PDA

View Full Version : Updated Q: Where to live East of College Park, MD?

ThreeofUs
09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
ETA: Okay, so if we're going to move, DH says "Annapolis!" So what are good places to live on the East Side of U MD CP?

Davidsonville? Riva?

And when I was commuting in to the Naval Research Lab from Annapolis, it was 50 minutes. How long is the commute in from the East now?

If you were going to move and had to be within a reasonable-to-short commute of U MD College Park, where would you pick?

I'm looking for good neighborhoods with decent schools and green space.

Where should I be looking on realtor.com?

weech
09-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Silver Spring is nice and within a short distance. Montgomery County schools are generally very good. I'd try my best to stay away from Prince Georges County, though. Housing is much cheaper there, but there's lots of other problems (violence/crime, crazy cops, etc).

BabyBearsMom
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Depending on your price range, Rockville and Bethesda, MD are both really nice but a bit more expensive. If you don't mind living a bit further back, Gaithersburg is very nice.

ETA - Kensington, MD and Olney, MD are also nice.

Clarity
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
My MIL lives in the Rockville-Aspen Hill area and it is a really great place. Close to everything in one direction, driving past farms/horses in the other. I really don't know much about the schools but I do know that my dh went through the MCPS system.

If MIL didn't live there, I wouldn't mind living there myself. ;)

kaharris83
09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
When we first moved to this area we lived in an apartment in Silver Spring across the street from the Metro that was absolutely not in a good area. There are probably nice areas of Silver Spring, but where we lived on Layhill Rd and Georgia Ave in the Wheaton and Aspen Hill area was not one of them in 2005. Downtown Silver Spring seemed nice.

crl
09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
You might take a look at Takoma Park, the Maryland side, not the DC side.

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
When we first moved to this area we lived in an apartment in Silver Spring across the street from the Metro that was absolutely not in a good area. There are probably nice areas of Silver Spring, but where we lived on Layhill Rd and Georgia Ave in the Wheaton and Aspen Hill area was not one of them in 2005. Downtown Silver Spring seemed nice.

That are is being revitalized now, and is getting much nicer. It still needs some work, but it is coming along.

egoldber
09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
I am sending you a PM.

mommylamb
09-20-2011, 11:34 AM
You might take a look at Takoma Park, the Maryland side, not the DC side.

Catherine
:yeahthat: that is what I was going to suggest as well.

crayonblue
09-20-2011, 11:45 AM
We lived in Rockville, Gaithersburg and Germantown. I think Gaithersburg is too far from College Park for a commute. Traffic in MD is better than on the VA side but is still can take a while. I like Olney. What about Wheaton? I don't know much about it except for the nice parks.

Montgomery County schools are excellent. They are GREAT. (I miss them!)

weech
09-20-2011, 11:51 AM
We lived in Rockville, Gaithersburg and Germantown. I think Gaithersburg is too far from College Park for a commute. Traffic in MD is better than on the VA side but is still can take a while. I like Olney. What about Wheaton? I don't know much about it except for the nice parks.

Montgomery County schools are excellent. They are GREAT. (I miss them!)

Wheaton is a decent area. The mall there is kind of crappy, but that's probably not your main concern ;) Takoma Park is also nice (very crunchy, granola-y, very community oriented). Olney is beautiful, closer to farms and such. Agreed that Gaithersburg would be a really difficult commute.

A pp mentioned Silver Spring not being the nicest of areas, which can definitely be true as it's huge, but overall it's quite nice. Colesville, White Oak, Downtown, Woodmoor, Indian Springs, Four Corners are all communities I'm familiar with and like. Aspen Hill is being revitalized. Kensington is nice. All but downtown have parks and such, but you get more green space out towards Olney. I work in the Bethesda area and it's nice, though pricey.

Anyhow, good luck in your search! I love this area :heartbeat:

lowrioh
09-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Silver Spring is nice and within a short distance. Montgomery County schools are generally very good. I'd try my best to stay away from Prince Georges County, though. Housing is much cheaper there, but there's lots of other problems (violence/crime, crazy cops, etc).

Ummm, I live and work in PG county (work in College Park and live 5 miles away) and although I agree the quality of the schools past Elementary is mostly terrible, the generalization of violence/crime and crazy cops is really off base (and could be interpreted as racist). We lived in MoCo for a year before we moved over to this side of the Beltway and we were robbed TWICE. We've lived here for over 9 years and have had nothing but good experiences. I find the people are less arrogant, more friendly, community orientated and there is MUCH less traffic. Are there places I wouldn't go at 3 AM, sure but you can say that about every county in the Metro area. PG county is HUGE so vast generalizations aren't appropriate.

As far as places to live. If you want to be super close to College Park look at Old Hyattsville or University Park. Both have good Elementary and Middle Schools. There has been a recent revitalization of Old Hyattsville and there are a bunch of new restaurants, organic food places etc.

I LOVE old Greenbelt. Excellent community resources, small town feel but the Middle School there isn't great. The high school is one of the top ones in the County. Other places to look are Glenn Dale or Bowie.

If you don't mind a 30 min commute (on a good day) look at Ellicot City or Columbia MD. There is train service from EC that arrives at the College Park Metro Station.
Parts of Silver Spring are nice, but some are questionable. We lived in Wheaton and I would never live there again. None of our neighbors talked to us and the traffic was awful. But my sister works in Forest Glenn and teaches at the Elementary School there and it seems like a really nice neighborhood. (I would recommend looking around Woodlin Elementary)

If you don't mind a 45 min commute Severna Park near Annapolis isn't a bad drive. I have 4 or 5 colleagues that make that drive and it is a beautiful place to live.

Gaithersburg would be an AWFUL commute. You need to come down 270 and then across the beltway. I would stay away from NoVa as much as possible too just because of the drive. You could take metro but it is a LONG ride. Bethesda, Rockville, Chevy Chase are all nice but pricey and not a short commute (30-40 min depending on how far off the beltway you live)

It is all about priorities. Shortest commutes = not great schools. Great schools = Longer commutes. We chose to live in a small town just outside the DC line and I love it. DH used to work in the city and had a 30 min commute. My drive is 15 min if I hit all red lights. Property values are reasonable (nice house for ~$300K) and the parent organization is unbelievable. The elementary school is good and we hope that DDs will test into one of the magnet schools for middle or high school or we will put them in private school.
If you have any questions or you want a recommendation for a realtor PM me.

ETA: there is a shuttle that runs from the CP Metro/train station onto Campus every 10 min or so...so you can really live a lot of places if you want to take public transport.
Takoma Park is definitely worth looking at as well, although it is more expensive than PG and it is all older homes.

weech
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Ummm, I live and work in PG county (work in College Park and live 5 miles away) and although I agree the quality of the schools past Elementary is mostly terrible, the generalization of violence/crime and crazy cops is really off base (and could be interpreted as racist). We lived in MoCo for a year before we moved over to this side of the Beltway and we were robbed TWICE. We've lived here for over 9 years and have had nothing but good experiences. I find the people are less arrogant, more friendly, community orientated and there is MUCH less traffic. Are there places I wouldn't go at 3 AM, sure but you can say that about every county in the Metro area. PG county is HUGE so vast generalizations aren't appropriate.

My apologies - didn't mean to offend. It's a personal preference based on my own experiences with crime, law enforcement and schools. I've lived in this area my entire life and would never choose to live in PG county. No idea where the racist comment came from, but I'm a minority, so that's probably not the case. I'm glad you enjoy where you live and that the OP will have multiple perspectives to help her make her decision!

lowrioh
09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
My apologies - didn't mean to offend. It's a personal preference based on my own experiences with crime, law enforcement and schools. I've lived in this area my entire life and would never choose to live in PG county. No idea where the racist comment came from, but I'm a minority, so that's probably not the case. I'm glad you enjoy where you live and that the OP will have multiple perspectives to help her make her decision!

I wasn't accusing you of that...sorry I just get PO'd when people generalize about PG when often times they have never actually been here. I think that there is the general perception that majority black county = crime. Many of the highly educated liberals I work with would never admit to it but it definitely is an undertone in their comments. (for the record although I am a minority in this county I am not a person of color)
My apologies weech.

mommylamb
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
If you do consider PG County, a friend of mine is the mayor of a little town called Berwyn Heights, which he loves dearly and is a very nice place to live. PG county does get a bad rap, some of it deserved, but not all.

Though on the crime enforcement issue, I have a negative taste in my mouth. That same friend who is the mayor of Berwyn Heights, several years ago had a very negative experience with the county police. There was a drug racket going on where drug gangs were transporting drugs by sending them through the mail to random people, and the delivery person was in on it, who would just never deliver the drugs to the recipient. Well sometimes it went wrong and the drugs actually got delivered. In this instance, the drugs were addressed to my friend's wife, but the police found out before the got there and thought my friend and his wife were in on it (remember he is the MAYOR of a town and they still did this). They allowed the drugs to be delivered anyway, and when my friend found a package outside and brought it inside, the swat team raided the house and shot and killed my friend's two dogs, who were running away from the police because they were afraid. It was a terrible terrible experience for them. They've long since been cleared of all charges, and there was a lot of media exposure about what happened, but the cops refused to even apologize.

ThreeofUs
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks, everyone. This gives me good "dreaming" fodder, as this is all highly speculative at this point. But, oh, I'd love to move back....

I <3 the East Coast, miss the smell of salt air....

lowrioh
09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks, everyone. This gives me good "dreaming" fodder, as this is all highly speculative at this point. But, oh, I'd love to move back....

I <3 the East Coast, miss the smell of salt air....

Good luck!

crayonblue
09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
If you do consider PG County, a friend of mine is the mayor of a little town called Berwyn Heights, which he loves dearly and is a very nice place to live. PG county does get a bad rap, some of it deserved, but not all.

Though on the crime enforcement issue, I have a negative taste in my mouth. That same friend who is the mayor of Berwyn Heights, several years ago had a very negative experience with the county police. There was a drug racket going on where drug gangs were transporting drugs by sending them through the mail to random people, and the delivery person was in on it, who would just never deliver the drugs to the recipient. Well sometimes it went wrong and the drugs actually got delivered. In this instance, the drugs were addressed to my friend's wife, but the police found out before the got there and thought my friend and his wife were in on it (remember he is the MAYOR of a town and they still did this). They allowed the drugs to be delivered anyway, and when my friend found a package outside and brought it inside, the swat team raided the house and shot and killed my friend's two dogs, who were running away from the police because they were afraid. It was a terrible terrible experience for them. They've long since been cleared of all charges, and there was a lot of media exposure about what happened, but the cops refused to even apologize.

I saw that on the news. Terrible.

lowrioh
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM

That was an awful story. We looked in Berwyn for a while but decided it wasn't a good fit for us. I can see why he likes it though.

citymama
09-20-2011, 12:57 PM
The great town of Takoma Park, MD! If we moved back, that's where I would live.

legaleagle
09-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Agree with most suggestions, and I'd look at all of Howard County - schools there are pretty uniformly great and it's a bit cheaper than MoCo (where I've lived my whole life and love, but I'd definitely move to Howard if it made sense commute wise).

AlbrightRC
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I never realized there were so many Maryland people on here.

HIU8
09-20-2011, 04:19 PM
HOnestly--Montgomery County. Places in Silver Spring are ok. I live in Rockville and the commute to College Park is under 30 minutes (unless there is an accident on 495). You want Montgomery County schools. I would not live any further north than Rockville. Depends on what you want. There is Bethesda, Potomac, North Potomac, Rockville that are all nice. This is considered mid-county. Silver Spring is down-county. Gaithersburg, Germantown etc... are all upcounty and the drive will be packed daily.

crl
09-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I never realized there were so many Maryland people on here.

Well, I never lived in MD. We did live in Arlington, VA for 8 years and I worked in Silver Spring for most of that time. We switched coasts a couple of years ago. That's why I said to look at Takoma Park rather than whole-heartedly endorsing it, iykwim. ;)

Catherine

SASM
09-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Depends on how close you want to be. I have lived in both Silver Spring (almost Burtonsville) and Columbia, which is a little further north on 29. We loved Columbia. IMO, as long as its on that side of the Beltway, it's "close". ;)

egoldber
09-20-2011, 07:01 PM
You really and truly do NOT want to be commuting from Annapolis to College Park daily if you do not absolutely have to.

I know at least 2 contractors in my office who commute in from Annapolis, but neither do it daily and they work off/reduced hours.

TwinFoxes
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
You really and truly do NOT want to be commuting from Annapolis to College Park daily if you do not absolutely have to.

:yeahthat: That is a long commute. Also, you'd be using highway 50, which is the main highway to the shore. Imagine commuting on a Friday in August with 1/2 of DC trying to get to the beach. :eek: That said, I have no housing advice, i just know I wouldn't want to do that commute! :)

egoldber
09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Also, you'd be using highway 50, which is the main highway to the shore. Imagine commuting on a Friday in August with 1/2 of DC trying to get to the beach.

Exactly. And it isn't just Friday. Thursday is also a "getaway day" and also any long weekend all year.

dcmom2b3
09-20-2011, 07:35 PM
ETA: Okay, so if we're going to move, DH says "Annapolis!" So what are good places to live on the East Side of U MD CP?

Davidsonville? Riva?

And when I was commuting in to the Naval Research Lab from Annapolis, it was 50 minutes. How long is the commute in from the East now?

I'd certainly give both a look. Both were lovely -- I had many HS classmates who lived in each.

I can't tell you about schools or commute times, though a reverse commute, Capitol Hill to Parole Plaza area is about 30-35 mins (have done that for Dr.'s appts). I am still in touch with many folks from HS, though, and would be happy to harness the power of my FB network to gather intel (most, if not all of them still live in the area, or have family/friends who do). Just say the word!

I'd also consider Bowie, parts of Upper Marlboro (note that Upper Marlboro, as a postal designation, covers a huuuuuuuuuuge area, I'd have to put some thought into what I'd recommend.)

If you do move here, MD, VA, DC BBBers will have to convene to give you a proper welcome! With wine! :D

ETA: Others have mentioned the commute, which is longer than those locations suggested in response to your original Q. That's something to consider, for certain. However, a word about beach traffic: both Davidsonville and Riva are west of the Severn River Bridge, which is the first choke point for east-bound beach traffic. A colleague of mine who commutes to the beach regularly during the summer says that as long as you leave by 3:30 on Fridays you'll be fine. Maybe a flexible schedule is possible for your new employers? Also, I truly think that telework/flextime schedules have reduced the beach traffic horrors of years gone by. I think I spent a statistically, or at least personally, significant amount of time in my 20s stuck in beach traffic. I did the drive this summer and it was a breeze, comparatively.

citymama
09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
dcmom2b3 et al, I wish I'd have known you guys when I lived in DC! I was not a suburban gal though, as my name indicates. ;)

mommylamb
09-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Agreed that Annapolis is a long commute, though we have friends who commute into the city every day from there. They work together too, so they're able to do the commute together and take the HOV on route 50, but the commute is still a bear. Then again, they're coming into down town. They live in a lovely area right on the bay and there's a community beach there (and actually they're selling their lovely house now, hoping to move to Australia).

HIU8
09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
I know folks who live in Annapolis and work in DC and some who work in Baltimore. I believe those who work in Baltimore have an easier commute than those who work in DC. Pretty much all of 495 and 50 is a pain to deal with during rush hour (as in leave yourself LOTS of extra time) though. I think 97 is a little better (although I have traveled that to 32 and it's still crowded at times).

I have always lived on the west side of town in Montgomery County. I have worked in Howard County, DC and in VA. Nothing is an easy drive, but it's a price you pay in this area unfortunately.

dcmom2b3
09-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Davidsonville? Riva?

If you were going to move and had to be within a reasonable-to-short commute of U MD College Park, where would you pick?

I'm looking for good neighborhoods with decent schools and green space.

Where should I be looking on realtor.com?

Two more thoughts: Crofton, MD and Arnold, MD.

lowrioh
09-21-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a co-worker who lives in Severna Park. I will go ask him about his commute.
We have good friends that live near the Heritage Harbor Country club in Annapolis and their place is gorgeous. Acre lots in the woods and very close to the Annapolis Mall, Rt 50 and 97. I would say it would about a 45 min commute in the mornings since you would head off of 50 before the back ups into the city. Friday afternoons could be a problem on 50 but the bridge/beach traffic doesn't usually back up as far as the Riva Road exit and you would take 97 to 32 if you were going to Severna Park.

egoldber
09-21-2011, 09:48 AM
In addition to highway 50, if you take the Beltway to get to 50, there are often back-ups or accidents in that area. You can take a surface street route (like Highway 1 to 410 / East-West Highway) to get to 50, but that can be very slow, with many, many traffic lights. It can easily take 20-30 minutes to get to the Beltway or Highway 50 from UMD on any day of the week.

lowrioh
09-21-2011, 10:19 AM
In addition to highway 50, if you take the Beltway to get to 50, there are often back-ups or accidents in that area. You can take a surface street route (like Highway 1 to 410 / East-West Highway) to get to 50, but that can be very slow, with many, many traffic lights. It can easily take 20-30 minutes to get to the Beltway or Highway 50 from UMD on any day of the week.

That is so true. Rt 1 can be really bad. Most people who I work with who take the beltway take Kenilworth to Paintbranch and then over. Much less busy/lights.

Anyway. I just talked to co-workers (our building near CP Metro Station so ~ 1mile from Campus)

Severna Park (East side) ~45 min average can take as long as 1.5 on a bad day
Severna Park (West side-near 97) ~30 min average can take an hour on a bad day
West side of Annapolis ~35 min on a good day
Columbia (near 32 and 108) 30 min if she leaves at 6:30 AM, 45 min if she leaves at 7. can take 1.5 hours on a bad day
Crofton ~30 min average.
Wheaton area of Silver Spring 30-45 min depending on traffic/lights
Takoma Park~30 min (lots of lights)
Rockville/Bethesda - 45 min (depending on how far from the beltway)
Gaithersburg - ~1 hour
Bowie ~ 30 min

University Park - walking distance
Old Hyattsville -5-10 min

HTH

ThreeofUs
09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
If you do move here, MD, VA, DC BBBers will have to convene to give you a proper welcome! With wine! :D

:love2: Thanks, M-H! And thanks for the offer to hook me up with friends - I appreciate it.

Right now, this is just speculative. If DH applies for a job, then it will get serious, but there's a lot of politicking that goes on first in senior hires in his field.

Beth and Lowrioh, thank you both SO much for giving me good information on times and commutes. This is really helpful.

ThreeofUs
09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Anyway. I just talked to co-workers (our building near CP Metro Station so ~ 1mile from Campus)

Severna Park (East side) ~45 min average can take as long as 1.5 on a bad day
Severna Park (West side-near 97) ~30 min average can take an hour on a bad day
West side of Annapolis ~35 min on a good day
Columbia (near 32 and 108) 30 min if she leaves at 6:30 AM, 45 min if she leaves at 7. can take 1.5 hours on a bad day
Crofton ~30 min average.
Wheaton area of Silver Spring 30-45 min depending on traffic/lights
Takoma Park~30 min (lots of lights)
Rockville/Bethesda - 45 min (depending on how far from the beltway)
Gaithersburg - ~1 hour
Bowie ~ 30 min

University Park - walking distance
Old Hyattsville -5-10 min

HTH

Definitely helps! Thank you. Crofton and Severna Park look like decent options.