PDA

View Full Version : how to divide property ?

dec756
09-21-2011, 12:49 PM
situation: breaking off long term (8 year abusive relationship, woohoo, finally!)

how do you determine who keeps what (ie, thing you bought together)?

has anyone any experience? please share! thanks

karstmama
09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
what my ex's and i have done...

if i bought it for us, it was mine. if he bought it for us, it was his. if my family gave it to us, it was mine. if his family gave it to us, it was his. things given to the person (not an 'us' gift) belonged to the person. then we did some horse trading.

based on your other thread, i'm glad you made this decision and really hope it turns out way better than you could have ever hoped. be strong, mama.

dec756
09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
thanmk you!

Dcclerk
09-21-2011, 03:09 PM
what my ex's and i have done...

if i bought it for us, it was mine. if he bought it for us, it was his. if my family gave it to us, it was mine. if his family gave it to us, it was his. things given to the person (not an 'us' gift) belonged to the person. then we did some horse trading.

based on your other thread, i'm glad you made this decision and really hope it turns out way better than you could have ever hoped. be strong, mama.

I like this method. Then with anything left over, you take turns choosing, going back and forth until it is all split up.

nfowife
09-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Since you have a child I would consult an attorney regarding custody IMMEDIATELY. Do not delay on this. For your property I'd sell your house and split the proceeds, and take what is most important to you.

Pear
09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
We made a spreadsheet that listed assets and values. Then we assigned things to each person and wiggled it a bit until we each had a similar value. That was for big things.

For small household stuff I just decided to let most of it go. I let XH take most of what he wanted, though I did stand my ground on a few things like the dining room table I loved and I knew he only was trying to take it to sell it out of spite. You shouldn't let yourself be put in a bad position, but it helps to be willing to walk away from small things like who gets which cd or paperback book. It's really easy to start arguing over tiny things.