PDA

View Full Version : Do your DC open gifts from you (& your other DC) at their bday party?

ourbabygirl
09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Just wondering... we have a few birthday parties coming up for our kids, and I can't remember what I've done in the past with DD.
They're so young they won't really know the difference too much... part of me is worried it'll look weird for them to open presents from all the guests (basically just relatives), but not their own parents & siblings, and part of me just thinks it'll just add too much time to the process (and unnecessary wrapping for the 1 year old, anyhow).

What do you do? :)

Thanks!

speo
09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I definitely like to move the process along, so we separate our presents. I don't know if we have had a party on their actual birthdays. So they open our presents on their birthdays and then all the family presents at the party.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
No, unless it is a family party. Usually though this is how it goes down here:
-on the actual birthday day we have a treat and open immediate family gifts
-we have a family party with close friends and family and they can open gifts from those guests as well as any that have come in the mail from other family
-if we have a peer party they open those presents there

Beth

wendmatt
09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
No, unless it is a family party. Usually though this is how it goes down here:
-on the actual birthday day we have a treat and open immediate family gifts
-we have a family party with close friends and family and they can open gifts from those guests as well as any that have come in the mail from other family
-if we have a peer party they open those presents there

Beth

Same here, DD likes to see her friends open the present she picked out for them (but she's 8) so we open friend presents at a friend party but not family stuff, they get opened with the family on her actual b-day. Not sure how you should do it for a little one.

JustMe
09-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I have always done presents from me and the sibling separate from the birthday party. usually the party is not on the same day as their actual birthday, and I give them the family presents on their actual birthday. Even when the party and birthday are the same day, I tend to give the immediate family presents on a different day. Too much stimulation for everyone and more fun for my kids to get gifts on multiple days than to get more on one day.

egoldber
09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
We have a small family party (cake and presents) that is different from "friend parties". Often we have another extended family party where we open presents from grandparents/aunts that is joint with other family members that tends to be in the birthday month, but not the day.