PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about American Girl Dolls?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-26-2011, 01:19 AM
And of course the books,clothes,furniture,pets,etc.etc.etc.;)

DD1 has asked for Samantha. We've read several of the book collections and she likes the character the best. We've looked at the just like me dolls and none look "just like her".So we've decided to stick with the historical ones.

I love the clothes myself and would enjoy having felicity actually for the dresses were I 9 years old again.

So does anyone else want to talk dolls for big girls?

Rainbows&Roses
09-26-2011, 03:06 AM
So you are going to find a used Samantha?

The dresses for Felicity and Elizabeth were gorgeous. We were just at AG yesterday for my DD's bday and were unimpressed with the new things they have. She had a hard time spending the money she was allotted and in fact did not spend it all which has never happened in the 3-4 years we have been going.

The place was busier than ever, so obviously people are still buying, but I think Mattel has downgraded the brand considerably with each passing year and each new retirement of the historical dolls and the items that go along with them and their focus on the JLY dolls and the innerstar university.

Cecile is a gorgeous doll and Marie Grace is also pretty, but looks very similar to Rebecca. Their items are nothing special IMO although the fancy fairy dress and fairy accessories are cute and were among the things my DD did purchase. She also bought Kanani who is not cute at all IMO. I thought she was gorgeous in the catalog, but her face mold is not a favorite. All the adults in our group wished our girls were not purchasing her for that reason and for the fact that her hair is super long and the quality seems not as good as older dolls.

So if I were you, I would look for used items on ebay or wherever. Sadly, there is nothing in the store that is anywhere near the quality of the Felicity/Samantha outfits. I never balked at paying $28 for an outfit from their collections as they were worth it in AG value, but now everything is way overpriced for what you get.

traciann
09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Samantha is retired so the only way to get her is used. My 6 year old loves her JLY doll she got for her birthday. I opted to do the JLY doll because she was ready for the larger doll after 3 years with bitty baby...but a little young for the historials. I have been happy with the accessories I have purchased and the quality has been great for us.

Melanie
09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Dd has Elizabeth and just got Felicity for her B-day. They're also retired and you have to get them used or on eBay (or craigslist). We opted for Elizabeth over a JLY b/c she looked quite enough like Dd and I liked that her face mould was special and slightly different. Plus their clothes are awesome, I agree.

Your Dd is much older than mine, so the cautions I have is just to be careful with their hair but it may not be as much of an issue for your Dd.

Dd hasn't gotten the books yet, she's really not at the age range for them, and we jumped the gun a bit with the dolls. ;)

KrisM
09-26-2011, 08:30 PM
DD picked out a My American Girl doll, which I think is the new name for JLY dolls, this summer. She now has an extensive wish list! She really would like Kanani and Julie. She wants quite a few accessories. She has some hair styling accessories and plays with them daily. She has set up a styling salon for her doll. She has a couple outfits, and uses them, but doesn't really want more. We've been happy with most everything. The spray bottle that came with a hair kit didn't work and they sent a new one quickly. She really enjoys the doll and loves to do her hair.

nfowife
09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
My DD has asked for one for Hanukkah. Leaning towards Rebecca because she's a Jewish doll and looks similar to my DD, not really any other reason. We don't live anywhere near an AG store. This will be her big gift and relatives will probably get her a few outfits and accessories and maybe 1-2 books that we can read together.

TxCat
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
This thread is making me very happy that my mom saved my AG dolls and accessories from 25 years ago!! :eek:

Melaine
09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
This thread is making me very happy that my mom saved my AG dolls and accessories from 25 years ago!! :eek:

Absolutely! I have my Samantha and I am really glad I kept her in pretty good shape.

mom2binsd
09-26-2011, 09:36 PM
I was amazed at the store how many JLY dolls there are, so many more than in the catalog...

I have found a wonderful seller on ebay who makes clothing to fit AG dolls, cheap shipping and high quality, I don't care for many of the AG clothes and this seller has cute stuff.

http://stores.ebay.com/dorisdollboutique

DD has some video's (got three for 14.99 at TJMaxx) and of course, Felicity and Samantha are on her wishlist....I'll be watching ebay, but don't think I'll get anything under about 120.00, I really don't want one unless it's in EUC or preferably new.

When buying used, if they mention a "X" it means that the item was returned and probably purchased at their "charity" sale they run in Wisconsin in the summer...I think I'd be fine with buying one with an X, it usually on the bottom not in plain sight. I guess AG does not sell dolls that have been opened but returned.

AngelaS
09-27-2011, 06:37 AM
We have quite a few dolls living here.

We've been to the Madison sale--the Xs on the bum are really small (and can be removed sometimes). The dolls from the sale are just as nice as the ones we have from the store. Many of ours are from garage sales too and if you google, there are lots of ways to spruce up gently used dolls. :)

Percycat
09-27-2011, 11:41 AM
What is the Madison Sale?

AngelaS
09-27-2011, 12:38 PM
It's held every June as a fund raiser for the Madison children's museum. They sell dolls that have been returned and discontinued stuff.

katydid1971
09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
I bought DD all the Kirsten stuff when she was discontinued last year :bag Its hidden all over the house for when she gets older. I have been looking at the gotz dolls that they are selling at PBK. Gotz made the original AG dolls and many feel they are much better quality. DD was looking at these in the PBK catalog this morning and telling me she wants one (but she wants every doll she sees.) They are a little bit cheaper that a JLM AG doll and have really cute outfits.
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/gotz-doll-collection/?pkey=dgirls-toys