PDA

View Full Version : sports bra recommendation

Percycat
09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
This may belong in the clothes forum....

My DH and I are starting a boot camp on Monday and I am looking for a bra recommendation. I am overweight and wear size 16/18 clothes. I think my bra size is 38C. I expect we will be doing a lot of running.

What do you suggest? What should I look for as far as materials/features/style?

Thanks for your help.
Angela

hellokitty
09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
I actually like the target champion c9 brand. Also, if you have a VSX (victoria secret's sports line store, they do not have an online store, only B&M), I REALLY like the bras that I got there. I got it there when they had a big semi-annual sale. Too bad, the closest VSX is over an hr away, but since I am not crazy about regular victoria's secret bras, I was surprised how much I like the VSX line. BTW, I'm a 36DD, just for reference.

Mrs.Skeeter
09-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I highly recommend any bra by Moving Comfort. They are awesome! You will find them in any running store. I am a size 14/16 and wear 36-38C. They run around $80 but they are totally worth it. You won't regret it.

Things to look for... (in my opinion, of course!)
1. avoid cotton, it will chafe
2. get a wicking fabric or something with stay dry technology
3. it should fit tightly (across your bust, not under) but not be uncomfortable, you don't want a lot of umm...movement when you are exercising, ESPECIALLY for running - you will be uncomfortable really fast if it isn't tight enough. Go to a running store, they will fit you.
4. the wicking fabric won't work if you use fabric softener, so wash it like normal then hang dry. It will last longer in the long run and maintain its wicking ability.
5. wide shoulder straps

In terms of style try on lots of types. I personally despise the over-the-head types because I end up accidentally stretching them to get them on. I like the style where is clasps in the back or front. Lastly, make sure the straps are wide enough at the shoulders to support you adequately while not digging into you.

I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy the Boot Camp. Good luck!

lizzywednesday
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I highly recommend any bra by Moving Comfort. They are awesome! You will find them in any running store. I am a size 14/16 and wear 36-38C. They run around $80 but they are totally worth it. You won't regret it....

I have to disagree: I've bought Moving Comfort bras in the past and never paid more than $42 each!

I've worn the Maia and the Fiona, both of which would be fine for a C/D cup.

Of the two, I preferred the Fiona when I was closer to a "C" cup and the Maia when I was a "D" and higher cup. (Currently, I'm an "E" due to nursing, so I've got a lot of different issues that need to be dealt with.)

They're encapsulation/soft cup style bras. I believe the Maia has underwire, but it's been forever since I last wore mine, if I still have it around the house. The Fiona combines soft-cup and compression to hold you in. Both models have wicking fabric linings.

Truthfully, I don't like the Champion C9 bras for anything higher impact than yoga. Compression-style bras just don't cut it for a bigger chest and high impact activities, IMO!

Percycat
09-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks ladies for the recommendations. We start tonight and unfortunately I didn't get to go shopping over the weekend and will need to use one of my old bras. I will check out Target and look for Moving Comfort. The Luna style looks like it would be comfortable. I found a couple stores in my area that sell and fit.

Thanks again.
Angela