PDA

View Full Version : Jogging with baby, age?

smilequeen
09-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I've read 6 months and I've read reccommendations for later ages, up to a year old. I am terribly out of shape PP and I want to get back on track. So, to be clear...I'll be starting over again with the Couch to 5K thing, and I was not that strong of a runner before. I'm definitely a jogger. Right before I got pregnant I was trying to amp up to maybe running 10K and then I got pregnant and sick and the rest is history. I wasn't fast by any stretch.

So, DS3 is 7 months old. He can crawl and is trying to pull up on furniture if that kind of strength makes a difference here. He's been sitting up unassisted since about 4.5 months old. And I will be doing this on the paved running/biking paths we have around here (and the least hilly ones to start...I'm a wimp).

I haven't decided what stroller to even buy yet, but I'm getting ready, so is 8 months OK to have him in the stroller and start the C25K? Trying to bite the bullet and buy the Bob Revolution or MB Terrain. And, heck, if you think one of those is better than the other, let me know. It's going in the back of a minivan for now...I'm not sure I'd need a fully dedicated running stroller. I'd rather be able to sell off my other AT stroller (MBUS, definitely not good for running) and use this one for everything.

arivecchi
09-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Talk to your pedi, but I would personally wait until my child is 12 months. I freely admit I am very conservative about these issues. Here are some articles on the subject:

http://www.essortment.com/baby-safety-jogging-stroller-safety-56186.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/364653-at-what-age-can-you-use-a-jogging-stroller/

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/faqs.php#g8 (second question under conversion kits)

http://www.bobgear.com/faq2

This article addresses bicycle trailer use but I think explains a lot of the issues that you run into when jogging as well:

http://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm

For a younger child, I would recommend the Terrain. The seat is quite structured and padded. Adjusting the harness for younger kids should be easy to do with the no re-thread harness. I also like the handbrake. HTH.

ECUPirateMom
09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I was in the exact same position as you and ended up purchasing the Bob Revo. I started (slow) jogging on completely smooth paved paths when she was about 5 months old. My pediatrician said as long as she had good head/neck control and I'm not jarring her with bumps or going off road stuff she will be fine (she's now 9 months old and LOVES our jogging time)! We LOVE our Bob...by far, our best baby purchase to date!!

EDIT: We also used the body snuggler thingy with head support.

ECUPirateMom
09-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Just to quote one of the articles arrivechi was referencing...
"It is recommended by many that children under 12 months old do not ride in jogging strollers at all due to the possible rough ride. If you choose to take your newborn, take care to ensure his ride is as good as yours. Stay on the smooth pavement, recline the seat as far back as it will go and ensure the harness is properly fitting and locked."

mackmama
09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Talk to your pedi, but I would personally wait until my child is 12 months. I freely admit I am very conservative about these issues.

:yeahthat: I'd wait until 12mo. I also recommend the Terrain.

legaleagle
09-23-2011, 01:01 PM
I am also extremely conservative on this stuff (still rf'ing my 3 year old), but the more doctors find out about the lasting effects of even minor traumatic brain injury, the more conservative I get.

Of course, I haven't gotten up the guts to say something to an acquaintance who posted on facebook about 1) jogging with her 3 year old and 5 months old, 2) in a sit and stand (and presumably infant carseat) 3) up and down steep hills. And this is a smart woman!

bubbaray
09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
On dr's advice, waited until 12m with both girls.

BayGirl2
09-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm in a similar situation and buying a double jogger soon. But I've decided if I do a race/event w/in the next year it will be a long walk instead of a run. I'm a super slow jogger but will focus on long, hilly, and intense walks while DD is under a year.

After 1 year I'll start jogging with her, but I just don't think its worth it to risk it earlier. If I really feel the need to run/jog I'll do it without the stroller or with my 2yo DS only. This is one where I feel there is some known risk that is totally within my control (and responsibility) to avoid.

roseyloxs
09-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Talk to your doctor, get a great jogger like you mentioned and stay on very smooth pavement and I think you would be fine at 8 months especially doing the couch to 5k which starts off with pretty short runs. Then just keep an eye on your baby and make sure there isn't too much jostling going on.

smilequeen
09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm...I'm going to have to put more thought into this for sure. I don't want to take any chances, but every time I hop on the treadmill, he decides he's no longer happy without me :)

There are some super hilly paths around here that I could walk on if I decide not to jog just yet.