PDA

View Full Version : Birth control post-DC?

amldaley
09-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Once you were finished building your family...

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2011, 07:56 PM
IUD! I chose the copper one b/c I didn't want hormones and it lasts longer than Mirena. 10 years of protection.

Beth

wendibird22
09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I voted IUD, condoms, and BCP. I had the Mirena put in back in Sept and removed in June because of side effects. Prior to the IUD insert and between IUD and starting BCP we used condoms. I started loseasonique (3mo continuous bc) a few weeks ago and so far I'm happy with it.

lalasmama
09-18-2011, 08:10 PM
When I am done, I will probably do Essure, assuming it's still available. (It's like a tubal ligation without the surgery; it builds scar tissue in the tubes). I'm also not opposed to Implanon (the rods placed in the arm), but slightly queasy at the idea of the hormones.

However, who knows what they will come up with in the next 10 years, or by the time I can announce that I'm done!

Dr C
09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
All I had to do was make DH stay home with the kids full time and he was RUNNING to the urologist before DD was a year old, LOL. He had to drag a very grumpy kid along to the initial appointment (during her naptime) and they asked if he was sure. Yup, no doubt there!

Tondi G
09-19-2011, 01:26 AM
I voted other because we are not 100% sure we are done at this point although my DH is chomping at the bit to go have a vasectomy. Once we are totally sure our family is complete DH will be at the Urologist scheduling the V. In the mean time I had the Paragard IUD which was removed just over a year later... didn't like it. Since then we have been using condoms.

mjs64
09-19-2011, 01:28 AM
IUD! I chose the copper one b/c I didn't want hormones and it lasts longer than Mirena. 10 years of protection.

Beth

:yeahthat:

Exactly that. Just had mine inserted 6 weeks ago and it's okay so far. Increased cramping and spotting, but my periods were pretty easy to begin with, and nothing compares to the pain of childbirth (this is my new mantra!). I love not having to fill the prescription or deal with the hormones. I'm not sure we're done having DC but we're definitely done for right now, so this is a great option for me since I can have it removed when and if I want to TTC.

ETA: But maybe I am screwing up the poll results, as you are pretty clear about what BC to use after a "complete" family. DH and I have discussed a vasectomy in the future. We may be done after one DC. We are exhausted, as DS is still up every 3 hours! But ask us again in a few years. This is why the IUD is a good permanent-for-now solution.

larig
09-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Beth

:yeahthat:

pastrygirl
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
You forgot NFP. ;) I use two methods -- Creighton and Marquette.

artvandalay
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Our family is complete! Been using condoms until H gets around to making the vasectomy appointment. Maybe I should just make the call for him.

Multimama
09-19-2011, 01:21 PM

I assume that is meant to be included under "rhythm method or other counting/tracking" but I would never want to check a box with the word rhythm method in it when discussing my birth control!

(I didn't vote since we are not done so I really don't know, but I was interested in what other people are doing/did.)

scrooks
09-19-2011, 02:59 PM
At this point we aren't done so I didnt vote. I think if we have a third I will have a tubal Ligation during c-section.

Gena
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

:yeahthat: We use the Sympto-Thermal Method.

I assume that is meant to be included under "rhythm method or other counting/tracking" but I would never want to check a box with the word rhythm method in it when discussing my birth control!

:yeahthat: The "rhythm method" doesn't really belong in the same category as modern methods of NFP, so I voted "Other".

g-mama
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Mirena - because I DO want the hormones. I have naturally very, very heavy and long periods and on the Mirena, my periods are practically non-existent and I don't have to remember to buy and take BCPs.

lizzywednesday
09-19-2011, 04:18 PM
:yeahthat: The "rhythm method" doesn't really belong in the same category as modern methods of NFP...

As I've learned more about NFP, this is so true!

We're not done, so I can't answer with finality, but right now a mix of NFP and barrier (condoms) is good for us. (Though we rarely have time to DTD these days ... DD is a busy-bee!!)