PDA

View Full Version : PSA: check your tire pressure (on air tire strollers)

candaceb
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM
I got a MB Swift in June after a tip from a strollerista about a fabulous bargain on a floor model on ebay. It has been a long process to get it fixed up, but I finally had the last part I needed and got it installed, and had a good-as-new stroller. I enthusiastically pumped up the tires after installing the handle adjuster. This evening, I heard a big bang and couldn't figure out where it came from. When I went out to the garage to put something else away, I noticed that the tire on the MB was deflated. I looked at it and realized that the whole tube had blown, and in the process it broke the plastic rim. So now I'm paying another $41 to MB to replace a part that I replaced a couple of months ago. UGH. Moral of the story: check the air pressure when you inflate your tires.

lele
09-25-2011, 08:16 PM
good advice, thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
09-25-2011, 10:23 PM
goodness, what trouble you've had!!

Also, it is a good idea to check all your air tire strollers at the change of each season since pressure changes with the weather.

Minnifer
09-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Ummmm... how exactly do you check the pressure???:bag

I just got my first air tire stroller, and got a pump from a local bike store. I had them show me how to use it but (I'm embarrassed to admit) I still kinda don't get it. It has a little gauge thingy on it that you watch as you pump, but since it moves/fluctuates (like a compass) as you pump, I don't really understand how you can be sure you're not pumping it too high, and I'm worried I'm going to do the exact same thing (sorry that happened, btw!).

lhafer
09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
I have an automatic air pump, and just so I don't blow a tube, I let all the air out first and then pump it up.

The pump gauge should be stationary if you hold off a few seconds between pumps...then you can know which pressure you are at.

roseyloxs
09-26-2011, 03:59 AM
I bought a used MBUS last summer that had a cracked rim. She openly admitted she over-inflated the tire. Its a good warning. I use a bike foot pump to always pump my tires and it has a gauge on it. If you hold your foot down on the end of your pump you can read the psi.

candaceb
09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Minnifer, what did you end up with after all of your debate?????

I was thinking I would check the pressure with one of those little gages that my dad showed me how to use when I first started driving... I didn't know there were pumps with pressure things built in - I will be looking for one of those at Target today!