PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: Cancel Catalogs = Reduce Waste

mypa
09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Lately I have been getting tons of catalogs in the mail, especially from all sorts of companies I've never ordered from. And as the holidays are approaching I'm sure I'll be getting even more. I used to just dump them in the recycle bin, but in order to minimize all this waste, I've been calling the catalog companies to be taken off their mailing list as they come in the mail. Only takes a few minutes and reduces so much waste. Go do it!

KrisM
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Good reminder! I hate that they send them when you order online. My mom orders music things for DH for Christmas and now she gets music catalogs! Crazy.

karstmama
09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
i usually take them to work. maybe someone else actually has a dog. i don't and haven't since '92, which is why i've called and called that catalog and they send it anyway...but that's another bitch!

lizzywednesday
09-26-2011, 02:35 PM
You can also unsubscribe from many companies' mailing lists by going to:

https://www.catalogchoice.org/

pantrygirl
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM

:yeahthat:

That's what we do here.

citymama
09-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Another :thumbsup: for catalog choice - and thanks OP for the reminder!

mypa
09-27-2011, 12:38 AM

I thought there might be an Opt-Out thing somewhere for mailings, thanks for letting us know.

Now, if only I could prevent salespeople from knocking on my door...I had 3 of them today.

lizzywednesday
10-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Now, if only I could prevent salespeople from knocking on my door...I had 3 of them today.

You still have door-to-door sales in your neck of the woods? Wow. We don't.

If we did, however, I'd post a "No solicitations" sign on our front door.

mypa
10-06-2011, 04:52 PM
You still have door-to-door sales in your neck of the woods? Wow. We don't.

If we did, however, I'd post a "No solicitations" sign on our front door.

Yes, all the time but they are for some sort of home improvement/pest control services. One got me all ticked off by their deception. He said he was going around to all the gas company customers and doing free home energy audits, never once mentioned he was selling anything. Wanted to set up an appointment. He gave the impression that he represented the gas company but I knew there was no way this could be true. So, I flat out asked him what he was selling and looked at his clipboard...he was selling solar panels.

I live in an older neighborhood so people are always coming around trying to sell replacement windows, insulation, etc (we already did all this), plus we have tons of ants/spiders/termites so pest control companies are also coming around.

Then we have neighborhood kids selling fundraising stuff.

Someone is always ringing the doorbell.

I think it's time for the "No Solicitation" sign.

artvandalay
10-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Great post! :thumbsup: I too, have been getting catalogs for companies I've never heard of and I hate it. So much waste!

Also, what about phone books? I never use them! I use the internet for everything.

I get 2 different sets of phonebooks each year from two companies, plus a 4th smaller one that is just local. So, we get a total of 5 phonebooks each year that go straight into recycling.