PDA

View Full Version : Don't do head lice checks before bedtime

dogmom
09-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Because you will find them at bedtime, need to send your husband out to the pharmacy, need to wash everything, need to treat everyone, and no one gets to sleep before midnight.

Oh, and having a 49 yo husband that can't see even with his reading glasses and cannot see the nits, well enough the lice means I'm screwed because he cannot see them on my head and I cannot do myself. The worst part is the varying advice about the stupid nits. I just think I and my DD have them, DH and DS clean. I actually think I got them when I was doing vision screenings on 100 K and 1st graders as a sub RN and had to put my head next to there's to help them with the exam.

ha98ed14
09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
There are no words to describe how much that sucks. :hug:

dogmom
09-20-2011, 11:08 AM
The worst part is I called two families I knew that had dealt with them, because there is sooo much information out there. The one convinced me I had to spend over and hour a day checking through my kid's hairs, everyday, and he had to do it for two months. He wound up cutting his daughter's hair shorter. So I chopped off my DD beautiful red hair to just above her shoulders and I cried about it. Talked to people today and they said there was no reason to do it. Know I'm just really upset about the hair thing and really wished I hadn't of done it.

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I have a friend who went through this all summer. The hair will grow back. I think it was a wise choice b/c you do need to be very diligent about brushing through with one of the preferred combs - licemeister or the one from the pediculosis society.

sarahsthreads
09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Oh, that sucks. I'm so sorry. :(

We combed through for almost 3 weeks - a full 10 days after finding anything at all, just in case we missed anything. The eggs take 7-10 days to hatch.

In our case, DD1 had a couple dozen lice, DD2 had just a few. We used the Nix stuff on DD1 (twice, a week apart as directed) and used a Fairy Tales lice remover on DD2. We combed through both girls hair daily. I think the Fairy Tales product worked as well or better than the Nix, but it's hard to say because I think DD1 had had it longer and had more in her hair in the first place. We were pretty aggressive with DD1's hair since she was starting school a full week earlier than DD2!

As far time to comb, I did spend about 45 minutes/day on DD1's shoulder-length, thick hair, and about 30 minutes/day on DD2's longer, curly, but thinner hair. You have to be super, super thorough.

I've heard there are professional places you can go to (since your DH isn't going to be real helpful with your hair) that will comb through and treat your hair. Good luck!

Sarah

mrshalco
09-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Dogmom!!! I wish you had posted before you cut too! There is a great nit picker place in Cambridge (I see you listed as Boston). My boys picked it up a couple weeks ago and since it's easy to just buzz them, we did! My DH didn't know what he was looking for so I went to this service and was extremely pleased!!! I don't feel the same "ewww" as I did before I learned about what was going on. The place is well worth the money!! I went alone but my SIL went with her 3 girls. Only two of them had it and we are all currently clean - Woo Hoo.

Here is the website if you are interested in making an appointment: http://www.liceinfo.net/ PM me if you have any questions!