PDA

View Full Version : Another Naming Thread, Please Help!

Bens Momma
09-19-2011, 10:30 AM
As this will be boy #3 for us, we've had a tougher time coming up with a name we love this time around. I think we've finally narrowed it down but are having trouble deciding the order for the first & middle name. The names we've chosen are Declan Samuel OR Samuel Declan. We flip-flop just about every other day with the order so would love your opinions and help. I have some pros/cons both ways but won't share them cause I want to hear what you guys think. If it matters, both DC's have traditional sounding names and are usually called by their short forms (ie Matt for Matthew) and our last name is one syllable starting with the letter "S." Also if you have a great boy name combo that you'd like to suggest, do ahead! Dr. just moved my due date up so we probably have under two weeks to get this nailed down!

Thanks!
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!

lil_acorn
09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
I would go with Declan Samuel since your last name starts with an S. I like both names!

Indianamom2
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Samuel Declan since your other boys have tradtional first names.

Ceepa
09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Considering your last name is a one-syllable S name I'd go with Declan Samuel.

artvandalay
09-19-2011, 10:44 AM
I would go with Declan Samuel since your last name starts with an S. I like both names!

:yeahthat:

HIU8
09-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Declan Samuel sounds really really nice.

Canna
09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I would definitely make Samuel the first name. I think it's a beautiful and versatile name. The fact that your last name starts with S wouldn't deter me at all. Our last name starts with A (one syllable) and our top choice for a boy would have been a two syllable A name. Some people don't care for the alliteration, but it wouldn't trouble me at all.

trcy
09-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Samuel Declan since your other boys have tradtional first names.:yeahthat:

KpbS
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
I like Samuel Declan best. I would want to shorten Samuel to Sam sometimes and as long as your last name isn't too similar to Samuel/Sam (Stanford, Sanders, etc.) I think it is fine. Plus I think Samuel works better as a more traditional first name.

ha98ed14
09-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I like the sound of Declan Samuel Smith, BUT if you know you will shorten it, then use Samuel first. Calling him Deck or Decker is weird IMO if other DC have names like Matt, Ben, Tim. "Dec" just does not fit the patten, IMO, but Sam does.

crl
09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I like Samuel first!

Catherine

lhafer
09-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I personally like Declan Samuel the best.

But I think it kind of depends on your other children's names. If they are traditional in the sense of Matthew, James, David, Thomas, etc, then I think Declan Samuel fits just fine. (Matt, Tom, Declan).

If the names are more traditional in the sense of more *Biblical* names (I know the names listed above are Biblical, but they sound different to me) like Elijah, Isaac, Isaiah, Zachariah, etc, then I think Samuel Declan would work better. (Eli, Zach, Sam).

But if you go with Declan as the first name - it would have to be Declan IMO. There isn't a good *shorter* name for Declan. So if having a 2 syllable first name is okay with you when your other kids go by 1 syllable names...then go for it!! It wouldn't bother me at all.

BabyBearsMom
09-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Declan Samuel. I had a lisp as a child and if my first and last name started with an "S" every introduction would have brought me to tears. My married last name starts with an S (and thankfully I am over the lisp), but I will never choose a first name that also starts with an S just in case my kids also have a lisp.

MommyAllison
09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
I vote Declan Samuel...but I am biased. ;)

Trigglet
09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
I'd go for Samuel Declan - I prefer Sam to Dec as short versions and I actually really like alliteration. (DS would have been Thomas if we didn't already have several Toms in the family - our surname starts with T). And Sam is a lovely strong, masculine but soft sounding name. Love it.

luckytwenty
09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Samuel!

Momit
09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I vote for Samuel Declan because I love the name Samuel, plus Sam is a great nickname, plus I'm a fan of alliteration (my first and last initial were the same before I got married and I thought it was cool growing up).

JoyNChrist
09-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I think Samuel Declan fits better with the style of your other boys' names.

sste
09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I love the name Declan so I am voting Declan Samuel. The result of Samuel Declan is going to be "Sam." Which is fine if you love Sam. But I am thinking Sam plus one syllable first name that I think? you said begins with S is going to sound sing-songy.

Bens Momma
09-19-2011, 12:27 PM
OMG, this is hysterical! As I count opinions so far, it runs even (I counted one opinion for both options as pp had points for both names) so I don't feel so bad for not being able to decide! Here's what I think in a nutshell, I really like both names and could see using either as a first name. I think Samuel Declan S. rolls off the tongue a little better, but both actually sound fine. I really like Samuel but am lukewarm about "Sam" as a nickname. Declan isn't as traditional, but DH and I both LOVE the name and think it sounds strong and makes a good little boy and man's name (you know how some names sound great for a kid but not so much for a man?) I think "Sam" goes better with DS1 & 2's nicknames. Maybe we should just go with something like Rex and call it a day :dizzy:! Please keep the opinions coming, it's helpful to hear everyone's viewpoints!

Bens Momma
09-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I think Samuel Declan fits better with the style of your other boys' names.

Yes, I agree!

Bens Momma
09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I love the name Declan so I am voting Declan Samuel. The result of Samuel Declan is going to be "Sam." Which is fine if you love Sam. But I am thinking Sam plus one syllable first name that I think? you said begins with S is going to sound sing-songy.

Totally agree with this too! And I don't really love "Sam" as a nickname but maybe it would grow on me??

klwa
09-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Samuel Declan. Just seems to flow better.

(And, random thought here, but still, DSS would be the initials the other way & my brain immediately goes to Department of Social Services.)

sweet_pea
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Samuel Declan. Just seems to flow better.

:yeahthat:

amldaley
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Declan has been my boys name of choice since the mid 1990's! For first name, I would go with the nickname that works best with your last name....
Sam or Dec?

scrooks
09-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Totally agree with this too! And I don't really love "Sam" as a nickname but maybe it would grow on me??

I think it will. It's funny but my DS is Samuel and i prefer the nickname Sam to his full name anyday! He actually is Sammy at this point but I think he will grow into Sam.

Tondi G
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I vote Declan Samuel. Declan was on my list of boys names when DS2 was on the way.

kerridean
09-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Samuel...classic!

mum-to-be
09-19-2011, 11:58 PM
I was originally going to say Samuel Declan, but I agree, the Declan will be lost. Declan seems like a less common name, which would be good because he won't have to be Declan S. at school.

My favorite boy name is Liam. Maybe Liam Declan? Or Declan Liam?

Uno-Mom
09-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I've never heard the name Declan. It's cool! I would go Declan Samuel myself.

(And this is from a woman who is going to name her kid Samuel (Sam) if she ever has a son!)

In my area, "Declan" would be a very unusual name, which would be cool. And if your boy grows up to prefer a less distinctive name, he can always go by his middle. I have several guy friends who were given unusual first names and traditional middles, with just that thought in mind. It works nicely, IMO.

happymom
09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
I think you should make your choice based on what you will be calling him every day. I wouldnt go with Sam just because it "fits" better with your other boys names. You LOVE Declan, so go with Declan! I do think its important for the first name(s) to flow well with the last name, but you said it works ok either way. So I vote for Declan Samuel. If you go with Samuel Declan, you will rarely call him Declan, which would be a shame since you like it so much!!

TwinFoxes
09-20-2011, 04:40 AM
I like Samuel Declan. I think the illiteration sounds great. Think "Sam Spade". :) Plus if you want to shorten his name like you do the other boys, Dec sounds too much like Dick.

Bens Momma
09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Plus if you want to shorten his name like you do the other boys, Dec sounds too much like Dick.

See it's things like this that I hadn't thought of and a great reason to get the expertise of the BBB members!! DH and I are watching this thread carefully so thanks for all the great input! I keep saying both names about 1,000 times a day and still don't know.....but I'm getting closer :wink2:!

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I like Samuel Declan best and if you have a generic S last name like Smith or Stevens or Sheppard then I think that Samuel will sound fine with an S last name. I do like the name Declan as a first name though too, but if you do want a nick name for him you'll have to be more creative.