PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in coastal Mid Atlantic or coastal South East...care to share??

SASM
09-19-2011, 07:44 AM
We are looking to relocate in 2 years. Luckily, we can pretty much relocate anywhere. However, we are having issues. This are hoping this will be our last move until the kids are out of school. We do have a long wish list but open to wiggle room: on the coast, more than 2 health facilities within a reasonable daily drive (hospital, same day surgical center, etc), good schools close by (scary one). I would also like a selection of doctors, good shopping (Costco, Trader Joes, etc) within reasonable drive, beautiful inspirationak surroundings with lots of outdoor opportunities, and a nursing program nearby. We are looking into the OBX, Hampton Roads (sounds great but trying to stay away from heavy-military-population areas...need stability of friends), Charleston, Wilmington NC...any others?? Any input on any of the above? We just want to be by water with mild-not-hot temps...not easy trying to find a metro area. My only suggestion for DH is Research Triangle move with longterm goal of vacation home on OBX...DH not sold. And we thought this would be easy... :( TIA, I hope... Feel free to PM me... :)

lfp2n
09-19-2011, 08:41 AM
charlottesville, va- if you have wiggle room on the coast :)

brittone2
09-19-2011, 08:43 AM
The Triangle has everything you want minus the beach, so I think that's a good place to consider. I really miss it there :(

If it is any consolation, the drive to the beach can be fairly quick-2-3 hours depending on where you are in the triangle and where you would vacation. It is a straight shot. Where I live now it is only 2 hours to the beach but the drive is much more annoying. The drive we had to the beach was 3 hours but a straight shot and pretty easy driving in comparison.

I've never been to Charlottesville but it is one of those places I already think I'd love to retire to one day ;) DH and I want to take a 3 or 4 day trip there some day.

eta: Triangle does get hot, but it didn't bother me that much. You still get 4 seasons, but in winter time you get 2 cold days and then a really nice day, so it feels much less depressing IMO.

SnuggleBuggles
09-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Define "reasonable driving distance". And does it have to ocean or can it be bay or other body of water?

Beth

jse107
09-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Annapolis, MD

SnuggleBuggles
09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Annapolis, MD

That's where I was thinking. :) I originally thought of DE (like Lewes) because when my brother lived there they'd drive into Annapolis for Whole Foods and such but it was like 1.5 hours. Then I thought why not just Annapolis? Beautiful and convenient to so much!

Beth

DietCokeLover
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
If you want "mild not hot temps", you better stay far far away from Charleston.

crl
09-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Does it have to be East Coast?

Catherine

marymoo86
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM
OBX - will have little in the way of shopping and convenience and you will have to deal with hurricanes

Wilmington - great little "big" town has Costco and decent shopping. A Fresh Market similar to Whole Foods but not quite as organic. No TJs or WF on the coast. Will have hot temps but nothing outrageous. University located there. A lot of areas around the town to look for housing as beaches are along Highway 17 all the way to Myrtle so you can look at Brunswick county as well as New Hanover where Wilmington is. Probably the best COL out of the list you provided.

ThreeofUs
09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Annapolis, MD

My home town. I love this place, and every time DH and I go back, we wonder why the heck we don't live there. (And the answer is that DH needs a large research university that will make significant investment in his lab, and has amazing grad students to staff his lab. And he wants it within 15 minutes driving time. This takes time and recruitment, lol.)

Great place, great people, good doctors and schools. Fantastic care 1/2 hour away, and a good beach just for playing down at Sandy Point. *sigh* I miss it SO much.

nc_hope
09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Wilmington - great little "big" town has Costco and decent shopping. A Fresh Market similar to Whole Foods but not quite as organic. No TJs or WF on the coast.

FYI - Wilmington will have a Whole Foods next year!

http://www.wect.com/story/14407531/whole-foods-plans-to-open-store-in-wilmington-in-2012

I don't live there, I'm about 2 hours away, but we have friends there and visit often. It's a nice town.

Clarity
09-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Annapolis, MD
:yeahthat: I love Annapolis!

Melaine
09-19-2011, 11:20 AM

:yeahthat: Charleston is beautiful and I love it (and they just got their first Trader Joe's!) but it is very hot. I think North Carolina would be a better choice for your criteria.

dddhokie
09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I live in the OBX year round and have since graduate school. Part-time before then for years. Grew up in VA and I absolutely love it here. There are definitely conveniences that I miss (TJs, Cosco) but they are within a 1.5 hour drive. Definitely worth it for the quality of life. Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

We would never move from here, but 2nd choice would be Wilmington. DH went to college and mba school there and we both love it. Bigger town, more shopping and culture but still not our OBX. :)

amldaley
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
We are looking to relocate in 2 years. Luckily, we can pretty much relocate anywhere. However, we are having issues. This are hoping this will be our last move until the kids are out of school. We do have a long wish list but open to wiggle room: on the coast, more than 2 health facilities within a reasonable daily drive (hospital, same day surgical center, etc), good schools close by (scary one). I would also like a selection of doctors, good shopping (Costco, Trader Joes, etc) within reasonable drive, beautiful inspirationak surroundings with lots of outdoor opportunities, and a nursing program nearby. We are looking into the OBX, Hampton Roads (sounds great but trying to stay away from heavy-military-population areas...need stability of friends), Charleston, Wilmington NC...any others?? Any input on any of the above? We just want to be by water with mild-not-hot temps...not easy trying to find a metro area. My only suggestion for DH is Research Triangle move with longterm goal of vacation home on OBX...DH not sold. And we thought this would be easy... :( TIA, I hope... Feel free to PM me... :)

We have lived in Baltimore (Anne Arundel Cnty), Alexandria, VA, and now live just 30 miles north of Wilmington, NC. DH is from Boston.

I definitely think you will have to start as far south as Virgina Beach/Hampton Roads. Maybe Marylands Eastern Shore?

We just want to be by water with mild-not-hot temps.

You will not get mild temperatures along the eastern seaboard anywhere south of Maryland or Northern VA, IMO. IT IS HOT HERE. We start warming up in May and it stays hot in to October. I live less than 1 mile from the beach via the intra-coastal, so we catch the breeze and our temps are a couple of degrees cooler than inland, but it gets in to the 90's throughout the summer and in to the 100's at least a few days (or, like this year, half the season!)

More than 2 health facilities within a reasonable daily drive (hospital, same day surgical center, etc)

This rules out OBX. You can not depend on ferry systems and washed out roads if this is a critical selling point for you. OBX sees at least one evacuation per year.

Good schools close by

Subjective. But in general, I am not keen on NC schools. Though they are better than some, we are facing some serious issues in our public school funding here.

I would also like a selection of doctors

NC IS good for this...Between Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill, we have some of the best Doctors in the country here. There are also alot of Dr's from the northeast who relocate here.

Good shopping (Costco, Trader Joes, etc) within reasonable drive

Good luck. Wilmington does not have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes (though we DO have a Costco!) We hope to have a WF here next year (read as: three years) and TJ's sent a team to scout locations but have not committed yet. We do have two co-ops though with crazy expensive prices. I drive 2 hours each way to Raleigh about every 6 weeks to go shopping.

Beautiful inspirational surroundings with lots of outdoor opportunities

Well, I think that is just about anywhere on the coast. And outdoor opportunities are what you make them. Kayaking is HUGE here as is kite surfing, boogie boarding etc. Boating is big. Fishing. We have alot of intramural leagues for sports. Wilmington has a large soccor league.

and a nursing program nearby

UNC-Wilmington has a well respected nursing program and they offer satellite locations at some of our local Community Colleges.

We are looking into the OBX, Hampton Roads (sounds great but trying to stay away from heavy-military-population areas...need stability of friends), Charleston, Wilmington NC...any others??

I personally resent the insinuation that the military population is unstable. I am perfectly stable. Just ask my therapist. (Waait...that's not what you meant, is it?)

A military population also brings a somewhat more stable economy as we are recession-resistant and it brings people from all over the country - lots of diversity. Many of the locals here are wonderful. Many, however, fly Confederate flags and are illiterate. It's just all part of the mix. We also have a significant population of people who have relocated from the northeast. And lots of retirees.

Research Triangle move with longterm goal of vacation home on OBX...DH not sold.

What about your plan is DH not sold on? (Also, the Triangle is a couple of hours from the beach....)

Other places we liked when we have been researching for DH's military retirement in a couple of years but ruled out for reasons outside of what your criteria are....

Chapel Hill, NC (we love CH.)
Savannah, GA
northern SC, between Wilmington & Myrtle Beach

ETA: I have seen how many people suggested Annapolis. For some reason, I was under the impression you were trying to get further south and closer to the beach. If I misunderstood, then, yes...Annapolis is wonderful. When we lived in Alexandria, we used to go up to Annapolis frequently enough that when we moved to Maryland, we chose to live just outside of Annapolis. It is a great place with many of the features you are seeking. It is, however, expensive and built up as compared to some of the other areas on your list.

kdeunc
09-19-2011, 04:20 PM
As far as hospitals...

As long as you aren't on Hatteras Island or Ocracoke you should be fine for health centers. There is a hospital in Nags Head (affiliated with University Health Systems out of Greenville) and major medical centers in Norfolk and Greenville NC. East Carolina University in Greenville also has a good nursing program which I think can be done all/mostly on-line now including some advance practice nursing options.

Now the heat is another story! It can and does get hotter than hades in eastern NC, even the Outer Banks. :)

amldaley
09-19-2011, 08:04 PM
As far as hospitals...

As long as you aren't on Hatteras Island or Ocracoke you should be fine for health centers. There is a hospital in Nags Head (affiliated with University Health Systems out of Greenville) and major medical centers in Norfolk and Greenville NC. East Carolina University in Greenville also has a good nursing program which I think can be done all/mostly on-line now including some advance practice nursing options.

Now the heat is another story! It can and does get hotter than hades in eastern NC, even the Outer Banks. :)

But Greenville and Norfolk aren't with a daily commuting distance really...

Cam&Clay
09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
DH and I were born and raised in Norfolk, as were our parents, and their parents before them. Not all people in Tidewater have connections to the military. I had very few friends that were military growing up. We lived on the other side of town. Plenty of stability.

DH and I have talked about retiring down there, but probably not in Norfolk. We are looking at OBX or maybe even Williamsburg, one of our favorite places on the planet.

Norfolk has a lot of what you want, except for the schools, and I say this as a Norfolk Public Schools graduate. They have gone downhill in the last 20 years. You might want to look into Chesapeake. DH's stepbrother's family lives there and the schools are great. Same with my closest friend from high school.

EVMS is a good choice for nursing and you can't beat the hospitals in the area.

octmom
09-19-2011, 10:18 PM

:yeahthat: :wavey:

SASM
09-19-2011, 10:30 PM
OMG...thank you!!!! I am actually passing out from my crazy day but checked the thread, and shocked by the response, passed the iPod to DH. I heard a lot of ooh's, ahh's, and ha's from his direction...must be insightful. ;) Thank you!!!! Soooo looking forward to reading and commenting tomorrow!! Thank you, I hope!!!

kdeunc
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
But Greenville and Norfolk aren't with a daily commuting distance really...

True, I missed the daily part. I was thinking for healthcare not work :) Depending what part of OBX you were in you could have a few hospitals within an hour or so. Probably not great/easy commutes though.

amldaley
09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
True, I missed the daily part. I was thinking for healthcare not work :) Depending what part of OBX you were in you could have a few hospitals within an hour or so. Probably not great/easy commutes though.

I went back and edited my post a couple of times as I kept missing stuff...hence my crazy broken quoting. I just did not want OP to get excited thinking those were accessible daily.

OP, have you checked out http://www.city-data.com/ ?

To get in to the forums, you have to click the little blue badge at the top.

ThreeofUs
09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
ETA: I have seen how many people suggested Annapolis. For some reason, I was under the impression you were trying to get further south and closer to the beach. If I misunderstood, then, yes...Annapolis is wonderful. When we lived in Alexandria, we used to go up to Annapolis frequently enough that when we moved to Maryland, we chose to live just outside of Annapolis. It is a great place with many of the features you are seeking. It is, however, expensive and built up as compared to some of the other areas on your list.

You know, I thought Annapolis was expensive, too. But I think it may have been hit enough by the housing bust to be affordable. I just went on the realtor.com site for Annapolis. If you're good with something that's not a mansion, you can easily get a very nice house for around $400K. If you can deal with a fixer-upper, there are some houses in wonderful neighborhoods (right on Spa Creek, for example) for under $300K.

It is very busy, though, as A-M said and the traffic can be horrific. I used to commute into DC to work, and at prime times it compares to Chicago or LA.

Momit
09-20-2011, 09:56 AM
I would absolutely recommend Charleston, except for what you said about heat. It does get hot and humid there in the summer but is lovely the rest of the year. We were there over July 4 weekend and it wasn't so bad because there was a nice ocean breeze. They have the shopping you mentioned (TJs, Costco etc.), a large hospital, tons of culture/history and lots to do. Great choices for organic/local produce. Plus you can get to the mountains in a few hours if you need to escape the heat. Our friends who live there LOVE it.

Tampa, FL? Also hot and humid but a nice medium sized city with lots of amenities.

I think most of the Southeast has hot, humid summers.

karstmama
09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
i'll plump in for washington nc. 1 1/2 hours to morehead, 2-3 to the obx, 30 min to greenville and reasonable shopping, 1 1/2 to raleigh and good shopping, on the water, and 3-400 k would buy a mansion.

disclaimer - i live 20 min from washington, so of course i'm biased!

tribe pride
09-20-2011, 12:54 PM
If I had my choice of places to move in the mid-Atlantic/Southeast, I'd pick Williamsburg in a heartbeat. Went to college there and have many friends in the area, and it's just a lovely place. Charming, very good schools, fairly affordable (prices vary greatly depending on where in town you live), great amenities due to so many tourists and many retirees (outlet mall, Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, restaurants. If you live close to CW, it's very walkable to library, post office, grocery, etc. Hospital in town, with much bigger ones 45 min- 1 hr away in Norfolk and Richmond. Costco and TJ are about 15-20 min away in Newport News. VA Beach is 1 hr, DC is 2.5 hours, mountains are 2 hrs. Summers are hot, but the humidity isn't as bad and the heat doesn't last as long as other places in the SE, like Charleston or Savannah. Really, it's a wonderful town to live. Probably not as "progressive" as Charlottesville, which others have recommended (W&M is a smaller school, and there are many more tourists than C'Ville), but a great place to live nonetheless.

I also lived in Virginia Beach for a few years, and while it meets many of your requirements (schools, close to the water, medical facilities), I just didn't like it very much. After the quaintness of Williamsburg, VB seemed very blah- suburban, strip malls everywhere. The military presence wasn't a bad thing, except for the RIDICULOUSLY loud planes flying overhead all day and night. But I just didn't care for the VB culture, and wouldn't want to raise my kids there. Other parts of Hampton Roads (Norfolk or Chesapeake, maybe, might work for you, though! JMO!

dddhokie
09-20-2011, 03:11 PM

I know a lot of people here on the OBX that do commute to the healthcare systems and hospitals on a daily basis. True, it is a bit of a drive, but it is a straight shot. I can get from my house to Chilrdren's Hosptial for the King's Daugthers in Norfolk in 1.5 hours flat. While that may be a bit length, it compares to some of my friend's commutes in Northern Virginia but they are just sitting in traffic. :) I volunteered at the hospital and traveled weekly there.

Again, unless you are on Hatteras Island or Ocracoke, getting to a medical facility for treatment isn't an issue. We have the Outer Banks Hospital in Nags Head that is great, as well as Regional Medical Center in Kitty Hawk that does same day surgery. Elizabeth City has Albemarle Hospital which is 1 hour away, and Norfolk and Virginia Beach both have good facilities as well that aren't more than a 2 hour drive. I also have friends down here who received oncology treatments at Duke on a weekly basis, which is about a 3 hour drive, give or take.

just my 2 cents. :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Thank you!! That is definitely a "wiggle", right? Isn't this in the middle of the state near the mountains and Monticello?? I THINK some friends used to live in that area...loved it! Nowhere near the coast, though, right? :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
The Triangle has everything you want minus the beach, so I think that's a good place to consider. I really miss it there :(

If it is any consolation, the drive to the beach can be fairly quick-2-3 hours depending on where you are in the triangle and where you would vacation. It is a straight shot. Where I live now it is only 2 hours to the beach but the drive is much more annoying. The drive we had to the beach was 3 hours but a straight shot and pretty easy driving in comparison.

I've never been to Charlottesville but it is one of those places I already think I'd love to retire to one day ;) DH and I want to take a 3 or 4 day trip there some day.

eta: Triangle does get hot, but it didn't bother me that much. You still get 4 seasons, but in winter time you get 2 cold days and then a really nice day, so it feels much less depressing IMO.

Thank you! We really like the Triangle. Almost moved there instead of the DC area several years ago. Went back again recently for a quick detour, as we waited for Irene to clear from the OBX, and we still liked it...just not close enough to the ocean. DH REALLY wants to be close to the ocean. I LOVE how much it has grown/morphed (and its many opportunities) but not quite crazy-metro-ish yet. UGH!

WatchingThemGrow
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Does he want to be close to the ocean for daily activities or for weekend playtime? DH's family has had a house at the coast for 40 years and spent gobs of time out there while he was growing up. The drive from the Triangle is just enough time to put you in the right state of mind.

There are I know where you can buy a lake-front house between 2 major medical centers within walking distance of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and in one of the best school systems in the state. Costco is 20ish min. away, but is rumored to be moving closer. Elem and middle schools are within walking distance too. HS is not far either.

MelissaTC
09-21-2011, 09:03 PM
You just need to move to Cary and be my neighbor. That is all there is to it. ;)

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Define "reasonable driving distance". And does it have to ocean or can it be bay or other body of water?

Beth
"Reasonable driving distance" for shopping...2 hours-ish, for doctors/specialists...1 hour-ish; for hospital/same-day surg center/etc...30-40 min max.

Bay as minimum. Ocean would be GREAT! DH just stated an hour to the ocean would be fine with reasonable drive (2-3 hours) to mountains. WHERE did THIS come from??? As far as I am aware, this is NOT on the ECoast...maybe NE but not Mid Atlantic! :) Anyway, for example, Annapolis would be fantastic the commute is too long...been there and done that in the DC area. LOVE the area but the COL and commuting is crazy...especially for one who is most likely going to be on-call.

amldaley
09-21-2011, 09:08 PM
DH just stated an hour to the ocean would be fine with reasonable drive (2-3 hours) to mountains. WHERE did THIS come from??? As far as I am aware, this is NOT on the ECoast...maybe NE but not Mid Atlantic! :)

Perhaps you need to consider the Pacific Northwest??????

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:11 PM
That's where I was thinking. :) I originally thought of DE (like Lewes) because when my brother lived there they'd drive into Annapolis for Whole Foods and such but it was like 1.5 hours. Then I thought why not just Annapolis? Beautiful and convenient to so much!

Beth

Ohhh...didn't think of Lewes. Hospitals/SD Surg centers?? I think my friend was thinking of relocating there recently. COL is quite high, correct? Annapolis is gorgoreous...one of our fave places when we lived in NoVa. LOVED Cantler's!! Just issues with COL and commute to hospitals, etc.

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:16 PM

I know. Actually when I addressed this issue to DH he just shrugged and said it's expected. Heat is supposedly up for "wiggle" room. WE do not know very much about Charleston, though, other than touching on internet research. The last time we were there DH was sick...not up for walking tour of historic downtown sites. Any BTDT details? Thank you! :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Does it have to be East Coast?

Catherine

That is our preference bc all of our family and the majority of friends are on the EC. We do, however, has some friends who are lobbying for coastal Oregon. :) Sounds VERY intriguing...ocean, metro, and skiing all within an 1.5 hours...sounds crazy! Consider that plus high quality coffee and uber-"green"ness and I would be a happy camper!! Just cannot get past having a continent betw all of our loved ones. That wold make for $$$ vacations and not a lot of visitors. :( We shall see... See...the drama...

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Wilmington - great little "big" town has Costco and decent shopping. A Fresh Market similar to Whole Foods but not quite as organic. No TJs or WF on the coast. Will have hot temps but nothing outrageous. University located there. A lot of areas around the town to look for housing as beaches are along Highway 17 all the way to Myrtle so you can look at Brunswick county as well as New Hanover where Wilmington is. Probably the best COL out of the list you provided.

Thank you!! We have one friend who lives in Wilmington but she is VERY difficult to contact. I would love more details if you could share. Feel free to PM me. :) This area seems very appealing. I REALLY like the idea of a smallish city, similiar to what we have now, where I do not have to drive an hour to children's activities...I am all over the place as it is. Hurricanes are just a way of life in the area that we are considering...it is not really a deterrent.

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
FYI - Wilmington will have a Whole Foods next year!

YAY!! Now for a Trader Joe's!! :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:31 PM
:yeahthat: Charleston is beautiful and I love it (and they just got their first Trader Joe's!) but it is very hot. I think North Carolina would be a better choice for your criteria.

Are you familiar with the area? Would love more IRL info!! Supposedly heat is not an issue for DH now. ;) Happy Dancing for TJ's!! Thank you!

SASM
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
I live in the OBX year round and have since graduate school. Part-time before then for years. Grew up in VA and I absolutely love it here. There are definitely conveniences that I miss (TJs, Cosco) but they are within a 1.5 hour drive. Definitely worth it for the quality of life. Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

We would never move from here, but 2nd choice would be Wilmington. DH went to college and mba school there and we both love it. Bigger town, more shopping and culture but still not our OBX. :)
THANK YOU for the info!!! I will definitely PM you. If I do not (I've been trying to read this thread for the last 2 nights and have been passing out before I even find the thread!), please PM me!! Would LOVE more info!! :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Good luck. Wilmington does not have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes (though we DO have a Costco!) We hope to have a WF here next year (read as: three years) and TJ's sent a team to scout locations but have not committed yet. We do have two co-ops though with crazy expensive prices. I drive 2 hours each way to Raleigh about every 6 weeks to go shopping.
OMG...THANK YOU for the post!!! VERY GOOD TO KNOW about WF and TJ's!! YA re: Costco!! I soooo miss Costco!! DH laughed re: "3 years"...soooo true!

I personally resent the insinuation that the military population is unstable. I am perfectly stable. Just ask my therapist. (Waait...that's not what you meant, is it?)

A military population also brings a somewhat more stable economy as we are recession-resistant and it brings people from all over the country - lots of diversity. Many of the locals here are wonderful. Many, however, fly Confederate flags and are illiterate. It's just all part of the mix. We also have a significant population of people who have relocated from the northeast. And lots of retirees.

HA!! :) Too funny! I currently live in a heavy-military area. I agree that this area is completely dependent on military presence for its economic health...jobs, shops, activities, growth in general, etc. My ONLY issue with being in such a transient area is that this summer alone I said goodbye to 7 VERY close friends/families, as in a fair amount of them were my childrens' emergency contacts. :( The previous summer, I said goodbye to 3 very close friends. I dread the thought of who will leave next year....so far I know of 2 close friends/families. It is OBVIOUSLY a GREAT opportunity to teach our children about military/patriotism, family dynamics, AND to show my kids "where in the world" their friends are located (unfortunately, it is very difficult to explain that they will most likely not see their close friends again, though). It is not uncommon for their classrooms to turnover half of the students. That is just sooo unlike my childhood. Anyway...fantastic opportunities here but I would just like more stability. I hope that I do not sound shallow. I LOVE this opportunity...its time to leave after 5 years though.

OMG...I hope that I am making sense...I am starting to fade...long day but I sooooo want to read more. It has taken me 2 days to get back to this thread...ugh!! THANK YOU!!!!!! Anyway...would love more info on Wilmington if you care to share. Feel free to PM me. :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I went back and edited my post a couple of times as I kept missing stuff...hence my crazy broken quoting. I just did not want OP to get excited thinking those were accessible daily.

OP, have you checked out http://www.city-data.com/ ?

To get in to the forums, you have to click the little blue badge at the top.

Thank you! Completely forgot about this site! I will have to check this out as well as findmyspot.com.

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:16 PM
You know, I thought Annapolis was expensive, too. But I think it may have been hit enough by the housing bust to be affordable. I just went on the realtor.com site for Annapolis. If you're good with something that's not a mansion, you can easily get a very nice house for around $400K. If you can deal with a fixer-upper, there are some houses in wonderful neighborhoods (right on Spa Creek, for example) for under $300K.

It is very busy, though, as A-M said and the traffic can be horrific. I used to commute into DC to work, and at prime times it compares to Chicago or LA.
REALLY?? Those quotes are crazy reasonable for DC area?? REALLY?? Still has an incredibly scary commute though. Not really sure that DH is up for that commute again...BTDT. LOVE LOVE LOVE Annapolis, though! I have a friend who is relocating to that area in 2 weeks. :( :)

jenfromnj
09-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Not sure if you'd be willing to consider coming this far north, but since you mentioned mid-Atlantic, I'll throw it out there--have you considered NJ? Maybe Monmouth County-ish? There are lots of towns on or near the ocean, many with good schools. Lots of good doctors and several well-regarded hospitals nearby, plus the tippy top NYC hospitals within an hour or so. Close to both NYC and Philadelphia for tons of culture and big city fun stuff. Plenty of activities for kids/families, and a bunch of universities with nursing programs. Plus, tons of stores--Costco, TJs, WF, numerous malls, and pretty much anything else you can think of, within a reasonable driving distance.
Beach right nearby, mountains for skiing (some skiing within an hour or so, "real" skiing maybe 3-4 hours away), lots of nice parks, etc. Just my 2 cents, since I never pass up a chance to talk up NJ :)!

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:22 PM
I would absolutely recommend Charleston, except for what you said about heat. It does get hot and humid there in the summer but is lovely the rest of the year. We were there over July 4 weekend and it wasn't so bad because there was a nice ocean breeze. They have the shopping you mentioned (TJs, Costco etc.), a large hospital, tons of culture/history and lots to do. Great choices for organic/local produce. Plus you can get to the mountains in a few hours if you need to escape the heat. Our friends who live there LOVE it.

Tampa, FL? Also hot and humid but a nice medium sized city with lots of amenities.

I think most of the Southeast has hot, humid summers.

Thank you! Would LOVE more info re: Charleston if you'd like to PM me. :) I don't know about Tampa...FL schools kind of have me worried. YEARS ago they were quite scary and its burned into my memory...hopefully they've changed. Will add it to the research list... Thank you!!

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:24 PM
i'll plump in for washington nc. 1 1/2 hours to morehead, 2-3 to the obx, 30 min to greenville and reasonable shopping, 1 1/2 to raleigh and good shopping, on the water, and 3-400 k would buy a mansion.

disclaimer - i live 20 min from washington, so of course i'm biased!

REALLY? I have NO IDEA where that is! Adding it to the research list...thank you!!! :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
If I had my choice of places to move in the mid-Atlantic/Southeast, I'd pick Williamsburg in a heartbeat. Went to college there and have many friends in the area, and it's just a lovely place. Charming, very good schools, fairly affordable (prices vary greatly depending on where in town you live), great amenities due to so many tourists and many retirees (outlet mall, Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, restaurants. If you live close to CW, it's very walkable to library, post office, grocery, etc. Hospital in town, with much bigger ones 45 min- 1 hr away in Norfolk and Richmond. Costco and TJ are about 15-20 min away in Newport News. VA Beach is 1 hr, DC is 2.5 hours, mountains are 2 hrs. Summers are hot, but the humidity isn't as bad and the heat doesn't last as long as other places in the SE, like Charleston or Savannah. Really, it's a wonderful town to live. Probably not as "progressive" as Charlottesville, which others have recommended (W&M is a smaller school, and there are many more tourists than C'Ville), but a great place to live nonetheless.

I also lived in Virginia Beach for a few years, and while it meets many of your requirements (schools, close to the water, medical facilities), I just didn't like it very much. After the quaintness of Williamsburg, VB seemed very blah- suburban, strip malls everywhere. The military presence wasn't a bad thing, except for the RIDICULOUSLY loud planes flying overhead all day and night. But I just didn't care for the VB culture, and wouldn't want to raise my kids there. Other parts of Hampton Roads (Norfolk or Chesapeake, maybe, might work for you, though! JMO!

THANK YOU!!! Spent some time in Williamsburg on the way home from OBX...Hanna Andersson Outlet and Trader Joe's...perfect afternoon!! :) I will have to look into it...sounds great...slipped under my radar! Thank you also for reminding me about Chesapeake...one of my recently-relocated friends just permanently moved there. :) Would love more info if you care to PM me. :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I know a lot of people here on the OBX that do commute to the healthcare systems and hospitals on a daily basis. True, it is a bit of a drive, but it is a straight shot. I can get from my house to Chilrdren's Hosptial for the King's Daugthers in Norfolk in 1.5 hours flat. While that may be a bit length, it compares to some of my friend's commutes in Northern Virginia but they are just sitting in traffic. :) I volunteered at the hospital and traveled weekly there.

Again, unless you are on Hatteras Island or Ocracoke, getting to a medical facility for treatment isn't an issue. We have the Outer Banks Hospital in Nags Head that is great, as well as Regional Medical Center in Kitty Hawk that does same day surgery. Elizabeth City has Albemarle Hospital which is 1 hour away, and Norfolk and Virginia Beach both have good facilities as well that aren't more than a 2 hour drive. I also have friends down here who received oncology treatments at Duke on a weekly basis, which is about a 3 hour drive, give or take.

just my 2 cents. :)

THANK YOU!! VERY good to know!!! :)

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Does he want to be close to the ocean for daily activities or for weekend playtime? DH's family has had a house at the coast for 40 years and spent gobs of time out there while he was growing up. The drive from the Triangle is just enough time to put you in the right state of mind.

There are I know where you can buy a lake-front house between 2 major medical centers within walking distance of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and in one of the best school systems in the state. Costco is 20ish min. away, but is rumored to be moving closer. Elem and middle schools are within walking distance too. HS is not far either.

Wow...I really like that area! :) DH is a barefoot runner and loves to hike. I think that the idea of daily "ocean-ness" is just incredibly appealing. That being said, he did just say a little while ago that he wouldn't mind an hour-drive to the beach...kind of getting closer to Triangle. ;)

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:39 PM
You just need to move to Cary and be my neighbor. That is all there is to it. ;)
Ha!! I KNOW!!! We were seriously scoping out your neighborhood...it's our favorite part of Cary. We were even playing at the Y, drooling over that dreamy outdoor lap pool! Then, we saw the slide peaking through the trees...thankfully the kids didn't see THAT pool! :) Hmmm...ya never know!

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Perhaps you need to consider the Pacific Northwest??????
I know!!! We have friends who just relocated to the OR coast...they are spamming us with email and snail. :) Sounds like a dream...ocean, metro, and skiing all within 1.5 hours...just wayyyyy too far from 99% of our friends/family...kind of scary. Although...that can be a good thing... ;)

SASM
09-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Not sure if you'd be willing to consider coming this far north, but since you mentioned mid-Atlantic, I'll throw it out there--have you considered NJ? Maybe Monmouth County-ish? There are lots of towns on or near the ocean, many with good schools. Lots of good doctors and several well-regarded hospitals nearby, plus the tippy top NYC hospitals within an hour or so. Close to both NYC and Philadelphia for tons of culture and big city fun stuff. Plenty of activities for kids/families, and a bunch of universities with nursing programs. Plus, tons of stores--Costco, TJs, WF, numerous malls, and pretty much anything else you can think of, within a reasonable driving distance.
Beach right nearby, mountains for skiing (some skiing within an hour or so, "real" skiing maybe 3-4 hours away), lots of nice parks, etc. Just my 2 cents, since I never pass up a chance to talk up NJ :)!

Thank you AND Hmmmmm...its now officially on the radar. :) NOt sure about NJ, as DH really wants to try to escape the brutal winters. When my snow-loving, Adirondacks-raised DH says he's had enough, I HEAR him!! I am all for milder winters! That being said, NJ is supposedly milder than NE, right?

jenfromnj
09-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Thank you AND Hmmmmm...its now officially on the radar. :) NOt sure about NJ, as DH really wants to try to escape the brutal winters. When my snow-loving, Adirondacks-raised DH says he's had enough, I HEAR him!! I am all for milder winters! That being said, NJ is supposedly milder than NE, right?

The winters here are definitely milder than in New England/upstate NY, though not as mild as, say, NC. It does get reasonably cold in the winter though (but not so cold you can't stand to be outside, except for a few days here and there), and there's some snow. But the areas closest to the coast tend to get a lot less snow, so that's something to consider. And it's nice to have 4 seasons, IMO. There really is a lot of good stuff around here!

SASM
09-21-2011, 11:31 PM
The winters here are definitely milder than in New England/upstate NY, though not as mild as, say, NC. It does get reasonably cold in the winter though (but not so cold you can't stand to be outside, except for a few days here and there), and there's some snow. But the areas closest to the coast tend to get a lot less snow, so that's something to consider. And it's nice to have 4 seasons, IMO. There really is a lot of good stuff around here!
Thank you, Jen!!