PDA

View Full Version : Do you decline social invites to watch sports at home?

BeachBum
09-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Now that it's football season I feel I can't entertain at all because it's always "game day" for someone. My husband loves sports--but we would never decline a social invite (that we would otherwise attend) to watch a sporting event at home. That's what smart phones are for! Just curious...do you (and by you I mean your family generically)?

Poll coming...feel free to comment.

momof2girls
09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
No way! then again, I hate sports!

I do find that many people plan their weekends around watching certains games. Whatever floats their boats. I just can't imagine planning my schedule around stuff like that. I'm too busy getting my kids to their own games!

hellokitty
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
No way! then again, I hate sports!

I do find that many people plan their weekends around watching certains games. Whatever floats their boats. I just can't imagine planning my schedule around stuff like that. I'm too busy getting my kids to their own games!

:yeahthat: However, my DH would. I bet the answers here will be completely opposite from a men's msg board, lol.

ahisma
09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
No. My DH gets cranky about it sometimes though. He missed a game this weekend to take DS to a birthday party.

We did schedule DS's party so that it didn't conflict with football. I don't care personally, but I didn't want a cranky DH at the party!

jenfromnj
09-19-2011, 06:53 PM
We don't, but we're not rabid sports fans. (Well, my DH loves the Yankees, but he's content to check scores occasionally on his phone.)

I do know a bunch of people who do this, though--one person we know won't even make plans on Sundays during football season, period. That, I don't really get, but I'm fine with not really seeing that person too often, so in that case, it's for the best.

ellies mom
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
That is what the DVR is for. Just don't tell the husband the results and we are all good.

JBaxter
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Depends on who is playing and who THEY are playing.

scrooks
09-19-2011, 07:08 PM
It depends on the game. I did have to somewhat drag DH to a cookout on Sunday afternoon.

fivi2
09-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Well, dh has season tickets to home games, so I might decline based on whether I am up for taking the kids by myself.

Away games - usually we wouldn't decline, but *maybe* for a really big game. I am talking about college football here, so it isn't quite as many games as some other sports! And I live in a college town, so most people around here plan around the big games to some extent.

eta: but I probably wouldn't admit to the host that it was the reason for missing.

megs4413
09-19-2011, 07:24 PM
You don't have an "other" option....my answer would be depends on what season, what sport, where we are in the season, what's the matchup, can i DVR without having the ending blown for me..,etc, etc, etc.

It would also depend on what I was being invited to and by whom.

elliput
09-19-2011, 07:29 PM
We don't watch sports on TV, so would not use "watching the game" as an excuse to decline.

TwinFoxes
09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
It really depends on who's playing, where they are in the season, and what the event is. If it's an important event, we won't turn it down, and risk the spoilers and watch it on TiVo. If it's not a big event, and the game was important to one of us, we'd decline.

ETA: I didn't vote because there's no "other" option, I think your results are skewed because of that oversight.

rlu
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
You don't have an "other" option....my answer would be depends on what season, what sport, where we are in the season, what's the matchup, can i DVR without having the ending blown for me..,etc, etc, etc.

It would also depend on what I was being invited to and by whom.

This. If you are talking Superbowl and it's one particular friend of ours who has trigger finger on the remote every other play, then, yes, we decline as we'd like to actually watch the game. Same with hockey playoffs. But regular games, we wouldn't turn someone down.

SnuggleBuggles
09-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I need an "other" option. During football seaon I fly so to parties. Most People here though are smart enough not to schedule during games since most everyone watches. But, our one set of friends hates sports and doesn't pay a bit of attention to team schede when planning. I dont think we have declined one of their invites but if we all go, odds are dh will be listening to the game somehow at the party.

Beth

mctlaw
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't watch sports, period. If I even have awareness that some big game is on, which is unlikely, I would use that as a good time to hit stores that are usually crowded.

My DH has his vices, but I am sure glad being an armchair athlete is not one of them!

Canna
09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
No. No one in our family watches sports except maybe the Olympics.

I love (and share) my husband's lack of sportsfanism.

jren
09-19-2011, 09:03 PM
My DH will DVR it and watch it later (warning all others not to mention the game to him), just so we can do things together as a family. Of course, he prefers to watch it live.

smilequeen
09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I would never turn something down so I could watch a game. I love to watch games, but only when they fit into my life not the other way around.

amldaley
09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
No. No one in our family watches sports except maybe the Olympics.

I love (and share) my husband's lack of sportsfanism.

:yeahthat:

lhafer
09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
My DH will DVR it and watch it later (warning all others not to mention the game to him), just so we can do things together as a family. Of course, he prefers to watch it live.

:yeahthat:

Except we actually prefer to watch it about an hour behind so we can fast forward through commercials (unless it's the Super Bowl of course!).

wellyes
09-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Nope, but I wouldn't schedule a birthday party on a Sunday afternoon in fall either. Does not seem polite.

kijip
09-19-2011, 09:16 PM
No. If we get to catch the baseball game on the radio, great. If not? We will live. Last I checked. We prefer to see the sports we like in person...really we only follow the Mariners and the Seattle Storm. We will go the Sounders games but are not huge fans. We also go to Rat City Rollergirl bouts but I am not the sort of fan who will hunt down the Internet broadcast of a derby match online.

Football? I have literally no interest in at all and neither does my husband.