PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Waldorf schools

WatchingThemGrow
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
We went to the dump to dispose of an old dropside crib we'd loaned out today and stumbled upon our local Waldorf school. It looked interesting. What do you guys know about them? We're not planning on going there obviously, but I want to know more in a curious way.

crl
09-20-2011, 12:03 AM
There used to be a lot of info on mothering dot com forums. There is (or at least used to be) a Waldof sub forum. And then there were some "recovering" from Waldorf threads in, umm, maybe the personal growth forum.

I visited a Waldorf school when looking for an extra year of preschool for ds, who was special needs. They were willing to take him on a trial for two weeks to see if he fit in. I couldn't imagine anything worse for ds than a two week trial. Additionally they had this lovely zen vibe going and I really felt that my anxious, energetic kiddo would disrupt it in an unwelcome way.

I have a friend who sent her son to a public waldorf school for K and 1st and then ended up having him repeat 1st in a regular public school. Waldorf tends toward delayed academics and so past preschool it can be difficult to transition to a regular school setting, at least until high school, I believe. I am not necessarily opposed to delayed academics, just something to know.

Waldorf is also quasi-religious and many claim that schools deliberately do not make that underlying philosophy clear to parents.

They have some fabulous toys though!

Catherine

Uno-Mom
09-20-2011, 12:15 AM
I asked the same question back in May! Lots of people responded, you can probably look it up if you're really curious.

My take-away from all the advice was: it depends. Seems that the schools vary a LOT. They vary in how much they celebrate the "religious" aspect (which does seem to be a little strange, but not much stranger than the religion I practice :) ) and they vary in the quality of academics.

Our local Waldorf seems to be lovely. Depending on how she evolves, we might check it out for Sprog. Our personal criteria will be seeing proof that the school goes light on the religious aspect and that they demonstrate strong academic performance. We're ok with them taking the academics at a different pace or order than standard public ed but we do need to see strong outcomes from their graduates. Mind you, she's 22 months old so this is only vague theory right now. We'll most likely see things differently when the time comes.

DH and I are big-time traditional classroom & traditional book-learners. Our kid seems to be taking after our precocious verbal skills. So, it might do her a lot of good to get balanced by a non-traditional school setting since she will get so much traditional learning at home. KWIM?

KpbS
09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Some old threads

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=392968&highlight=Waldorf

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=374986&highlight=Waldorf

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=336056&highlight=Waldorf

Uno-Mom
09-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Some old threads

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=392968&highlight=Waldorf

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=374986&highlight=Waldorf

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=336056&highlight=Waldorf

Hee hee, that's funny. I could've sworn my post was from May right after we attended our local Waldorf's May Day celebration. Either my memory is off or our local Waldorf has a shaky grasp of the calendar!

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2011, 07:16 AM
very interesting links! Sorry I didn't search for them myself :bag

The one person I know who went there went k-12. He's a woodworker now and dated my old roommate for many years with no intention of moving forward with the relationship. Although, they brought us a delicious and huge meal when DD and later DS1 were born. Then he fell off a deck and broke his neck. He was a neat, slow moving, quiet guy. I guess he's even slower now.

Melanie
09-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Love them. We're very happy with it. It is definitely a commitment to live a lifestyle that isn't the norm, which can be challenging at times - not within our nuclear family as it's all they have known - but with relatives or friends. And like a PPer said, if you start at Waldorf, then switch in the first three grades there is a child your child will be behind in the basic academics. Of course they will have learned many more other things, but again, it's a commitment, to follow it through for several years or you may have to get tutoring, etc. I can't say enough how wonderful it's been for our family, though.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2011, 07:37 AM
I really was intrigued by the one near me but then I read the parent handbook online and it didn't seem like a good fit for our family. We watch tv, listen to the radio, I am not terribly opposed to licensed character clothing and some other things that just made me worry that we wouldn't fit in. I have since heard that it really isn't as hard core as they made it out to sound and that we wouldn't be the only more "mainstream" families there. But, I didn't pursue it. They do have a great mommy and me type program I should look into with my 3yo though,

Beth

brittone2
09-20-2011, 09:00 AM
We went to the dump to dispose of an old dropside crib we'd loaned out today and stumbled upon our local Waldorf school. It looked interesting. What do you guys know about them? We're not planning on going there obviously, but I want to know more in a curious way.

We sometimes attended the puppet shows (usually based on Grimm's Fairytales), the WinterFaire, etc. there. I liked visiting the school store for art supplies (stockmar crayons, good watercolors), wooden toys, and roving (when DS1 was younger I made needle-felted toys sometimes).

I also attended the most amazing tag sale there post-Katrina (they did it as a fundraiser). Best stuff ever!

That said, I always felt outcrunched :rotflmao:there when I visited because I don't dress all artsy, etc. If we had attended, maybe I would have found some families to hang out with.

If you ever want to check it out hit their winterfaire or a puppet show (if they are still doing them) . THey have a MayFaire too.

AngelaS
09-20-2011, 09:17 AM
The women who ran the Waldorf school fundraiser for the school in our old city didn't shave their armpits.

I knew we wouldn't fit in there.....

Momit
09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I asked this question in a thread maybe a year ago (not sure if it's one of the ones quoted above or not) and got some very interesting responses. I would also recommend checking out the threads on MDC.

I like what I've seen of Waldorf, but it is definitely a lifestyle choice and some schools sound almost cult-like from what you read in those MDC posts. But we know people who have had their kids in them and swear by them. We lived in Germany (which is where the philosophy originated) and the schools are very highly regarded by many people we knew there. And DS's German preschool had a very Waldorfy feel with daily outdoor time no matter what the weather, lots of crafts, old school type wooden toys, cooking projects etc. - and he loved it much more than he does his preschool now.

We don't have a Waldorf near us now, but we will probably be moving soon to an area with several and I plan to at least check them out.

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I really think it has to work for your family's dynamic for it to work, and honestly it's not cheap. It made our local JCC seem cheap which is $600 a month for 5 day week 3 hr. drop off (which is about the norm for full day drop off preschool/kindergarten at local churches). I think I have posted in the other waldorf posts about it so I'll keep this post short.

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2011, 01:25 PM
]
That said, I always felt outcrunched :rotflmao:there when I visited because I don't dress all artsy, etc.
That's hilarious :hysterical: Yes, I could see how you guys don't look the part. IIRC, your DH was wearing regular store-bought clothes when I met him, and you look like a model. :) I Saw a guy the other day wearing a completely woven/shapeless shirt doing a backcarry in an old school Ergo. Maybe he belonged there. One student I saw in the parking lot (or series of small gravel areas) was wearing Tea Collection and getting into her Odyssey. Not sure what cars I thought hippies drive, but the one I knew from preschool had an older Volvo with hula hoops in the back.

I went to a kids concert the other day at our completely stone outdoor venue and just realized how (what's the opposite of non-crunchy?...) prissy I am in comparison to so many parents in my area.

I should try to read the parent handbook. I'd love to go see some of the festivals/shows sometime. We'd have to dig up the right clothes, though. Our electric Hannas may give us away. Maybe what Melanie describes is why we don't know of many families who go there. They aren't likely going to our church, our gym, or Sam's Club, lol.

Seems like it would be a great place to "belong" if it's the right fit for your family.

Melanie
09-20-2011, 01:29 PM
LOL. I can assure you, I shave regularly. But I guess the 'flavor' of the community can vary. ;)

brittone2
09-20-2011, 01:36 PM
That's hilarious :hysterical: Yes, I could see how you guys don't look the part. IIRC, your DH was wearing regular store-bought clothes when I met him, and you look like a model. :) I Saw a guy the other day wearing a completely woven/shapeless shirt doing a backcarry in an old school Ergo. Maybe he belonged there. One student I saw in the parking lot (or series of small gravel areas) was wearing Tea Collection and getting into her Odyssey. Not sure what cars I thought hippies drive, but the one I knew from preschool had an older Volvo with hula hoops in the back.

I went to a kids concert the other day at our completely stone outdoor venue and just realized how (what's the opposite of non-crunchy?...) prissy I am in comparison to so many parents in my area.

I should try to read the parent handbook. I'd love to go see some of the festivals/shows sometime. We'd have to dig up the right clothes, though. Our electric Hannas may give us away. Maybe what Melanie describes is why we don't know of many families who go there. They aren't likely going to our church, our gym, or Sam's Club, lol.

Seems like it would be a great place to "belong" if it's the right fit for your family.
Hardy har har on the model thing. YOu are funny :hysterical: DH is very much a polo/khakis guy and not so into the shapeless/woven shirt look ;) We don't look the part. I definitely felt outcrunched, LOL

You'll see lots of HA at most Waldorf schools IME. No logos ;) is one reason.

At events at the school I've seen lots of Odys (see, you'd fit right in ;) ), volvos, and of course hybrids/priuses (what the heck is the plural of a prius? priuses sounds vulgar or something :rotflmao:).

eta: have you guys ever gone to a Paperhand Puppet show?

Melanie
09-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Oh yes, tons and tons of Hanna. Actually my very first ever Hanna-sighting was at a Waldorf faire (Before Ds was a student and we were near a store).

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2011, 01:44 PM
eta: have you guys ever gone to a Paperhand Puppet show?
They came to the school where DD is in K, when I was teaching there 10 years ago. I think they were doing one at the outdoor theatre several weekends this past month, but we never made it up there since we had family visiting and visiting and visiting every single weekend. Are they tied to the school?

brittone2
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
They came to the school where DD is in K, when I was teaching there 10 years ago. I think they were doing one at the outdoor theatre several weekends this past month, but we never made it up there since we had family visiting and visiting and visiting every single weekend. Are they tied to the school?
No, but sometimes one of the big puppets makes an appearance. I think some of the staff/students are part of the paperhand troupe because of their artistic inclinations, but they aren't officially affiliated w/ the school. We saw them in the stone venue you were talking about, which is what make me think to mention it.

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 01:56 PM
One student I saw in the parking lot (or series of small gravel areas) was wearing Tea Collection and getting into her Odyssey. Not sure what cars I thought hippies drive, but the one I knew from preschool had an older Volvo with hula hoops in the back.

My hippie crunchy vegan Waldorf friends drive an Odyssey. She is 30 yrs. old and has been driving a minivan since she had her oldest daughter at 24, which I thought was pretty funny because I wasn't much older at 27 and thought a 24 yr. old driving a mini van (that wasn't a VW bus) was a little strange. Her DH drives a Solara. Their kids don't have much Tea Collection or Hanna, but the little boy I nannied for in college who later went to Waldorf school for K-8 (he's now a jr. in high school, I think) even at 18 months old looked like a poster child for Hanna.

brittone2
09-20-2011, 02:01 PM
My hippie crunchy vegan Waldorf friends drive an Odyssey. She is 30 yrs. old and has been driving a minivan since she had her oldest daughter at 24, which I thought was pretty funny because I wasn't much older at 27 and thought a 24 yr. old driving a mini van (that wasn't a VW bus) was a little strange. Her DH drives a Solara. Their kids don't have much Tea Collection or Hanna, but the little boy I nannied for in college who later went to Waldorf school for K-8 (he's now a jr. in high school, I think) even at 18 months old looked like a poster child for Hanna.

Lots of pilot caps on babies when you attend events at the Waldorf school :)

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Lots of pilot caps on babies when you attend events at the Waldorf school :)
lol - I like it.

Here's an excerpt from the parent handbook re:clothing

General Guidelines
Clothing should be well fitted—not so large that it extends over hands or feet. Likewise, clothing
should not be overly short, tight, backless or strapless. Wide, sagging, overlong, baggy or mesh
shorts or pants are unacceptable. Boys may not wear sleeveless shirts. No writing on any
garments except for Waldorf school t-shirts, or shirts commemorating Emerson Waldorf School
cultural or athletic events.
Clothing may not have tears, stains, holes, or unfinished edges (such as cut-off jeans). Inside-out
shirts or tops are not acceptable.
As the children go outside every day, please send along appropriate gear i.e., raincoat, hood, hat,
boots, warm coat, mittens or gloves, and leg coverings. Shorts are not acceptable in winter.
Label clothing with your child’s name, especially outerwear.
Acceptable patterns, colors, and designs for K-8
Solid colors, overall patterns, stripes, and soft natural images are acceptable.
Small discreet outer brand labels and sports logos must fit within the circle of the teacher’s finger
and thumb of one hand.
Not Acceptable patterns, colors, and designs: Advertising, team logos, words, numbers, cartoon
drawings, camouflage, neon colors are not acceptable.

Other
No underwear should be visible, including boxer shorts and bra straps, including sports bras
Shoes should have non-slip soles and should be sturdy enough for vigorous outside play.
Laces should be tied, not dragging.
Platform shoes, flip-flops, and jellies are not permitted. Crocs may only be worn inside.
Inside shoes should be provided if street shoes are removed in the classroom.
No bare feet on campus at any time.
No make-up or nail polish before 8th grade; discreet make-up and nail polish in 8th grade.
No hair coloring or extreme hair styles.
Jewelry should be tasteful and not distracting.
Watches are for 3rd grade and above, after telling time is introduced. Watches with dial faces
rather than digital watches are recommended. No beeping watches.
Writing and drawing on clothing and skin is not permitted.
Body piercing other than ears is not permitted.
Sunglasses

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Finally, something more restrictive than my DH's dress code for our DC!

It goes on to say they have to wear collars, buttons, belts, dress pants with shirts tucked in for assemblies.

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Finally, something more restrictive than my DH's dress code for our DC!

It goes on to say they have to wear collars, buttons, belts, dress pants with shirts tucked in for assemblies.

That is the dress code at DD1's school too except she has to wear uniforms. I am fine with it honestly. It makes my job simple and if it's on a list then I can tell DD1 she can't wear it.

flygirl555
09-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Rosie O'Donnell sent at least one of her kids (if not all four) to a Waldorf school outside Manhattan (maybe on Long Island?). She talked about it on her Sirius XM radio show all the time.

I seem to recall her oldest son wanted to join the military and was considering switching to a school with stronger academics.