PDA

View Full Version : Sinus infection

mackmama
09-18-2011, 10:58 PM
I think I am getting a sinus infection. My doc has advised me in the past not to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary (ie: an emergency) due to past allergic reactions. What are the best home remedies for a sinus infection? Anything I can do to prevent it from getting bad?

DietCokeLover
09-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Sudafed and a Neti pot.

Although, now, The real sudafed requires a prescription (at least in my state). You can get the PE kind still without a Rx.

RedSuedeShoes
09-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Out of desperation a couple years ago, I googled "natural remedies for sinus infection" or something like that. Found someone saying their MD had told them to add 2-3 drops of Betadine to their regular neti pot solution to treat a sinus infection. According to this MD, it will cure 80% of sinus infections (the other 20% are in a spot that neti pot won't reach). It has worked like a charm for me and my husband for the last two winters. You might have to do it a couple times a day at first (I've done it 3-4 times a day sometimes).

Smillow
09-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Mucinex tablets, lots of water and ibuprofen or aleve. That plus a neti pot has kept me sinus infection free for years!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-19-2011, 12:07 AM
i have the squeeze bottle version of Netipot (by NeilMeds). i use that even when i'm not sick and the pollen level is high. sometimes 2x a day. i think it really really helps.

tylersmama
09-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Neti pot, neti pot, neti pot. I absolutely CANNOT get sick during clinical rotations and my neti pot has saved my bacon on more than one occasion in the past year. At the first twinge of sinus pain and congestion, I start rinsing, and I haven't had one progress to needing antibiotics yet.

Tondi G
09-19-2011, 01:09 AM
I would go with the Netipot, sudafed, advil. I also like using Alkalol as a sinus rinse. elderberry is a good overall immune boosting supplement you can take. Garlic is also good.

solsister
09-19-2011, 01:23 AM
I've been battling once since Wed. It's almost gone!:jammin:

I use these two things:
3xs a day
grapefruit seed extract nasal spray http://www.herbalremedies.com/nasspray1ozg.html?utm_source=frg&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=product&zmam=1000941&zmas=32&zmac=188&zmap=195259

3xs a day
wellness formula liquid
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=Source+Naturals+Wellness+Herbal+Resistanceā„¢+Li quid&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12365471686197149933&sa=X&ei=SdF2TuKpNebhiAL4rKi0Ag&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAQ#ps-sellers

I get them both really cheap at Vitacost, but grab them from the health food store or Whole Foods, in a pinch.

I also add, lots of vitamin c, garlic and calcium, mag, vit. d.

I used to get 3-4 sinus infections a year. Acupuncture stopped them in their tracks, about 6 years ago, and now I use this protocol and haven't had to take antibiotics. Good luck!

HIU8
09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I live on neti pot (although I use the spray bottle and not the pot) and nasonex year round due to sinus infections. It's cut it down to one every 8-10 months or so (rather than one every 2 months). I do the sinus rinse and the nasonex 2x a day.

ThreeofUs
09-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Another vote for neti pot. We've been verging on sinus infections for the past week, but DH and I have been neti potting a couple to a few times a day. Clears us out, saves our sanity, and we haven't had a sinus infection since we've started using this method - 3 years or so?

For myself, I up the salt a tiny bit and use very warm water when I feel my sinuses start. Have to say, though, if I really felt like I was actually *in* a sinus infection, I'd try the betadine treatment.