PDA

View Full Version : help me explain why my first graders are getting too much homework

blisstwins
09-20-2011, 01:24 AM
My children have a new-to-first grade teacher in a Catholic school. She gives a lot of homework, as in an hour a night, at least. We don't get a weekly packet. This is typical homework:

Monday
*13 words, write them 3 times each

*read a phonic reader (short) twice out loud to your parents

*read your independent reading book once to your parents (these do not seemed to be pegged to my children's levels. The levels seems to vary from cray hard and long to way too easy.

*write the title and author in your reading journal

*math worksheet (write the #1 and #2 many times)--that is "math"

Writing takes a really long time.

What are the arguments against too much homework in early grades? I need to be constructive. Other parents think it is a lot, but good for the kids. Ugh. I need help. Thanks!

kwc
09-20-2011, 01:45 AM
UGH. I don't think busywork is good for kids or parents. Or family relationships. At least two people in my home would end up in tears over that homework assignment (me and DS).
That is an astonishing amount of homework, with no thinking (or reading comprehension) involved.

Is there another first grade class in the school? Is the amount of homework comparable? Is the principal aware of this amount of work?

Here is an old article showing that the benefit of homework in grade school is negligible... it was in the online "files" of one of the grade schools in our school district (an "elite" public district):
http://www.addison.pausd.org/files/addison/homework/Synthesis%20of%20Research%20on%20Homework.pdf

Meanwhile, I would fudge on the reading aloud and spend the time reading aloud to my kids and having them read books at their level to me, and discuss the story. Reading allowed, and discussion of said material is often the homework I am in favor of... I am not wholly against homework (spelling practice, some math is also fine) but busywork makes me really angry.

dhano923
09-20-2011, 02:22 AM
My DS got similar homework in 1st grade and my DD is in 1st grade this year with a different teacher. It would take about 20 minute to write the spelling words, 5-10 minutes for the readers, another 5-10 minutes for math. In 1st grade, they are supposed to read 20 minutes a night, either themselves or a parent reading. We alternate or split the time depending on the night. The child has to write the name and author of the book in their weekly journal to turn in on Friday. It would take DS about 2 minutes to do it. DD's class hasn't started yet but I don't see it taking very long. It used to take him about 40 minutes for the homework. It takes her about 20 because she writes faster than he used to.

jren
09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
That was similar to DD's homework in first. Word study, reading (plus logging), and math sheet front and back. The reading was supposed to take 5 - 10 minutes. Writing it in the log was supposed to take no time (ha). Word study was also supposed to be really quick. They expected the students to "fly" through the math, and some did. Not my DD, sometimes math alone would take HOURS. Our math wasn't what you describe, that was more in K (write 1 to 120, then turn over and do it again, ugh). Still took her an hour or more even just to write the numbers. With 1st grade math, I'd have to reteach her whatever concepts she was supposed to have learned at school b/c she just didn't get it.

Later, I learned that they were only expected to be spending 20 minutes a night on the homework. Once I brought it to the teachers attention, she was fine if DD didn't complete everything. This year (2nd), it's more work but not taking her as long to complete. Probably about 30 - 40 minutes of work if she stays on task. Still too much IMO.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
At our school they stress that homework should only take 10 minutes in 1st grade (provided the kid is actually working vs chatting, doodling, otherwise not engaged). If it takes longer than that the teacher wants to know. Any chance there is a similar policy? We also learned that homework is not graded, just strongly encouraged.

Beth

nfowife
09-20-2011, 08:33 AM
http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/rethinkinghomework.htm

1 hour is not appropriate. 10-20 minutes max. I'd discuss with the teacher.

kristac
09-20-2011, 08:50 AM
That is alot of writing for a 1st grader. Hope you can find a way to lessen the load.

Ceepa
09-20-2011, 08:56 AM
The reading and "math" seem all right to me, but having a new first-grader write 39 words in a sitting? That's wacky.

Does the school typically have a heavy workload for all grades?

KrisM
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
DS1 is in 2nd grade now. He had about 20 minutes of homework a week last year. So far, he hasn't had any homework this year.

I hope you can get the amount lowered. Sounds crazy!

blisstwins
09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Thank you so much for this feedback. I emailed the teacher my concern in advance of our parent event tonight so I will not be putting her on the spot. I just asked what her expectations are with regard to time and corrections. Told her it takes us well over an hour. Can she make her policies more clear and perhaps give us ways to make the homework situation less stressful. We'll see!

american_mama
09-20-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a 4th grade and a 1st grader and IME, 1st grade has by far more homework than any other grade. Don't really understand that. My DD1's homework was similar and it was a problem. A lot of parents just accepted it even if they didn't think it was helpful, which bewildered me, but I now think 1) many of them were fudging parts of the homework and 2) it was a greater shock to those parents whose first child was in 1st grade, so no point of comparison. The more experienced parents had a more cest'la'vie attitude, or were more used to homework, or the kids (younger siblings) were more used to seeing homework. I feel all those things now with my second going through.

I'd log the time it takes to do this for a few days and then talk to teacher.

My suggestions and comparisons....

*13 words, write them 3 times each
Ask for less words. My school gives 5 words a week.

*read a phonic reader (short) twice out loud
We never read it twice and if my child was doing great in reading, we often skipped it.

>> read your independent reading book once to your parents (these do not seemed to be pegged to my children's levels
At my kids school, the library book is stuck in a bag by either a library aide, volunteer, or occasionally the child, which is why the level varies so much. I roll with it and usually read the story aloud or have my child read it while skipping the phonics reader.

>> write the title and author in your reading journal...
I write the title (don't do author), not my child, and that seems standard at my school.

>> math worksheet (write the #1 and #2 many times)--
I'd ask for a substitute of one simple math worksheet (5-10 problems) with real math OR, once they start doing this, math flashcard review of basic addition. (Be warned, quizzing all math addition facts from 1-12 can take a long time).

>> Writing takes a really long time.
I think teachers underestimate the frustration of handwriting. On the other hand, kids do need to practice it to get better and faster, since it will make all other years of homework easier. My 4th grader got the faster message, but not the better message, and I hate that we still struggle over legiible handwriting. Some handwriting practice is important, but your kids are getting that with spelling words and and doing real math... counting, simple addition, filling in a simple number pattern, not just copying numbers.

kboyle
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
At our school they stress that homework should only take 10 minutes in 1st grade (provided the kid is actually working vs chatting, doodling, otherwise not engaged). If it takes longer than that the teacher wants to know. Any chance there is a similar policy? We also learned that homework is not graded, just strongly encouraged.

Beth

i agree, our school is the same way...even now in 3rd gr hw isn't supposed to take more than 15 min.

with that said, ds1's first gr teacher gave out a similar amount and while he wasn't able to finish it in the 15 min timeframe i was ok with that amt of homework, esp now that ive had 2 teachers who give out alot less in higher grades (2nd & 3rd). Charlie learned WAAAY more in the 1st grade than he did last yr and i honestly do think it was because he had to process more info at home than at school.

KrisM
09-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Thank you so much for this feedback. I emailed the teacher my concern in advance of our parent event tonight so I will not be putting her on the spot. I just asked what her expectations are with regard to time and corrections. Told her it takes us well over an hour. Can she make her policies more clear and perhaps give us ways to make the homework situation less stressful. We'll see!

I hope it goes well tonight!

blisstwins
09-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I emailed the teacher in advance today in as friendly a way as possible so that I would not introduce a topic she is not prepared for. I like her and don't want to put her on the spot. This is her first time teaching first grade. I just said that I was looking forward to getting more direction on homework--expectations, time it should take to complete, level of correctness, and I told her how long it has been taking us. I said I was looking forward to hearing whether or not this is the norm/expectation and if not how can we make it less stressful for all of us. We'll see what she says. She is a thoughtful person, so I give the benefit of the doubt.

I am uncomfortable with fudging things or taking shortcuts because I want to teach my children to do their schoolwork carefully and completely. I just want that work to be more reasonable. Otherwise it is going to be a long year!