PDA

View Full Version : If refrigeration was not an option...

ha98ed14
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
and you had to pack a lunch of completely pre-packaged, individually wrapped items for DC, what would be the most healthy things you could come up with? (Brands appreciated!)

ETA: I'm talking no-prep. Like applesauce cups with the foil on top. Shelf stable.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2011, 11:40 AM
And it couldn't just be PB&J/ sunflower butter?

Beth

hillview
09-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Lara bar (has nuts so again if they are allowed) -- high protein and virtually no junk
bag of nuts (100 calorie almond packs) if nuts are allowed
Kashi cereal bar
Small box of raisins
Small bag of annie's whole wheat bunnies
Box of juice or milk

/hillary

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
I make a regular sandwich and use the Igloo ice cube trays and it works pretty well per DD1. If I send a yogurt (Trader Joe's 4 oz. yogurt) I wrap it one of the ice cube trays and put it in a ziploc bag. I also send carrots, strawberries, grapes, and celery. A banana would work too.

Honestly though I am in the camp where I tend not to freak out if a lunch isn't super cold. I mean growing up we ate non refrigerated sandwiches and yogurts growing up (and in college for me when I lived at home) and we survived. You could always leave the mayo off the sandwich too. In college I still took my lunch in a paper bag because it fit the best in my backpack.

ha98ed14
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
And it couldn't just be PB&J/ sunflower butter?

No because that involves preparation ahead of time. ;) Think emergency rations... can be kept in trunk so that when you get to school and DC has no lunch and you don't have time to go back home, you have something to send. Now that we are moving into cooler weather, I don't worry about the heat.

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I totally misread your post!

For DD1's preschool last year I put together a bag of emergency snacks and it consisted of: non chocolate granola bars, juice boxes, single serve tuna, fruit cups, raisins, fruit snacks, and vienna sausage. I would just get a bunch of that stuff and put it in a box in the back of your car. I should do that too, but so far I haven't forgotten a lunch yet:)

hillview
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I also have those apple sauce and fruit squeezers in the car.
/hillary

daisymommy
09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Think emergency rations... can be kept in trunk so that when you get to school and DC has no lunch and you don't have time to go back home, you have something to send.

Brilliant organized idea! Love it! I often feel unprepared, like shoot, I thought I remembered everything, but missed "X". I like these "back-up plans" in life!

-Squeeze applesauce or tub/cup applesauce
-Protein granola bar
-Packet of peanut butter cracker sandwiches (Late July organic are good)
-Box of milk

jren
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Starkist has a lunch to go kit that's pre-prepared tuna salad (with lo-fat mayo and relish mixed in), crackers, and a mint. DD loves it. I do have to send extra crackers, though.
Small bottles of water.
Granola bars (we send Special K b/c it's nut free).
Fruit cups.

Aarohismom
09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I keep Z bars and Lara bars in the car. I am going to add TJ's apple squeeze packs to the list.

Tondi G
09-20-2011, 02:08 PM
apple sauce cups or squeezers

granola bars

lara bars, Zbars

peanut butter (Jif makes little small cups) and crackers

cheese n crackers (not particularly healthy but my kids love them for a treat from time to time)

Dole peaches cups in juice

juice boxes/bottled water

turkey jerky

raisins

fruit snacks (my kids like the annies)/fruit leather

freeze dried fruit

snack packs of goldfish, cheddar bunnies, cheez-its, teddy grahams, pirates booty etc.

vdrake71
09-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Those small cereral boxes (individually wrapped)