PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about cloth wipes

boltfam
09-21-2011, 02:05 PM
DD is 16 months and in CDs. Right now, we use disposable wipes and throw them in the trash. I have read that a lot of people use cloth wipes with cloth dipes. My question is, though, when you have a baby (toddler) with solid poop, what do you do with the cloth wipes before you wash them? Do you just toss them in the diaper pail? Don't they stink? Do you rinse them out first?

kaharris83
09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
We use cloth wipes for almost every diaper change, but the really, really messy ones we use disposable wipes. We use disposable wipes when out also. If I use a cloth wipe on a poop I put it in the wet bag with the dirty diapers and wash it with them. The other dirty cloth wipes I just toss in the hamper and wash with DS' clothes.

LearningAsWeGo
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Just toss the wipes in the diaper pail. If they are especially dirty, drop what you can into the toilet or use a diaper sprayer (makes cloth diapering so much easier!). Otherwise, we usually wash every 2-3 days, so it never gets too funky :)

AnnieW625
09-21-2011, 03:48 PM
I think when I used to change cloth diapers in my pre teen and teen years (my little sister, and the kids I nannied for) I would just get another cloth diaper if it was really poopy or I'd use a disposable wipe. I think we used disposable wipes though for the most part. Even though cloth wipes will give me more laundry to wash with my diapers I have zero interest in using them. I like the instant cleanliness I get from using disposable wipes I guess.

MommyAllison
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Just toss the wipes in the diaper pail. If they are especially dirty, drop what you can into the toilet or use a diaper sprayer (makes cloth diapering so much easier!). Otherwise, we usually wash every 2-3 days, so it never gets too funky :)

:yeahthat: IMO, cloth wipes work waaaaaay better than disposable wipes on the messiest diapers.

chottumommy
09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I use cloth wipes exclusively even when I used disposable diapers with my son while he was PTing. Cloth cleans better than disposable any day. I toss the wipes with the dipes and just wash. It never gets funky.

daisymommy
09-22-2011, 08:48 AM
I honestly cannot imagine using CD's and not cloth wipes too! You spray/dump off the poop when you take care of the diaper, and then throw the wipe and diaper in pail together. That's it! And I promise you, they work 100% better than than sposie wipes. You may need 1-2 cloth wipes on a messy 3-4 disposable wipes job. And it will help prevent rashes too (no chemicals/soaps on your baby's skin).

I'll post a great thread full of links as soon as I find it. Here it is. Full of cloth wipes info.
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=391225&highlight=cloth+wipes

MamaMolly
09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I much prefer cloth wipes for nasty poops, too. I can easily wash them with the dipes, and I don't have poop sitting in my trash can stinking it up.

Here is what I do, mostly Dolly's poops are solid-ish so they roll off the dipe. But I use the front part of the dipe to swipe the poop off her tushy as I'm changing her, then wipe up any remains with a cloth wipe. If it is too sticky I use tushy spray (I like the California Baby) to moisten it.

Then the dipe gets rinsed in the potty and the whole shebang gets tossed into the pail and washed.

It annoys the bejeezus out of me when DH wipes her with a disposable wipe and then tosses it into the pail with the dipes. I often wash them by accident and the Costco Kirkland ones shred and make a mess. Grrrrrrr!

boltfam
09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I think you might have me convinced. Thanks for the thread with all the links, daisymommy. Could I just make my own soapy solution and put it in spray bottle? I think I had seen a recipe before using water and Dr. Bronners.

mikala
09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
You can use just water, make your own solution, or if you're feeling fancy LuSa organics has an awesome concentrate solution that lasts a looooooong time.

http://www.lusaorganics.com/natural-organic-skin-care-handmade-baby-wipe-juice-p/juice.htm

It only takes about 30 seconds to mix the solution with warm water and then pour it over cloth wipes in an old disposable wipes tub.

(I think it's also available on Amazon.)

ETA: their Booty Balm is also great and is cloth-diaper safe.

AustenFan
09-23-2011, 07:25 PM
I used a soapy solution with my cloth wipes for a little while with DS, but now I just keep a little spray bottle of plain ol' water on my changing table along with my wipes. I do use unscented, hypoallergenic disposable wipes with disposable diapers when we're out and about, but they've always seemed to irritate my girls. Plain water works better for us. And yes, if there's a bunch of poo on one, I try to shake it out in the toilet while I'm shaking out the diaper, but otherwise, I toss in my diaper pail and wash with my dipes. They all come clean for me.:)