PDA

View Full Version : Mac tippyness... with a kid in it?!

babybell
09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I knew the Mac was tippy when I bought it but I got it anyway (I have a Quest). Today I had my diaper bag on one handle (I know, like you're not supposed to) and another (very light!) bag on the other (double bad, I know). The stroller was near enough to the car that DD (22 mos) pushed on the car with her foot and the stroller tipped backwards! Luckily I saw the whole thing and caught it with my spare hand before it hit the ground.

I knew the Mac was tippy... but not THAT tippy!

WatchingThemGrow
09-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow, glad your DD is okay! I always push the seatback forward (with a kid in it) and stuff my bags into the basket. Can't believe your DD kicked it over!

babybell
09-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Wow, glad your DD is okay! I always push the seatback forward (with a kid in it) and stuff my bags into the basket. Can't believe your DD kicked it over!

I know! I really, really should get into the habit of using the basket more, but I often don't because it's kind of hard to access.

Multimama
09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
I know! I really, really should get into the habit of using the basket more, but I often don't because it's kind of hard to access.

Yeah, putting stuff in the basket really helps with tippiness. Even just throwing a water bottle in there before you set off helps. Also you could consider Skip Hop Saddlebags. I've never used them on a Mac, but people say they help too and might help you resist putting things on the handles. Glad your DD is okay!

Mamabear4
09-24-2011, 03:16 PM
That happened to me when DS1 was about 14 months - I ended up changing diaper bags so I wouldn't overload it anymore.

babybell
09-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, putting stuff in the basket really helps with tippiness. Even just throwing a water bottle in there before you set off helps. Also you could consider Skip Hop Saddlebags. I've never used them on a Mac, but people say they help too and might help you resist putting things on the handles. Glad your DD is okay!

Actually, I did have a water bottle in the basket, now that I think about it. A pretty full one, too. I guess it was just the right amount of stuff and she pushed the car at just the right angle. I don't even have a large diaper bag; it's just a small/medium tote.

blondflava
09-25-2011, 02:39 AM
Wow glad you caught it!
Was the break on? I imagine it could happen with more strollers if kicked of the car (or wall or anything other) like that with the break on. It should just roll of without the brake engaged, IMO (still not good at a parking lot!).
I second the saddlebag by Skip Hop, they look small but are amazingly roomy, and clip on the side of the frame. Just yesterday I managed to fill mine with 3 diapers, bag of wipes, juice box, plastic container with cookies, ziploc with goldfish, small baggie with tissues, not mentioning my wallet and phone. The stroller (mac too) didnt tip empty with a heavy purse and shopping bags on the handles!

jerry_mishkata
09-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Saddlebags are great, but bear in mind that you have to take them off when folding the quest. Or at least, I never figured out how to attach them on my umbrella stroller so I don't have to remove them when folding. That took all of their versatility away for me.

arivecchi
09-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I can fold my Ryder with the saddlebag on.

Any stroller will tip if you load up the handlebars too much. My terrain tipped once when my older son put his weight on the handlebar with my younger one in the stroller. It's just physics. Just know what the limits of your stroller are.

Multimama
09-25-2011, 09:58 AM

Any stroller will tip if you load up the handlebars too much. My terrain tipped once when my older son put his weight on the handlebar with my younger one in the stroller. It's just physics. Just know what the limits of your stroller are.

This is so true. And it could be worse. Al isn't nearly as tippy as the Superlite. :)

Maybe I should finally try putting some saddle bags on my Fastfold. I have one. Do I need two to balance out the weight?

babybell
09-25-2011, 11:46 AM

That's so true.

Is there a reason why the saddlebags aren't on their website? Am I missing something?

arivecchi
09-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I think they may have been discontinued? Amazon has them in stock if you want to try them out. They have free returns for items purchased from their own store.

babybell
09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I think they may have been discontinued? Amazon has them in stock if you want to try them out. They have free returns for items purchased from their own store.

Ah, okay, makes sense. Thanks!

legaleagle
09-25-2011, 09:19 PM
There are also these: http://www.hamsterbags.co.uk/

They ship to the US and according to their FB page they'll have a US distributor soon....

3sweetgirls
09-26-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't remove my saddlebag on my quest when I fold it. I think it's the perfect solution for avoiding tippyness.