PDA

View Full Version : You know it is 2011 when...

kijip
09-20-2011, 12:31 AM
You find yourself following the details on your team's do or die game on twitter when 1 year ago your response to "you need to join twitter" from your intern at work was "it is never ever happening. over my cold dead body. I mean it, do not sign me up!" :bag

So what is your "it's 2011 and times they are a changin" confession?

Sadly, Seattle Storm fans, Pheonix won at the buzzer after the Storm had been up for most of the game. We are out for the season. Next year. Go Storm! in good news, this means I don't break my fun budget buying conference finals tickets. :loveeyes:

happymom
09-20-2011, 12:39 AM
You know it is 2011 when your (technologically-impaired) almost 60 year old parents have learned to text!

JoyNChrist
09-20-2011, 12:52 AM
I was just thinking of something today...

When I was a kid, probably 8 or so, I loved this book called Aliens Ate My Homework. It was about a boy who encountered miniature aliens who shrunk him and took him aboard their ship to help them save the universe (I don't remember all the details, but I think it was a series). Anyway, while he was on the ship he was given a gift. It was a flat screen that responded to his touch, and he could access any book, newspaper, or magazine in the universe on it.

I remember so vividly thinking that that would be the coolest thing ever. As a kid who loved books more than anything, the idea of having such immediate access to so much knowledge was overwhelming and truly the stuff of fantasy.

I'm typing this on my new iPad. I'm currently reading three different books on my Kindle.

It's so weird to see the things of fiction and fantasy become reality. :)

rlu
09-20-2011, 03:26 AM
You have to dig out stationary & stamps to send actual letters to a friend who just moved to a location with no cell/internet access.

Stacy - I have always had flip phones, how could I not have my own version of a Star Trek communicator? Don't they have shots now that don't prick the skin? Voice controlled computers and interative touch screen computer panels (sadly without Majel's voice). I love living in a Star Trek world.

elizabethkott
09-20-2011, 06:50 AM
I love living in a Star Trek world.

The top 10 Star Trek technologies that actually exist!!!
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/10-star-trek-technologies1.htm

I still want a transporter, tho.

arivecchi
09-20-2011, 07:06 AM
When you see lion king in the movie theatre and the movie looks ancient.

When you realize you buy 85% of your purchases online.

When you see a 2 year old masterfully working an iPad.

lmintzer
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
. . . when your 10-year-old uses Face Time to talk to his friends and grandparents and texts with friends using Bump. (Yikes--how did this happen? -- And no worries--it's very well supervised.)

gatorsmom
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I go camping in a forest where I used to have no access to electricity but can now find out the temperature, identify bugs using the Internet, take pictures of wildlife and beautiful views and send them instantly to other people all using a little electronic device that fits in the palm of my hand. Before this I would have had to research the weather in advance, brought the dead bug home to loom up in a bug book or brought the book with me, had the pictures of wildlife developed at a store before sending them in a letter to friends. Our remote campsite isn't so remote anymore. The world is shrinking.

lizzywednesday
09-20-2011, 09:40 AM

I still want a transporter, tho.

I don't:

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/realm-of-fear

ett
09-20-2011, 11:14 AM
when your kids want to pause the live tv show they're watching.

Claki
09-20-2011, 11:21 AM
My MIL has more Facebook friends than me!

stillplayswithbarbies
09-20-2011, 11:34 AM
when the internet goes down at work and everyone has to go home early because no one can do anything.

We've gone from not being allowed to access the internet at work, to using it for everything from applications to submitted our T&E expenses, and even our phone are internet based now. No internet = no work.

ABO Mama
09-20-2011, 12:51 PM
when your kids want to pause the live tv show they're watching.
:yeahthat:
Not only do they shout, "Pause!" for tv, they will also shout pause for when we're playing a board game, or reading a book, so that they can go potty.

I really don't know how we lived w/o a DVR and TiVo.