PDA

View Full Version : i am starting to think this might be food poisoning-

chozen
09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
dd started throwing up sat. night around 8 and continued for the next 4 hrs. or so, now it is tues and she still does not want to eat. i started to get sick late sat night and i am still not able to eat anything but a pc. of toast.

i keep hearing others say that they threw up once and then felt better the next day. how do you know if its food poisoning or virus?

ha98ed14
09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
I am assuming this is the same DD that you posted about with blood in her vomit on Saturday. Did you take her to the doctor on Sunday or Monday? If not, *please* take her to the doctor. It's been 4 days of vomiting, no matter what it is, it needs to be looked at by a doctor.

twowhat?
09-20-2011, 10:24 AM
When I had food poisoning, it was very acute. Vomiting, horrible cramps, diarrhea. It lasted a few hours and then I was completely well.

If she's still not feeling well, I'm guessing it's a virus. If she's otherwise acting well and has no fever, I might call your doctor to ask if you should be seen but I wouldn't be overly concerned if she's acting normally. Last year our kids had some stomach virus that lasted a WEEK where they just didn't want to eat anything! DH and I got it too and for a week couldn't eat ANYTHING! We were otherwise OK except for not wanting to eat.

chozen
09-20-2011, 10:31 AM
I am assuming this is the same DD that you posted about with blood in her vomit on Saturday. Did you take her to the doctor on Sunday or Monday? If not, *please* take her to the doctor. It's been 4 days of vomiting, no matter what it is, it needs to be looked at by a doctor.

no, she has not vomited since sun night, she had 4 hrs. of it sat night then nothing until sun evening she got sick once and since has seemed ok she just does not want to eat.

wellyes
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
When I had food poisoning, it was very acute. Vomiting, horrible cramps, diarrhea. It lasted a few hours and then I was completely well.

This is my experience too. It's HORRIBLE but it's over pretty quick.
Take care of yourself.... gatorade for you & her, lots of rest. Hope you feel better soon.

chozen
09-20-2011, 10:39 AM
This is my experience too. It's HORRIBLE but it's over pretty quick.
Take care of yourself.... gatorade for you & her, lots of rest. Hope you feel better soon.

i have just been wondering about the food poisoning because in the past when i have had a virus it seemed to come and go within 24 hrs. or so. it has been almost three days and my stomach still hurts and neither of us really want to eat. i know when i do eat something i start to feel like i could run to the b.room again. :(

Melaine
09-20-2011, 10:52 AM
are you guys getting plenty of fluids? whether it is food poisoning or not, that's the big deal IMO. The doctor won't prescribe anything for a virus or food poisoning. Unless it gets to the point where you are getting dehydrated that is the concern. Hope you feel better quick though!

ha98ed14
09-20-2011, 10:59 AM
no, she has not vomited since sun night, she had 4 hrs. of it sat night then nothing until sun evening she got sick once and since has seemed ok she just does not want to eat.

Hmmm... That is weird. So would you say she only vomits after eating a significant amount? (Dinner?)

Has she had ever had abdominal surgery? Might sound weird, but DD did as a baby and whenever she pukes for more than one day, we have worry about bowel obstruction/ adhesion.

Glad to hear she has not been puking for 4 days straight. I can see how you wouldn't know because just after she has a period of calm and you think she's getting over it, up it comes again... I think I'd still take her in. The cycle could continue.

chozen
09-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Hmmm... That is weird. So would you say she only vomits after eating a significant amount? (Dinner?)

Has she had ever had abdominal surgery? Might sound weird, but DD did as a baby and whenever she pukes for more than one day, we have worry about bowel obstruction/ adhesion.

Glad to hear she has not been puking for 4 days straight. I can see how you wouldn't know because just after she has a period of calm and you think she's getting over it, up it comes again... I think I'd still take her in. The cycle could continue.

i think the reason she vomited sun night is because DH did not listen to me when i told him to give her a bland diet for the day and he gave rasberries and some other food that her tummy was not ready for.

twowhat?
09-20-2011, 11:04 AM
i have just been wondering about the food poisoning because in the past when i have had a virus it seemed to come and go within 24 hrs. or so. it has been almost three days and my stomach still hurts and neither of us really want to eat. i know when i do eat something i start to feel like i could run to the b.room again. :(

The virus that we had last year was exactly like this. Couldn't eat anything because it'd make us nauseous or running to the bathroom. It lasted a whole week. The DCPs had it too. Food poisoning is (I think) by definition acute. So I really doubt it's food poisoning at this point.

I'd call your pediatrician just to ask.