PDA

View Full Version : Need a buggy board recommendation for..

fedoragirl
09-25-2011, 10:44 PM
...a Baby Jogger City Single AND a MB Swift. I have both these strollers and a 2 week old. I have the carrycot for the Swift and would like DD to ride on a Buggy board. I also want to use it for our BJ.
Is there something like a universal board? DD is very tall for her age (36 inches at 20 months) so I should be able to accommodate her while walking around.

WatchingThemGrow
09-25-2011, 10:52 PM
obviously, the BJ glider board would fit on the BJ single. IME, a 20 mo can't reliably exist on a board safely. A 3yo can, but even our 2yo's have always needed a seat for safety. We have a Valco Hitchhiker on the BJCED.

todzwife
09-25-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a valco hitchhiker on my city mini for my lazy 5 year old LOL!

roseyloxs
09-26-2011, 03:56 AM
I have a valco hitchhiker on my city mini for my lazy 5 year old LOL!

...and another poster has used the valco HH on the swift. 20 months is a bit young but all kids are different. I usually recommend boards for 3 year olds and up but my 2 year old is fantastic on the board. She has no problem holding on with both hands and remaining on the board while we are moving. She is not the full time rider though. She only uses the board when my 4 year old wants a break in the seat.

arivecchi
09-26-2011, 07:26 AM
The hitch hiker works really well with the swift.

Multimama
09-26-2011, 09:25 AM
I think the Freerider has an adaptor for the BJCM so you could get that and use it on both. This might be good because it has a handle that the child can hold on to.

But can you fully recline the seat(s) for a newborn and also use a ride-on board? I have no personal experience, but always thought that usually didn't work.

WatchingThemGrow
09-26-2011, 10:07 AM
But can you fully recline the seat(s) for a newborn and also use a ride-on board? I have no personal experience, but always thought that usually didn't work.
True. I can only have a board rider on the non-reclined BJCED seat. With the Bugaboo, the seat has to be up. I believe it works with the carseat, though.

pastrygirl
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
In terms of age, my 2-year-old LOVES the HH Hitchhiker, and has for months (so maybe since he was 1.5?). I have to watch him carefully and make sure he doesn't just step off, though.

I use it on my BJCM and MB Swift. I don't recline the seat, though. My 5-year-old is usually the one on the board, and he sometimes sits on it instead of standing.

arivecchi
09-26-2011, 11:02 AM
But can you fully recline the seat(s) for a newborn and also use a ride-on board? I have no personal experience, but always thought that usually didn't work. The HH might work with a fully reclined seat in some strollers, but one would have to install the board pretty far out, which would make it harder to push the stroller. IMO, kids are ready to consistently and reliably use a board at age 3+.

roseyloxs
09-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Definitely not on the BJCM unless you want the rider on the outside of the handlebar which I don't think would be worth the trouble. To the OP, maybe you can wear your newborn until they can sit more upright (9 months maybe). Your oldest will also be more age appropriate for the board at that time too.

fedoragirl
09-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Oh, I hadn't thought of reclining the seat on the BJCM. Well, I could use the HH with the carrycot on the MB Swift, couldn't I? As for DD being too young to ride on the buggy board, I fully agree but other than buying a double stroller, I don't think I have any other choice. And I am in Europe, so strollers are very expensive here. I have three single strollers--BJCM, MB Swift, and Cybex Callisto and only one gets used. So, I was trying to avoid buying yet another stroller. But if you wise and experienced mamas advise one for a younger child and a newborn, I'll have to start looking into those.
Thanks!
ETA: I am including the link where one can buy double strollers here. Peg Perego Aria double seems to get good reviews. I'd like to keep our budget to below 200. I am just not familiar with these brands and the ones I am familiar with cost a lot more.

http://www.baby-walz.de/Autositze-Kinderwagen/Kinderwagen/Zwillingskinderwagen/group/305/L/0/Geschwisterwagen.g305.0.html?sortTOPSELLER=desc

roseyloxs
09-27-2011, 07:19 AM
If only one of your singles gets used can you sell the other two to fund a double?

Multimama
09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
If only one of your singles gets used can you sell the other two to fund a double?

I agree with this. With two kids that young I think you really need a double (especially after a c-section!) and the three singles you have all seem really similar. I'm sure keeping just one of those could meet your needs.

Is there anyway you could get someone from the US to bring you the double stroller? That would open up your options a lot for a double at a lower price point. Maybe having someone send you one from the US would still keep things cheaper.

FWIW, the Peg Perego Aria is supposed to be a terrible stroller (here, at least), although I have no personal experience. Remember to factor in resale value when you think about how much you are willing to spend. (Pegs don't have very much here in the US at the moment.)

legaleagle
09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I put my 3 year old and his 3 year old friend (so ~60 lbs total) in the aria double at buy buy baby and I literally could not get it to move. The seats are really short too.

fedoragirl
09-28-2011, 04:58 AM
I could ask my parents to get one but don't airlines allow a free stroller check if you have a child accompanying you?

roseyloxs
09-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I could ask my parents to get one but don't airlines allow a free stroller check if you have a child accompanying you?

Even if it wasn't free it would still beat the normal shipping charges. I have heard to take it out of the box and assemble it though to avoid custom charges.