PDA

View Full Version : FB question - need some urgent advice!

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I requested to join the FB page of an organization that interests me (and I wish to apply for a job there). But I just realized that they may now be able to see my FB page! Is that true? Is there a way to block this? (or limit what they see) I am in a panic here.. not that I have anything bad on my page, but it is very frivolous :)

cdlamis
09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Is it a page that you "liked" or "added as a friend"? If you liked it, you liked a page for an organization and they can only see what you allow non-friends to see. If their page is set-up as a personal page and you friended them/it, then yes, they can see everything on your page.

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 06:31 PM
never mind.. they can't see my wall.. phew

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Is it a page that you "liked" or "added as a friend"?

I asked to join their FB page and, according to FB, when you join a group the members can't see your page unless they are your friends. Is that right?

khm
09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
its been my experience that some companies have employee groups.. i think you should just like the main page unless you are sure its a group they want outsiders to join. i think that your having to ask to join is a redflag.

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
its been my experience that some companies have employee groups..i think you should just like the main page unless you are sure its a group they want outsiders to join. i think that your having to ask to join is a redflag.a

In this case, I'm fairly sure they are trying to promote their program to the public (it's a non-profit), but now I'm wondering why I needed to request to join it.

khm
09-20-2011, 07:19 PM
exactly. why make it any harder? they want to show up on as many walls as possible. not create any barrier. have you liked their page? i'd retract the request for now....

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 07:30 PM
how would i retract it?

Part of this job is developing their FB page, so I wanted to see what they already had.

JenChem
09-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I treat every aspect of Facebook as if it is something my employers will see. Let's face it, it doesn't take a lot of savvy to crack that website and if they are in the business of developing facebook pages I would guess they can find a way to see your information. Plus Facebook is always changing their privacy policies. You can always create a new account or scrub out your old account although I don't know if things on your account are archived somewhere.

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 08:15 PM
ok, it's cancelled. phew...

I am not going near FB for some time now!!

khm
09-20-2011, 08:31 PM
they don't have a regular "like this page" page? baffling.

Globetrotter
09-20-2011, 10:48 PM
they don't have a regular "like this page" page? baffling.

I'm surprised, but this is probably why they are looking for someone to do it for them! (among other things)

ahisma
09-20-2011, 10:53 PM
It really depends on how they have it set up. If it is a group, which many non-profits have because of their interpretation of FB's guidelines, they can have it set up so you have to request to join. In that case, it does not impact their ability to see your wall.

mjs64
09-20-2011, 10:54 PM
I treat every aspect of Facebook as if it is something my employers will see.

:yeahthat: --and potential employers as well.

Ugh. I really dislike FB, for that reason and for many others. A necessary evil, I suppose.

Uno-Mom
09-21-2011, 01:53 AM
:yeahthat: --and potential employers as well.

Ugh. I really dislike FB, for that reason and for many others. A necessary evil, I suppose.

Yep. Sure, I post things that I wouldn't literally say in a job interview or directly to a private client... but I make sure I only say things that I wouldn't mind my client "overhearing" me say to a friend on the street. If that makes sense. Same here.

Especially important if you have FB friends who work or have worked with you. I'm in social services and professional relationships often morph into friendships in a healthy way. I am extremely selective re what co-workers I will friend (I do not accept requests from anybody I have to coach or train, for example) but other co-workers aren't so selective. Many of my friends are FB friends with people I have gently turned down. Then there are all the surprise connections you don't expect ... somebody knows somebody who knows somebody...