PDA

View Full Version : Painting Wooden Wall Letters - Need help

Kungjo
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I bought two sets of wall letters (one for each DD) and am finally ready to paint them. One set is unfinished, natual looking wood (Wal-Mart) and the other is already white (Hobby Lobby). Is the white set considered primed?

Do both have to be sanded or can I just paint over them?

What is the best method to paint them? With a brush or sponge roller? If with a brush, how do you get an even coat?

Also, what type of paint should I use? Spray paint or acrylic paint? Acrylic has more color options from what I can see.

Anyone ever did this? Can you offer some pointers?

Thanks!

gobadgers
09-22-2011, 08:07 PM
I painted letters for both DD and DS's rooms. This by no means makes me an expert, but here is what I found:

Unfinished wood did not need sanding in my case. I'm sure it depends on the actual condition. I painted the unfinished set dark colors, and they turned out fine
I didn't sand the finished ones either (I also got white ones from Hobby Lobby). Again, I'm no pro, but they look fine and the paint hasn't chipped or peeled (4 years and counting)
I used acrylic paints to get the exact color I wanted. I'm sure spray would have been even easier, but it was a lot more expensive and the color selection was not great
I used brushes, but I'm sure sponges would have been easier
I think I had to do 3 coats before it was even enough to call it done. Not a big deal because it didn't take long to dry
Hope it works well!

hoodlims
09-22-2011, 10:07 PM
We spray painted ours from spray paint we bought at Lowe's. Came out great but very toxic smelling! As I was pregnant at the time, hubby did it outside and wore a mask.

artvandalay
09-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I decoupaged (sp?) cute scrapbook paper onto the letters. They came out really cute!

AustenFan
09-23-2011, 01:01 AM
We got wooden letters from Walmart--some were unfinished wood, some had white, and didn't sand either. Used a sponge to paint acryllic paint. I think I did two coats.

I think I let them dry for a couple hours, then did the second coat. Easy peasy!

MommyAllison
09-23-2011, 02:14 AM
I've painted the unfinished wooden letters in DD's room a couple times, and did not sand them beforehand. I used regular wall paint (the sample size paint from Home Depot is super cheap) and foam brushes. I did one coat of yellow, then 2 coats of deep purple a few years later. Have fun!

mackmama
09-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I painted letters for both DD and DS's rooms. This by no means makes me an expert, but here is what I found:

Unfinished wood did not need sanding in my case. I'm sure it depends on the actual condition. I painted the unfinished set dark colors, and they turned out fine
I didn't sand the finished ones either (I also got white ones from Hobby Lobby). Again, I'm no pro, but they look fine and the paint hasn't chipped or peeled (4 years and counting)
I used acrylic paints to get the exact color I wanted. I'm sure spray would have been even easier, but it was a lot more expensive and the color selection was not great
I used brushes, but I'm sure sponges would have been easier
I think I had to do 3 coats before it was even enough to call it done. Not a big deal because it didn't take long to dry
Hope it works well!

:yeahthat: I did this too, and I used acrylic on a brush to paint unfinished letters. No sanding. 2 coats. GL!