PDA

View Full Version : Everything jiggles in Athleta

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I went to the new Athleta store yesterday at Fashion Island and I tried on a few things. Their samba yoga pants (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46800&vid=1&pid=870453) were not forgiving at all. I like my Tuff ones from Costco (which were half the price, if not more) much more. I can't wait for Costco to get that line in again. I also tried on these dresses in medium:boogie:, which is good and they fit fine, but every little jiggle showed esp. in my butt and I think my butt is in pretty decent shape (although I do need to lose some weight) and I'd definitely have to wear a shaper with them, and I don't want to do that on a daily basis.
Crescendo skirt (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46842&vid=1&pid=862111) (reminded me of my favorite maternity skirt)
Printed Karmindy Dress (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=862097)
Hot Creek Dress (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=861893)
Lotus dress (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46838&vid=1&pid=861897) (this one I liked the best but of course it was the most expensive one:()

I also really loved this sweater in sugar plum (http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46767&vid=1&pid=860620), but I think I can do better than $89 for one similar.

hellokitty
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow, I can't believe nobody has responded! I just wanted to say that while I love to look at the atheleta catalog, whenever I read the reviews on items that I would like to get, I always end up not ordering. I think this has happened at least 6 times, I have stuff in my online basket, but then don't order and it sells out anyway, so oh well. It seems like so many items of theirs are made for those who are extremely slender w/o breasts (even when I am thinner, I have a more, "sporty" body frame an I def have boobs). I always see reviews that complain that the bust part isn't supportive or not appropriate for anyone over a C cup and that many of their clothes show every lump or bump. Since we do not have a B&M athleta store here, there is no way I can try their stuff on IRL, but I have a feeling I would have much the same experience as you do. I actually really like the workout clothes from kohls for some reason, they are reasonably priced, look nice and are comfy.

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
This might have been a good line for me pre kids when I didn't have a butt and the biggest boobs I ever got was a 34C. I personally think it's best for single women, DINK women, or maybe moms of kids who can afford personal training to keep them in best shape, and or those moms of kids who are just blessed with good genes. So Yuppie Hippies? I know kind of an oxymoron, but that seems to me what the demographic is for this line.

citymama
09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
OK, I'll say that Athleta works really well on me - well the dresses and swimsuits do, anyway. I have not bought or tried any of the bottoms. I have a small frame and yes, A cup chest!

hellokitty
09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
This might have been a good line for me pre kids when I didn't have a butt and the biggest boobs I ever got was a 34C. I personally think it's best for single women, DINK women, or maybe moms of kids who can afford personal training to keep them in best shape, and or those moms of kids who are just blessed with good genes. So Yuppie Hippies? I know kind of an oxymoron, but that seems to me what the demographic is for this line.

ITA. I always think DINK or single women when I flip through their catalog. Like you said, it would have been perfect for me (although I would never spend that kind of $ on clothes when I was younger) pre-kiddos.

Citymama, I saw your pic, you are petite looking! I have no doubt athleta fits you well and I wish I had your A cups. I hate having big boobs, I have to size up dresses, b/c of my boobs, and then the waist part is too big, it's such a PITA when your body is disproportional.

brgnmom
09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi Annie,

I can't wait until new Tuff Athletics items are sold at Costco - I still wear the yoga pants, and yesterday, I actually purchased the black hooded jacket that matches the yoga pants and is made of the similar supplex material. The jacket (item 544378) was reduced to $11.xx at Costco, and it's form-fitting but flattering. Dh made the latter observation last night.

I haven't been to an Athleta store IRL, but I think I may run into similar issues. I don't work out at the gym currently (I'm hoping that will change as DD gets a little older and I feel comfortable with her being dropped off at the childcare center at the gym), and so even though I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, I don't feel toned. I used to be flat-chested (34b or less, especially when I weighed less during college) but somehow my pregnancies changed that.

crl
09-20-2011, 05:29 PM
OK, I'll say that Athleta works really well on me - well the dresses and swimsuits do, anyway. I have not bought or tried any of the bottoms. I have a small frame and yes, A cup chest!

:yeahthat: Except I have a dress, three camisoles with built in bra, one tank with built in bra, one pair of yoga pants, a skort, two skirts, a couple of tankinis and a tunic bathing suit cover up. I do have a flat chest, but I am not exactly petite at 5ft 7in, nor particularly thin at 130 pounds.

I'm sorry their stuff didn't work for you. I had to return one pair of pants, but everything else I have gotten from them has worked well for me. And it has all held up well too--well, except for one skirt that I somehow ripped. If it were cheaper, I'd buy a lot more Athleta stuff.

Catherine

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I love their styling and do have some of their dresses, but I find they run small (or maybe I run big :p).

AnnieW625
09-20-2011, 06:44 PM
I would love to try their swimsuits thought but I am waiting until next summer for that one. I hate buying swim suits because I hate shelf bras and the cups are always too big, and because I have a broad back/rib cage (38) most swimwear makers think most people have at least a C chest, maybe a B, but my tops are always big unless I am wearing a string top (which I haven't worn since I was barely pregnant with DD1), but have a barely B cup bra (I think I am A but have thankfully found a few Bs that work for me) size so I am really hoping that Athleta or Boden will work for me in that department next year.

I didn't buy the skirt which I did really like and got the least amount of jiggle from because I have a feeling if I lose more weight (which is the plan) that it will be too big. Kind of the same thing with the pants. I could've bought them now and worn them with a long tee shirt , but if the waist ended up being too big then they wouldn't work. KWIM?

Brgnmom, I will have to start looking at Costco for the Tuff stuff. I didn't notice any the last time I was there.

CRL, 5'7" and 130 is what I would consider thin! Good for you!

citymama
09-20-2011, 07:55 PM
If it were cheaper, I'd buy a lot more Athleta stuff.

Catherine

Ditto.

I would love to try their swimsuits thought but I am waiting until next summer for that one. have a barely B cup bra (I think I am A but have thankfully found a few Bs that work for me) size so I am really hoping that Athleta or Boden will work for me in that department next year.

Crl is thin - I am not sure what she is talking about!

Annie, I recommend snapping up a suit now while they're marked down - the fit is great for A/B cups!

DrSally
09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
ICRL, 5'7" and 130 is what I would consider thin! Good for you!

:yeahthat:

I don't have any Athleta, no I take that back, I have the corduroy skirt from ebay. Their jersey type stuff, I could see how every buldge would show. All the models are so fit in the catalog, it's intimidating.

bubbaray
09-20-2011, 09:12 PM
This is why God created Lululemon. OK, j/k, but seriously, no jiggle with Lulu stuff. Tuff Athletics is a reasonable cheaper alternative.

Neatfreak
09-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Lululemon is some kind of magic :)

Knitwear is certainly more likely to expose flaws and cling than woven fabric. I sized up in my one Athleta dress (because I am sort of curvy and lumpy), and it looks better on me than I was anticipating. The size that I *wanted* to buy was a little clingy, but the bigger size skimmed and was more flattering, kwim? I usually pull out my spanx when I wear a dress out, but I don't really have to with the dress.

crl
09-21-2011, 12:15 AM

Guess it's all relative. I was 105 on my wedding day--at 26 years old. And I have very small bones and not much muscle mass. So my 130 is rather too much fat unfortunately.

I do think different Athleta stuff fits differently. Even the whatever skirt and the wherever cord skirt (is that what they are called?) don't fit me exactly the same. And the camisoles I have from there are great because they fit my flat chest AND my pudgy tummy.

Catherine

kmkaull
09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I really like Lucy. Expensive, but they have better sales than Lululemon.

http://www.lucy.com/

npace19147
09-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I find their bra cup swimwear to work really well for bigger sizes as well. It's $$ but worth it IMO, feels me from feeling selfconscious around all the toned moms! Athleta seems to be very hit or miss - I order a ton of stuff at a time and wind up returning about 3/4 of it. But the stuff I keep I really like. The hassle factor is worth it to me, but YMMV.

mackmama
09-21-2011, 09:53 PM
I've had the same experience as OP with Athleta. I look in the catalog and see a ton of stuff I want, then I try them on and the stuff's not flattering on me. Shows too many lumps and bumps. I've only bought one thing from them - and I love it - warming hut dress. It's awesome and very flattering.

AnnieW625
09-22-2011, 01:30 PM
This is why God created Lululemon. OK, j/k, but seriously, no jiggle with Lulu stuff. Tuff Athletics is a reasonable cheaper alternative.

I wanted to stop by Lulu but I didn't have much time. I think I might tell DH to get me a gift card there for Christmas.

I believe there is a Lucy store at the same mall too.

scriptkitten
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
another rave for lululemon.

its magical.

Beth24
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
another rave for lululemon.

its magical.

:yeahthat:!!!