PDA

View Full Version : Armour thyroid, anyone?

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2011, 05:03 PM
My endocrinologist decided to give Armour Thyroid a try after I've been on Synthroid for 2+ years for hypothyroid/ Hashimoto's. My numbers are normal but things still just don't feel right. Has anyone been on that med? Any experience?

Beth

tiapam
09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
are you already on the armour? if so how long have you been taking it? i have tried a similar drug nature-throid (sp?). It gave me the best week of the last few years. i think i know what went wrong and i want to try it or another natural one again. have you seen this:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/things-we-have-learned/

i think this is good advice. i am going to try to get my doc to follow this.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
I have to admit that that overwhelmed me! But, it was very helpful and come end of Nov., when I have my levels checked again, I have some things to discuss if things aren't improving. I'm optimistic about this med!

eta- what do you think went wrong when you tried your med?

Beth

tiapam
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I have to admit that that overwhelmed me! But, it was very helpful and come end of Nov., when I have my levels checked again, I have some things to discuss if things aren't improving. I'm optimistic about this med!

eta- what do you think went wrong when you tried your med?

Beth

actually, i get overwhelmed by it too. imo that is part of the disease. in a perfect world, someone in your life would research this and see that you get the right treatment. it is so hard to do it yourself when you are hypo. when i was originally hyper I found it was easier to research and follow through on ...everything.

have to go will answer back on other ? later.

tiapam
09-21-2011, 05:24 PM
i did not follow the specific advice given in the above link, other than trying the natural drug. i just went on the med. i don't think i did the gradual build up and i don't think i ever got over 2 grains. i don't have a good relationship with this endo. he is not open enough to my input. he did not want to do the ferritin test, etc. normally i am pretty vocal at dr appts but for some reason i feel shut down with this one.

right now, i have pending thyroid test results. usu i call and he calls me back to give me the results and discuss. this time, i called the office and asked them to fax to me before i call him. that way i will have time to do a little research and push for what i want.

this is a hard process for me when i am symptomatic, so i keep looking for ways to make it more manageable for me.

HTH.

glbb35
09-23-2011, 10:15 AM
I am glad to see some discussion on this. I have hypothyroidism and don't feel I am getting the right treatment. I am constantly tired and sluggish. My skin is a mess and I can't loose a pound. And that is not for lack of trying. Even when I had a personal trainer 3 days a week and was doing WW I couldn't loose a pound. Even the trainer was mystified. I am tired of not being able to remember anything and feeling like all I want to do is sleep. I went to my endo doc and she added some other med to work with the synthroid. I asked her about the Armour and she said we can't get it around here anywhere so it wasn't an option. I feel is she open to listening to suggestions but still sticks with the same old thing.

I think I will take some of this to her at my next appointment. I am just over this. I am tire of feeling tired and if one more person says it is because I have 5 kids I will slap them. Of course I am tired with 5 kids but that is why I need energy. I don't sleep well and never have and am tired of waking up in a sweat. I felt this way before I had any kids so you can't use that as an excuse. In fact my old endo doc said before I had kids that I was feeling this way b/c of "female issues" WTH? Treat me and stop looking for excuses. If we truly can't get this medication here what are some of my options?

What else is recommended to try?

B

Ds 03, 06, twins 09 and new baby 7/11

tiapam
09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
I went to my endo doc and she added some other med to work with the synthroid. I asked her about the Armour and she said we can't get it around here anywhere so it wasn't an option. I feel is she open to listening to suggestions but still sticks with the same old thing.

I think I will take some of this to her at my next appointment. I am just over this. I am tire of feeling tired and if one more person says it is because I have 5 kids I will slap them. Of course I am tired with 5 kids but that is why I need energy. I don't sleep well and never have and am tired of waking up in a sweat. I felt this way before I had any kids so you can't use that as an excuse. In fact my old endo doc said before I had kids that I was feeling this way b/c of "female issues" WTH? Treat me and stop looking for excuses. If we truly can't get this medication here what are some of my options?

What else is recommended to try?

The additional med you got is probably Cytomel or its generic, right? I have been trying that (usu called combo therapy, I think)for a few months now. I feel a little better but I know I could feel much better. So I think I will be going back to the natural but probably need to get a different doctor. So I know and feel your pain about crummy docs saying stupid things and not caring that I don't feel well, just that my test results are "normal". I just got my test results and even though I requested that the free t3 and free t4 be done, they were not done.

Where do you live? I think if a patient wants a med, a pharmacy will find a way to get it. They are in it for a profit after all. Try going to the Armour website to see if you can find out about docs who prescribe it and pharmacies that carry it. Also, Armour is not the only natural one.

BabyH
09-29-2011, 01:51 PM
FWIW, thyroid meds can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Because they are dosed SO very specifically, I know that if you get a refill of pills from a different manufacturer (generic companies) it can make you feel REALLY different than what you are used to. If you can, just always double check and make sure you keep getting the exact same med from the exact same place.

tiapam
11-05-2011, 08:11 PM
I went to an integrative MD on Wed and got a Rx for Armour. I am going to start taking it on Monday.

He ordered some typical blood tests, but also a saliva test and a urine test. One is for Candida and one is for iodine. He is big on dietary changes which are going to be hard for me, I am very attached to a few foods I probably should not be eating.

I fasted for the appt and Thursday I started producing tons of um phlegm and saliva. Probably because I drank more water, and maybe not eating boosted that effect?? It's significant for me because I know I am congested.

I will report back!

val01
11-21-2011, 06:18 PM
I have tried Synthroid, Levoxyl, Naturethroid and now I am on Tirosint.

I felt awful on Synthroid and Levoxyl.

I couldn't get my body to regulate on Naturethroid. My labs were all over the place, and my antibodies were very high. I switched to Tirosint about 2 months ago. I have felt better since starting this med than I have in the past 2 years. It's a hypoallergenic T-4 only. I went for labs this morning, so I will see what that looks like later this week. With insurance, it's about $30 mth. I get it from my local CVS.

My theory on Naturethroid was that with Hashimotos, my body may have seen the medication as an invader (given that it's pig thyroid) and caused my antibodies to go through the roof. I am not a medical professional and that's my logic theory.

I hope this helps. Thyroid problems are frustrating!

Valerie