PDA

View Full Version : Serious 2 yo battles???

BabbyO
09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Well, the good news is that DS1 loves his new little brother. Hugs and kisses all around, all the time.

What DS1 doesn't love and battles is (1) Naptime (2) Anyone other than mommy helping/holding/doing for him.

Naptime has been a battle for a while. We thought we got it sorted out before DS2 arrived with a new white noise machine that matches what is used at the sitters. However, even that is not working now.

We try to be firm...he tears his room apart and doesn't sleep anyway (literally can leave him in his room for hours and he won't sleep).

We try bribes...I don't want to keep this up...but when you see your sick with croup 2 yo showing all the signs of being tired...even having him fall asleep at lunch time, just to wake up and fight nap, you'll try anything.

We've tried car rides...this works sometimes...but not always and the nap ends the minute the car ride ends. I can't afford to just drive for hours.

We've tried quiet time with books or movie/TV. They just don't work.

I wouldn't worry. I know some kids outgrow naps by this age...but DS clearly NEEDS a nap. He gets cranky, is rubbing his eyes, will even fall asleep at lunch or dinner...but fights sleeping.

As for the insisting that mommy do everything...well, I just can't. I'm still recovering (post partum) and it is taxing to lift him all the time. I think it is what lead to some serious cramping 1 week PP that sent me back to the doctor. Furthermore, as much as I try to put aside time for DS1 every single day...I can't do everything for him. He whines, and cries and throws tantrums.

In just a week I'll have both boys by myself during the day, and I don't know how I'm going to handle it. (Right now DS1 is going to the sitter so I can heal, recoup and have a couple weeks with DS2).

Last night I started to lose my cool with DS1 (yelling at him) because he was being such a whiny brat. I keep trying to remind myself that this is a phase and it will pass....but it feels like it has been going on forever. (the clinginess started when I was PG before having DS2).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wits end here and feeling like I'm totally failing as a mommy. DH tries to help...but when DS1 is acting this way it only makes things worse. The only thing that actually makes things better is if I am GONE. According to DH when DS1 thinks I'm gone (or I AM gone...or he and DS1 are out alone, DS1 behaves really well). When I'm around, he's a huge handful. I want my sweet boy back.