PDA

View Full Version : What do you make in your pressure cooker?

rolypoly27
09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking of getting myself a Fagor pressure cooker. Anyone care to share a quick, easy recipe for it? Will its use justify the price?

hellokitty
09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I just use regular recipes that typically need a long cook time and use my pressure cooker for it (ie: stews with cheaper cuts of meat). It's also great for cooking dried beans.

amldaley
09-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I don't have one - they have always terrified me. But I just listened to a show segment about them on Martha Stewart on Sirius. I so want one now!

She recommended stews & she said it was great for rissoto. She also mentioned using it for jams and jellies or cooking down fruits & veg before canning. And tomato sauce.

And IIRC, the orginal KFC was cooked in a pressure cooker.

hellokitty
09-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I don't have one - they have always terrified me. But I just listened to a show segment about them on Martha Stewart on Sirius. I so want one now!

She recommended stews & she said it was great for rissoto. She also mentioned using it for jams and jellies or cooking down fruits & veg before canning. And tomato sauce.

And IIRC, the orginal KFC was cooked in a pressure cooker.

You need to get one! Seriously, they are sooo easy. My mom's old fashioned one scared me (but even she has gotten rid of that and gotten a new one). My fagor is awesome. Seriously, all you do it put the lid on, slide the lock with a flip of your thumb to, "lock" and choose high or low pressure with the dial. When you are finished, you can let the pressure release naturally (just leave it to cool, you don't touch any knobs, the spring will go down to indicate when the pressure is gone), you can use the old fashioned water bath method (hold pot under running water in the sink), OR you can just move the dial to, "release" and it releases the pressure. The newer pressure cookers are literally idiot proof. If you do not lock it, it will NOT work and it will NOT let you open it, if it is still locked, kwim? So, there is nothing to be scared of. I leave grilling to my DH, b/c I don't like to work around fire (esp since I was a burn unit RN), but I am not scared of pressure cookers of today. If you look for, "fagor" on youtube.com, I bet you can find some videos, so you can see what mean by how easy it is.

Easier yet, get an electric pressure cooker, I would recommend the cuisinart one on amazon, it's less than $100, it is one of the few units that will go up to the same psi as stove top pressure cookers and it has a very good warranty compared to other brands. Fagor (I can't remember which other BBB poster here has it, but she loves it and raves about it all the time) has an electric one too that is highly recommended. Fagor is a well known pressure cooker brand, as with kuhn rikon (sp), so you can't go wrong with either brand.

amldaley
09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Don't know if you saw this thread - I just came across it when researching pressure cookers http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=410708

amldaley
09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
You need to get one! Seriously, they are sooo easy. My mom's old fashioned one scared me (but even she has gotten rid of that and gotten a new one). My fagor is awesome. Seriously, all you do it put the lid on, slide the lock with a flip of your thumb to, "lock" and choose high or low pressure with the dial. When you are finished, you can let the pressure release naturally (just leave it to cool, you don't touch any knobs, the spring will go down to indicate when the pressure is gone), you can use the old fashioned water bath method (hold pot under running water in the sink), OR you can just move the dial to, "release" and it releases the pressure. The newer pressure cookers are literally idiot proof. If you do not lock it, it will NOT work and it will NOT let you open it, if it is still locked, kwim? So, there is nothing to be scared of. I leave grilling to my DH, b/c I don't like to work around fire (esp since I was a burn unit RN), but I am not scared of pressure cookers of today. If you look for, "fagor" on youtube.com, I bet you can find some videos, so you can see what mean by how easy it is.

Easier yet, get an electric pressure cooker, I would recommend the cuisinart one on amazon, it's less than $100, it is one of the few units that will go up to the same psi as stove top pressure cookers and it has a very good warranty compared to other brands. Fagor (I can't remember which other BBB poster here has it, but she loves it and raves about it all the time) has an electric one too that is highly recommended. Fagor is a well known pressure cooker brand, as with kuhn rikon (sp), so you can't go wrong with either brand.

Thanks! I think I would go for an electric one just because it then frees my stop top up for something else. I guess I could replace my aging rice cooker with an electric pressure cooker, too, right?

hellokitty
09-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks! I think I would go for an electric one just because it then frees my stop top up for something else. I guess I could replace my aging rice cooker with an electric pressure cooker, too, right?

Yes, it can handle rice too! The electric ones are nice, I didn't even know about them until last yr or else I probably would have gotten one of the electric ones before getting my stove top fagor.

amldaley
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Yes, it can handle rice too! The electric ones are nice, I didn't even know about them until last yr or else I probably would have gotten one of the electric ones before getting my stove top fagor.

Just read a couple of articles and they all mentioned that electric ranges are not as good for pressure cookers and we have electric with a crappy thermostat or heat regulation - so electric it is for us!