PDA

View Full Version : HA PJ sizing

AKMom
09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
My almost 14 month old is in desperate need of new PJ's and I've decided to invest in some HA's, but I want to make sure she can wear them for a while (I bought too small Gymbo's that shrunk in the dryer and only lasted the summer and don't want to do that again!!!). She is about 23 lbs and 32 inches long. I really want to be able to dry these in the dryer instead of air drying!! Do they shrink in the dryer? What size do you think I should get? Also, do you prefer the one piece or the long johns? Thanks in advance!!

lauti
09-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I find the LJs to be more generous in sizing than the one-pieces.

I'd probably try an 80 on her to start.

YouAreTheFocus
09-19-2011, 06:30 PM
80s will be perfect. My 23 mos old is still totally fine in his one-piece 80s (he got them at 15 mos)! We prefer the one-piece style.

toby
09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
We also preferred the one piece. I always put them in the dryer and they lasted a long time because of the roll up cuffs (on both arms and legs). Well-spent money IMO.

hoodlims
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
yes, the 80s sound perfect. My daughter is 34 inches long and 26lbs and she is still wearing that size (at Costco I think they also started it was 18-24mo) and they fit well...starting to get a bit short. They are for the thinner kid though, as they fit pretty tightly.

lizzywednesday
09-20-2011, 08:28 AM
yes, the 80s sound perfect. My daughter is 34 inches long and 26lbs and she is still wearing that size (at Costco I think they also started it was 18-24mo) and they fit well...starting to get a bit short. They are for the thinner kid though, as they fit pretty tightly.

Actually, since they are not treated with flame retardant, they're supposed to fit snugly, so it's not a "thinner kid" issue, but rather adjusting to the different fit when you compare it to other brands that treat with flame retardant.

You'll find similar fits with other untreated cotton PJs from Carter's, ON, Gap, etc.

magrat
09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I'd even consider the size 90. The great thing about the HA one pieces is that the cuffs can be rolled if necessary, but may not even need to be because they're tight enough to sit at the wrist and ankle even if they're too long. I'm not worried about fire, so I don't mind that they're not snug fitting. I just bought size 90 for my 18 month old son (he was about the same height as your daughter at 15 months) and they're just fine! He is going to fit in them for a very long time too.

citymama
09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Definitely get her an 80, and I'd recommend a 2-piece long johns set for maximum length of use. My 31 inch tall DD can wear the 80s with the cuffs rolled up. My older kid was in size 90 LJs from about 35-40 inches, so I think that is going to be too big for her unless she is chunky, which it doesn't sound like.

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 02:45 PM
My DD is in a cloth diaper at night and the 80 long johns fit her fine. Even without the cloth diaper they are a little baggier, but overall I was really surprised how well they fit because even not on her they look big.

AKMom
09-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks so much for all of the replies!! I feel a lot better about ordering now!! Does anybody have experiences with returns if they, by chance, don't fit? I don't have a store close to me, or I'd just go in and try some on her. Also, the cotton is soft, right?

citymama
09-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks so much for all of the replies!! I feel a lot better about ordering now!! Does anybody have experiences with returns if they, by chance, don't fit? I don't have a store close to me, or I'd just go in and try some on her. Also, the cotton is soft, right?

The cotton is super soft and gets softer with each wash. The trick is to buy the color/color combos rather than white background w print or white/color stripes. As long as you have the tags on you can return any time, even a year later. If you are able to wait a few weeks, the outlets usually have a good Columbus Day sale and you can order by phone, even a day ahead if time.

AKMom
09-21-2011, 03:10 PM
I can totally wait!! We're in Texas so her short pj's should work fine through at least September. The only thing I was worried about with ordering from the outlet was not being very familiar with the styles. I don't want to call and sound like an idiot or end up with things I don't like. Do they have the same things at the outlet that they have online? Citymama, so I shouldn't get the cute printed pj's? Is it just that they are less soft?

citymama
09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I can totally wait!! We're in Texas so her short pj's should work fine through at least September. The only thing I was worried about with ordering from the outlet was not being very familiar with the styles. I don't want to call and sound like an idiot or end up with things I don't like. Do they have the same things at the outlet that they have online? Citymama, so I shouldn't get the cute printed pj's? Is it just that they are less soft?

They are less soft, I'm sorry to say. But they're still really nice! My 16 month old has 3 striped zippers (2 in 70 and one in 80), one striped LJ in 80 and two pairs of prints (bugs in 70 and kittycats in 80). They're all adorable, wash well and are soft but the color/color stripes are the softest.

scrooks
09-21-2011, 04:02 PM
I completely agree about the stripes being softer! I didn't believe it until I bought DS some stripped ones...they are soooooo much softer than the prints!

lchang25000
09-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Love the stripy ones!! I only buy those for DS. Not only are they much softer, but also stretchier!

AKMom
09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
That's kind of sad about the stripes being so much better because there are not really any "girly" looking ones on the website. Do the stores or outlets ever have different colors? Also, are the patterned ones still softer than like Gymbo or Hatley? I'm really mourning her outgrowing Kissy Kissy (expensive, but such good quality and insanely SOFT!!!!).

citymama
09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes, the hanna prints are way better quality than Gymbo and gap. The outlets are likely to have 2010 prints and colors - see if you can find the pink and orange mix-it-up LJs which are super cute. Have you looked at eBay? Used Hanna stripes are great too!

Eta: if you like kissy kissy, have you tried petit bateau? Its even better!

AKMom
09-22-2011, 04:12 PM
No, I haven't tried Petit Bateau!! Do they have bigger sizes? My DD is too long in the torso for the Kissy Kissy 18-24 month now and I am SO sad that they don't have anything bigger to wear at night. I am going to google Petit Bateau and then try ebay for some HA stripes!! Thank you SO much for all of the advice!!!

citymama
09-22-2011, 04:37 PM
No, I haven't tried Petit Bateau!! Do they have bigger sizes? My DD is too long in the torso for the Kissy Kissy 18-24 month now and I am SO sad that they don't have anything bigger to wear at night. I am going to google Petit Bateau and then try ebay for some HA stripes!! Thank you SO much for all of the advice!!!

Petit Bateau is heaven. They have stuff all the way through teen, but the cutest are the baby/toddler things for sure. There's an ebay seller who has a lot of NWT PB - I usually size up a little. There is also a store in NYC!