunches/dinners out, extra t.v., long baths, and a non-optional "walks with mommy" (yes i'm going to strap my 3.75 year old into the stroller and JUST GO!!!!) :)

good luck :) can you get a little time to yourself and pamper? i've been there FOR SURE. we have an only, and there are days when i'm sure it will stay that way (and she is a relatively self-sufficient child, compared to other kids)

kbud
09-18-2011, 04:55 PM
All of the above.

If possible I get us out of the house. Either to a park, the pool, the zoo, mall, playing outside anything big or little that gets us out helps tremendously for me.

kozachka
09-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Taekwondo for DS and I. We both get to kick and scream, and it's not only acceptable, but expected :). And, if DS is not behaving well, he gets disciplined by the coaches. I then leave him for another class and head to Starbucks. That's what I do almost every Saturday and Sunday, because I need to work out and de-stress at least 2 times a week. I also head to my favorite nail salon at the end of Sunday, either with or without DS, depending on whether DH is in town or not. DS loves coming along since he gets to play on the iPhone or iPad, and to sit in a massage chair. If I am lucky and there no other customers around, I also get a nice rub on the shoulders and upper back since I am a regular customer.

If you have gym membership, then do take advantage of free/cheap babysitting at the gym and get some personal time in, preferably working out. If it's not an option, how about taking your DC to the swimming pool or giving him/her a bath? Water tend to relax my DS. Or hitting the trails with DS.

mom2one
09-18-2011, 07:14 PM
How do you deal with the days that make you want to scream? Apparently, I am not coping. I think I might crack soon.

You know the days that make you wonder WHY you had kids? And promise yourself to NEVER do it again?

Just to you know, you are sooooo not alone. I feel the same way. I feel like 5 days at the four seasons just might be what I need.

ThreeofUs
09-18-2011, 07:23 PM
A time out for me! I get out (ETA: with the kids!), too, just get out of the house - anywhere.

lmwbasye
09-18-2011, 08:08 PM
We go for a drive or I send them to their rooms for 5 so I can just have some quiet.

DH is deployed so normally I eat my frustration on days like this but trying not to do that since it's 365 days like that in a row, LOL! Need to lose weight...not gain. :)

TV can work well, too, but we got rid of cable.

What else has been working well for me is just to constantly remind myself that this, too, shall pass and I'll probably feel better tomorrow.

sunnyside
09-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Hugs Mama. I'm right there with you.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-18-2011, 09:58 PM

just wanted to send hugs, and that i am right there with you. today my dh left for a 10-day work trip and in the evening kids were being so fussy i wanted to scream at them, and then i felt worse for feeling like that bc they weren't being "bad" at all, they were just being kids.

hugs :hug:

twowhat?
09-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm having a day like that:( I hate the whole feeling of "did I make the wrong decision to choose to have kids?" Hate it, hate it, hate it.

essnce629
09-19-2011, 01:11 AM
DVD for the kids and then I go into the bathroom, turn on the overhead fan, and pluck my eyebrows or bring the laptop in there! I don't drink, so no alcohol for me!

lalasmama
09-19-2011, 01:40 AM
DVD for the kids and then I go into the bathroom, turn on the overhead fan, and pluck my eyebrows or bring the laptop in there! I don't drink, so no alcohol for me!

Once, when DD was younger, and being an absolute stinker, I went into the bathroom to "take another shower"--ie, turn the water on cold to drown out the whining outside the door, and DD stood next to the door and screamed, "Mom, I know you aren't taking a shower! You don't take three showers a day!" ...Ooops. BUSTED! LOL

When she's really grating on my nerves, I send her to her room for 20 minutes of peace. If it's really really bad, I tell her I'm going to take a nap. I'm glad she's old enough now that I don't have to be there every.single.moment to avert potential crises....

And if you should need to go outside, please remember your keys. :bag Yeah, DD locked me out once when I went out to the front yard to escape one of her famous tantrums. Ever try to explain to a tantruming 3-yo how to unlock the door?? It's not to easy!