PDA

View Full Version : Paging Dr. BBB- mystery boo boo, and non-stop injuries

JTsMom
09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Zach's nickname is Crash Test Baby. It seems like he is constantly injuring himself. He is just one of those crazy little boys who wants to do everything his big brother is doing. In the past week, he hit his head 3 separate times, and got a bruise on his cheek. So, question 1- that's relatively normal, right? Jason was pretty rough and tumble, but he never looked like Zach looks this week. I'm ready to stick him in a bubble, but knowing him, he'd just find a way to roll it down a hill or something.

Question 2- last night, he was walking in one of my shoes, and tripped. He was already overly tired b/c he had not napped the whole day, and he was hungry (we were just about to eat). So, he cried more than usual, but I chalked it up to those reasons. He did eat some dinner, but was falling asleep during it, so he finished up, then went to sleep.

This morning, he seemed a little grumpier and clingier than normal, but was running around, jumping, etc. Then I noticed that he was avoiding going from sitting to standing- like it was bothering him to be on his knees, and he started crying. Nothing looks bruised or swollen, nothing feels off, and he's otherwise happy. He's eating and playing, just avoiding his knees. I've been watching him crouch down, get up on his tiptoes to reach stuff, and jump all with no problems.

So, any opinions? Likely just bruised and sore, or something more?

wellyes
09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Sounds like toddlerhood to me! I wouldn't worry about his knees, if he got a bruise or a little twist, he's doing the perfectly reasonable thing by taking it easy on his knees to they recover.

m448
09-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I've. spent a king's ransom on arnica pellets. All of my kids were evil kneivils in training so lots of bumps but no more bruising if I dose them with arnica right away.

ThreeofUs
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Sounds reasonable, but he might be lightly concussed. Does he seem to be disoriented at all? Eating okay? Falling much? Headache? Pupils different sizes?

I'd go to see the ped if any of these things off, or frankly if my radar was going off. Better safe than sorry, kwim?

JTsMom
09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
He didn't actually hit his head last night, at least according to DH- he did more of a belly flop. The head injuries were all last week- door frame, and kitchen cabinet. The cheek was a desk leg that he hit while crawling on a bean bag. I thought Jason's shenanigans aged me, but he had nothing on Zach! Maybe I should start stalking Craigslist for a used MRI machine. And a gross of hair dye, b/c mine is all going to be gray by next month.

JTsMom
09-20-2011, 04:36 PM
And as far as mommy radar, I'm on the fence. The weird knee thing + crying had me on high alert earlier, but he's not acting hurt at all aside from that, and you'd think if something was really wrong, he wouldn't be jumping, right? What are the odds you could jump on a broken leg/knee with no pain?

I was ready to take him in before lunch, but he seemed happier after he eat, so I decided to let him nap, and now he seems better still. I'm just paranoid about injuries b/c we've been pretty lucky in that regard so far, so I'm kind of inexperienced, and afraid I'll miss something.

mommytoC
09-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Sounds like toddlerhood to me! I wouldn't worry about his knees, if he got a bruise or a little twist, he's doing the perfectly reasonable thing by taking it easy on his knees to they recover.

:yeahthat:

hillview
09-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd keep an eye on him but sounds normal to me. I don't think you could jump with a broken leg without complaining. DS2 was JUST like this. He was an ER kid. Stitched several times before age 2 (DS1 has never had stitches).
/hillary

ThreeofUs
09-20-2011, 05:11 PM
He didn't actually hit his head last night, at least according to DH- he did more of a belly flop. The head injuries were all last week- door frame, and kitchen cabinet. The cheek was a desk leg that he hit while crawling on a bean bag. I thought Jason's shenanigans aged me, but he had nothing on Zach! Maybe I should start stalking Craigslist for a used MRI machine. And a gross of hair dye, b/c mine is all going to be gray by next month.

Okay, great! I misread and thought you were asking specifically about a head injury. But my two boys are putting me through it, too, so I understand.

JTsMom
09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
As the day goes on, he seems to be nursing it less and less, so I'm taking that as a good sign and crossing my fingers. Thanks for all of the commiseration. :)