PDA

View Full Version : Peeling toes and fingers?

fivi2
09-19-2011, 08:04 PM
The same dd (5.5 yo) that had the mystery rash a few weeks ago (has finally cleared up) now has peeling toes and fingers/palms. No itching, no redness. Just skin flaking off. She told me she had blisters, but they aren't really fluid filled and don't hurt - they just flake off. But it is patchy - not big areas, just a lot of smallish ones. The mystery rash wasn't on her palms or feet/toes, so I don't know if it is related. She wears socks and sneakers to school every day, but not sure why it would be on her fingers and palms if it is related to footwear. No sign of it on her twin.

Any ideas?

reneed
09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
DS had this last year and I changed to unscented soap (Dove) to wash up, bathe, hands etc. and it stopped. I think the fragrance in the soap was too strong for him

gamma
09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Scarlet Fever? Any history of a sore throat?

hellokitty
09-19-2011, 08:45 PM
She has scarlet fever. I had it when I was in third grade.

lhafer
09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Sounds like the end of Scarlet Fever to me. The rash is a classic sign of it, and many times it peels afterwards. Had it when I was 13. Developed from a strep throat that I never got treated for.

fivi2
09-19-2011, 09:13 PM
I read the Scarlet fever thing on dr. google, but I really don't think that was it. No fever, no strep, no sore throat. Nothing but a weird rash (ped said folliculitis, derm wasn't sure, but it didn't look anything like the scarlet fever rash pics). The rash cleared up and now the peeling. I guess the peeling must be related to the rash, but it is weird!

The soap is possible, but we switched to cetaphil with the mystery rash and I thought it was supposed to be pretty gentle...?

Thanks for the input!

buddyleebaby
09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
FWIW, I had scarlet fever when I was in first grade and my only symptoms were rash and then the peeling fingers.
We were on vacation and my mom assumed the rash was from sleeping on sheets washed in a different detergent than usual (as I was a very rashy kid). We got home and I was going to school as usual. I never felt even slightly sick.
It was not until I was sitting at the breakfast table picking at my peeling skin that my my yelled "WHAT did you do to your fingers?" and brought me to the pediatrician.
Scarlet fever.
The good news is, when the peeling starts, it's nearly over.

shawnandangel
09-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Peeling rashes on the hands and feet should always warrant a call to your pediatrician. It may be something more minor like a skin allergy but it is also a symptom of more serious illness such as Steven-Johnson's Syndrome.

If your DD gets a fever, is vomiting, diarrhea, painful skin, swelling in the face, or altered level of conciousness - don't hesitate - call 911 or go to the ER.

has she had ibuprofen or any other anti-inflammatory drugs recently?

crayonblue
09-19-2011, 10:14 PM
DD's fingers and toes peel various times throughout the year. They will be fine for months and then peel off for a few weeks and then back to fine. Doesn't really bother her but looks horrid! I've asked her ped and also taken her to a dermatologist. No real answers except that this is what her skin does. :(

fivi2
09-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone. No meds or anything after she finished her abx a week or 10 days ago. I can't think of anything new as far as detergents.

I will call the ped in the morning and see if they want me to bring her in, and we will definitely be on the lookout for other symptoms.

salsah
09-20-2011, 12:03 AM
DD has had that happen twice. both times, it turned out that she had strep throat. she never had a fever or sore throat or any other symptoms. our ped said that some people can experience peeling of the digits with strep.

MaiseyDog
09-20-2011, 12:04 AM
This is me as well. DH tells me tells me I molt. My hands and feet peel about twice a year. They peel and then go back to normal. Doesn't hurt, just looks bad and is annoying Every MD who I've asked about it says that some people just do this.